End of The Line Warley 2014

flexible_coupling

Western Thunderer
There's some brilliant videos on Youtube of End of the Line, including the stunning R/C lorry creeping around. I didn't realize the layouts' actual size till I saw those photos... chock full of inspiration.

TimC

The End of the Line won best 7mm layout at Warley this year.

The end of the 2014 Warley show also marked a change of ownership and I am now the proud owner of the layout. It is now temporarily installed at my local club so I can get it prepared for the Sodbury Vale Model Railway Show in Yate on 31 January 2015.

Here are a few shots with my stock and my RC lorry, which did feature on the layout in the last hour (when I escaped from operating Clarendon) on Saturday at Warley but it needs finishing off - I only got it operational 2 days before the show! It is a conversion of another IXO Models Ford Thames and follows more or less what Giles had done with his vehicle. I have a Vanguards Morris Commercial hot on its heals and I have to thank JimG of this parish for machining up some essential bushes for the front wheels of both lorries.

15689110250_35c0273d69_c.jpgThe End of the Line - Ruston 48DS, Gmeinder 20 and Ford Thames by TimC's Photos, on Flickr

15256785143_06788f7351_c.jpgThe End of the Line by TimC's Photos, on Flickr

15689101270_ce8b0c7b5a_c.jpgThe End of the Line - Ruston 88DS by TimC's Photos, on Flickr

Over the next few months, I plan to expand both the road and the rail traction and the layout will be exhibited at a number of shows in the future as Giles has produced a wonderful model in both concept and execution and it deserves to be seen by a wider audience.

adrian

Flying Squad
I am now the proud owner of the layout.
Congratulations, I followed the build on RMWeb avidly. Giles really pushed the boundaries and showed what was possible with action outside the limited scope of locos, it definitely raised the bar. However despite all that the first thing I focussed on was the couple of trees near the back scene - very effective.

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
However despite all that the first thing I focussed on was the couple of trees near the back scene - very effective.
S'funny, first thing I liked was the lovely winding narrow gauge track, it just looks wonderful :)
You must be a proud owner Tim, congratulations :thumbs:
I guess the question is what is Giles up to next (and what shows are you going to?)

Steve

Simon

Flying Squad
Just spotted this, congratulations Tim and great to see your stock running on it too.

Yet another reason to visit your excellent ecclesiastical event in the New Year:thumbs:

Simon

TimC

Thanks guys!

Osgood - The 48DS is from an incomplete Impetus kit I picked up second hand a few years ago. It was missing all the castings so I had to source or make the missing bits but the kit fell together, a real pleasure to build. The 88DS is based around some laser cut components by York Model Making. I wrote it up on RMweb see http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/78470-timcs-7mm-industrial-workbench-ixion-fowler/
. The components are not readily available as 'Ruston' on RMweb (and here?) had the original art work done and I got permission from him to acquire a set. To be honest, its more of an aided scratchbuild and there are some quite challenging bits - for example, everything above the bonnet doors is built up with filler and shaped accordingly. The chassis is scratch built and I did some 3D printed axleboxes. It looks like an 88DS but don't get too near it with a scale drawing and a vernier. One would hope that as Mike Edge has now introduced a 4mm 88DS kit, it'll not be too long before an 88DS kit comes out in 7mm.

Giles has a new project, he has posted details on RMweb and NGRM-online, its a cable works/factory and includes a working gantry crane. There is a great clip on Youtube, see here. The crane has been written up and published in Narrow Gauge and Industrial Railway Modelling Review too. I'm not sure how far he has got with the rest of the layout.

The End of the Line will appear at Yate in January and once I have the firm confirmations I'll post any other exhibitions that the layout is due to appear. There are two more shows in the spring of 2015 though where I'm hopeful that the layout will attend, but I'll keep you posted.

Once I've made some more progress, I'll start a proper thread as I see this one is in the Gallery section. I better change my avatar too - can't see me getting around to my JLTRT Class 50 for a bit....

Osgood

Western Thunderer
Thanks Tim. I'll take a look at the links. Dead scale or not they both certainly look the part and weathered nicely to fit in with EOTL's atmosphere.

Tony