Doing a Gifford in 7mm...

Ian_C

Western Thunderer
It's railway modelling, but then again it isn't quite. I'm a great fan of Colin T Gifford's photographs so I thought I'd have a go at 'doing a Gifford' on some 7mm models I've been working on. Evening drawing in at a country station. Old hand and new recruit contemplate a wagon that's ended up in the wrong place for tomorrow morning's shunt.

CTG 1-108 v2.jpg

You could almost run a caption competition for it couldn't you?

"Well young 'un, if tha' wants to move it then tha'd better find the pinch bar".​

It's a composite of 3 photographs. One with wagon and figures, one with distant landscape and sky, the other with foreground grass. The wagon and figures are 7mm. The figures are from Modelu and the wagon is from the MMP kit for the diagram 1/108 mineral wagon in S7 (though who can tell?). I'm starting out in S7 and there's all my 7mm stock in one photo! There's almost as much time faffing with Lightroom and Photoshop as there is modelling. Well, not quite.

As somebody who doesn't have much room for a layout (certainly not in S7) this is an alternative. It's more like military modelling. Small scenes, dioramas, snapshots of everyday life on the railway.

Osgood

Western Thunderer
Ian - are you familiar with the unusual effect achieved by Cavalier & Silcock in their book 'Visions of Steam' by printing images onto what I can only describe as 'bubbly' textured paper?

I'd be very interested to see your image done in this style!

Tony

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
It's more like military modelling. Small scenes, dioramas, snapshots of everyday life on the railway.

In some ways this can be more rewarding - and being able to try out different techniques in a small area. The alternative is to build a series of dioramas and join them up into a layout. Good picture :thumbs:.

You could almost run a caption competition for it couldn't you?

'This is the Southern Rail 17.05 London Bridge to Brighton'

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Never mind the wagon - sorry David - what makes this picture for me is the natural poses of the figures, those two railway servants say so much about how good is the modelling, the composition, the result.

Keep on :thumbs: .

Ian_C

Western Thunderer
Ian - are you familiar with the unusual effect achieved by Cavalier & Silcock in their book 'Visions of Steam' by printing images onto what I can only describe as 'bubbly' textured paper?

I'd be very interested to see your image done in this style!

Tony
Cavalier & Silcock eh? New to me. I shall investigate...