First Generation DMU Detail Photos

David Mylchreest

I have in my collection three Bachmann DMUs; two 108s and an original Derby Lightweight. The 108s have been converted to P4 using AGW and/or Branchlines wheels the other is still OO. One of my very long term projects is to use the Replica Railways Chassis to rid myself of the enormous motor block that Bachmann use in the Brake Compartments and I thought this Llangollen Railcar Event might provide some help to detail the brake area once I get around to it.

The photos I took can be seen here, hopefully they might be of use to others too Llangollen Railway Railcar Event 7 October 2023

D6356

Western Thunderer
Thanks, interior photos even of restored units are rare. You do have to wonder what the Wickham drawing office were "on" with the curvy bulkheads - perhaps the distrust level between drawing office and shop floor was turned up to 11 that week. Also a thankyou to all the folk who have set to and restored a humble "bogcart."

David Mylchreest

I'm really not sure which of the features in the shots of the brake vans are original and which are the results of additions or deletions during their time with BR or after sale to heritage lines. A need for further research there, but it is a good starting point.
I think the passenger saloons of the Wickham have been restored beautifully to their original condition but it is clear that the internals of the 108 and 127 units are pretty much as they were withdrawn, just a little more shabby. The need to remove asbestos is probably a factor in leaving these features well alone.
Does anybody know the names of the internal colours BR used in these vehicle during the green/corporate blue/NSE/sectorisation eras? It's pretty clear they don't appear in the Precision Paints lists. I'd be grateful to hear.