From Llangunllo to Llanbister Rd.

lancer1027

Western Thunderer
Neil said:
A torrid time for the civil engineer of late;  :shit:  it's those blasted hydraulics again.  ::)

Easy tiger ;) what you meant to say was you were having a few problems with your beautiful , powerful and extremely good looking hydraulics :thumbs: :thumbs: :)) :))

Rob :wave:

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
westernfan said:
I've just obtained a oo heljan hymek but i wasnt that impressed with its build quality although a very smooth runner ...
I remember when it was released, unfortunately at about the same time Hornby put out it's all-singing/dancing/doors-opening/shutters-moving/fan-spinning Class 50... One review (possibly Model rail) stated that the Heljan OO Hymek would've been revolutionary, had it come out in 1990 or so... ::)
putting the OO and O Hymeks together, you'd be forgiven for thinking they were from totally different manufacturers... :scratch: :headbang:

Neil

Western Thunderer
Jordan said:
I remember when it was released, unfortunately at about the same time Hornby put out it's all-singing/dancing/doors-opening/shutters-moving/fan-spinning Class 50... One review (possibly Model rail) stated that the Heljan OO Hymek would've been revolutionary, had it come out in 1990 or so... ::)
putting the OO and O Hymeks together, you'd be forgiven for thinking they were from totally different manufacturers... :scratch: :headbang:

I quite like the no singing, no dancing approach to models. I've yet to be convinced that the gimicks are anything other than that. I prefer moulded plastic grilles, solid buffers and no lights. Etched metal grilles, unless done supremely well tend to show as different materials, with a different level of 'sharpness'; I want a model that looks to be as homogenous as the real thing does. Opening doors also introduce a different surface that detracts from that wholeness I try to achieve. Lights tend to be too bright; until the advent of the high intensity lamps I was never aware of train lights during the daytime. Have tried sprung buffers too but I don't like the ping effect that they can bring to shunting. The few items of stock I equipped with springy things soon had a drop of superglue added to lock them solid.

Sorry I appear to have 'gone off on one'. I'll wipe the foam from the keyboard in a minute, do carry on chaps.

iploffy

OC Blue Brigade
Jordan said:

A bit more to add to that Jordan Me old fruit isn't it nice that the quality in O is in this case better than the quality in OO pity that could not have been said about certain Mk1 coaches(wrong shape though the OO version is correct) Windows in the wrong place etc. Sorry to have knicked the thread.

Ian

Geoff

Western Thunderer
Simon Dunkley said:
Nice one, but looking at that photo, the shunt ahead arm is rather difficult to see. Some sort of sight-aid might be requested by the loco crews: either a board behind it, or maybe a white patch on the bridge girders.

Just a suggestion, mind.
Evening Chaps,

I don't understand what you mean Simon ............I can see a white board from here ?

Attachments

• 4 12 10 121 Leaving Penhydd.jpg 1.jpg
    583.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 4 12 10 121 Leaving Penhydd.jpg
    4 12 10 121 Leaving Penhydd.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 41
  • 03 12 10 D7039 With Fruit Vans. and coachesjpg.jpg
    709.4 KB · Views: 14
S

Simon Dunkley

Geoff said:
Evening Chaps,
I don't understand what you mean Simon ............I can see a white board from here ?
Recent addition, eh?
Can't see it in the shot taken on the 3rd, and to be honest, on the shots you have here, I am not sure the sighting board is in the right place - seems too low.

Alan

Western Thunderer
I, too, have to agree with Neil about the Hymeck. And if I remember correctly Tim Shackelton when editing MRJ thought it was a splwendid model.

Geoff

Western Thunderer
Simon Dunkley said:
Recent addition, eh?
Can't see it in the shot taken on the 3rd, and to be honest, on the shots you have here, I am not sure the sighting board is in the right place - seems too low.

It is something I have been meaning to add for a while Simon but kept putting off, your post got me off my backside and spured me on to sort something out.
I was going to mount it on the signal post but it didn't look right somehow. It is in the right position and covers the arm from danger to being off, if anything it is perhaps too small. But then again when not viewed through the camera lens it looks OK.

Alan said:
I, too, have to agree with Neil about the Hymeck. And if I remember correctly Tim Shackelton when editing MRJ thought it was a splwendid model.

He certainly did Alan in MRJ 149 which is where I took my inspiration from to do D7039    http://thechroniclesofpenhydd.blogspot. ... ybach.html.

Cheers,
Geoff 

Geoff

Western Thunderer
CME & Bottlewasher said:
Hi Geoff,

I know the feeling, so many projects on the go :))

I agree about having a consistant standard for all of one's work - yet with the prospect of continous improvement too:scratch: :D

I have 'umd and aahd' about the various improvements that have come with the newer models and I like to idea of lights, yet on 1960's diesels the marker/tail lights never seemed to show in daylight hours so LED's are too bright most of the time, I also felt guilt about not adding such to my kit bashed/kit locos/models, yet I wanted to get something up and running soon and most of the LED's are of the wrong colour or an overscale brightness etc. etc.

I hope for better with UK sound :thumbs:

CME :wave:
[/i]

Evening Chaps,

When it comes to projects I usually have several on the go at once, at the moment I have a Pannier, Toad and a couple of 5-plank opens all in various stages of completion. Add to that the dairy mockup Mk 4 and you get some idea of the state of my workbench.

As for consistancy I have always followed the Iain Rice broadbrush approach which means everything blends together. Of course as my modelling standard improves some older models are weeded out so the balance is hopefully maintained

When it comes to lighting I don't bother as it rarely looks right to my eye, as CME says it is far better to get something up and running.
Top of my list is reliability, I want my locos to start first time and run without stalling. I also want stock that stays on the track and reliable couplings. Sometimes it is too easy to get prioritys wrong and get carried away with gimmicks but once the basics are in place then fair enough introduce them if it floats your boat

Sound is another matter, being a bit of a dinosaur I have edited tracks from this album which I play in the background whilst operating or just looking at the layout. Side one was recorded in the Forest of Dean and feature the sounds of a rural country branch. Panniers shunting, birdsong and the chatter of railway staff add to the layouts atmosphere.

Attachments

• Wired for Sound.jpg
    997.8 KB · Views: 11
  • Branch Goods leaving Penhydd behind a Collet goods 1.jpg
    Branch Goods leaving Penhydd behind a Collet goods 1.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 38
  • Branch Goods leaving Penhydd behind a Collet goods.jpg
    Branch Goods leaving Penhydd behind a Collet goods.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 35
  • Peace and quiet at Penhydd.jpg 1.jpg
    655.6 KB · Views: 9
  • Brew Time.jpg
    557.9 KB · Views: 11
  • 121 departing a.jpg
    121 departing a.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 35

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
Some lovely pics again Geoff. Maybe I haven't got my head around 4mil yet, but I seem to remember that Penhydd is only 7'6" long (scenic wise anyway) - it belies that size constraint very well indeed.

I kinda wish I hadn't read that post though, your method of operation sounds really, really appealing and is giving me some serious 'pause for thought' moments. Another evening to be spent in the land of distractions then...mutter, mutter.... ;D

Steve

28ten

Guv'nor
Steve Cook said:
I kinda wish I hadn't read that post though, your method of operation sounds really, really appealing and is giving me some serious 'pause for thought' moments. Another evening to be spent in the land of distractions then...mutter, mutter.... ;D

Steve
All my evenings are like that  :) I have a 4mm Heljan Hymek if you are interested  :)) :))

Geoff

Western Thunderer
Steve Cook said:
Some lovely pics again Geoff. Maybe I haven't got my head around 4mil yet, but I seem to remember that Penhydd is only 7'6" long (scenic wise anyway) - it belies that size constraint very well indeed.

Steve

Hi Steve
Here is an old aerial shot taken from the overbridge, The first board runs from the premises of Mr Dunkley and yourself to the barrow crossing. The second runs from there to just near the mineral wagon, you can see the joint thanks to the copperclad sleeper joint. The actual tip of the goods yard and bridge form part of the cassette deck.
I believe building a layout on a curve gives a greater feeling of space, it is also very stable.
Glad I have given you something to think about  ;D

Attachments

• Penhydd from the air.jpg
    Penhydd from the air.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 41

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
28ten said:
I have a 4mm Heljan Hymek if you are interested  :)) :))

Stop it you two  :)) Dare I ask what colour....

Just read through your post again Geoff, a question or two if I may.
Do you have one operating sequence which you then run through start to finish, or a couple of different options in the bag as it were?
What sort of time period does a sequence cover, day, week etc

I'm assuming that you potter (couldn't think of another nice gentle way to say it) about running the odd train here and there as takes your fancy without worrying if it takes two or three whole days to complete a sequence. I like that idea. A lot. Bugger.....

Steve

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
Bit out of sequence now, but thanks for posting up the overall layout shot Geoff  :thumbs:
The curve really does play out well.

You're pleased, I'm entering the world of confusion  ;D

Steve

Geoff

Western Thunderer
Steve Cook said:
Stop it you two  :)) Dare I ask what colour....

Just read through your post again Geoff, a question or two if I may.
Do you have one operating sequence which you then run through start to finish, or a couple of different options in the bag as it were?
What sort of time period does a sequence cover, day, week etc

I'm assuming that you potter (couldn't think of another nice gentle way to say it) about running the odd train here and there as takes your fancy without worrying if it takes two or three whole days to complete a sequence. I like that idea. A lot. Bugger.....

Steve

Hi Steve,

You can have the Hymek in any colour you fancy and I am sure you will get a good deal, say 30 minutes to slip Gibson EM wheels in and you are sorted  ;D

I run to a weekly sequence with a few wild cards thrown in such as "Run as Required" and weekend services.
Operating will, when sufficient stock has been built up revolve around three era's. 1950- 1955 /  1955 - 1963 and 1963- until closure.
In the first era stock is mainly ex GWR then we see the arrival of the odd diesel and ex LMSR types such as the Ivatt. For the last era it is Class 121, Hymek and a Teddy Bear is also on the cards

This give plenty of variety both in operation and stock which keeps things interesting on what is a very simple layout.

You assume correctly about my pottering about though Heather has a different word for it  ;D  Sometimes I run through the sequence in a day at other times a week. When my Grandson comes down it is anything goes and he runs his favourites.

Less really can mean more,

Geoff.

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
Geoff said:
Hi Steve,

You can have the Hymek in any colour you fancy and I am sure you will get a good deal, say 30 minutes to slip Gibson EM wheels in and you are sorted  ;D

So no harder than the Warship then. Well, one slightly wonky wheel aside (fixing scheduled for this weekend), I reckon if I got the Warship to work OK, the Hymek wouldn't be a problem either. ta  :D

I run to a weekly sequence with a few wild cards thrown in such as "Run as Required" and weekend services.
Operating will, when sufficient stock has been built up revolve around three era's. 1950- 1955 /  1955 - 1963 and 1963- until closure.
In the first era stock is mainly ex GWR then we see the arrival of the odd diesel and ex LMSR types such as the Ivatt. For the last era it is Class 121, Hymek and a Teddy Bear is also on the cards
This give plenty of variety both in operation and stock which keeps things interesting on what is a very simple layout.

Thats an interesting way of running things Geoff and allows a decent amount of stock accumulation which seems to be de-rigeur in this hobby  ;)
Its been an interesting insight night tonight.
You assume correctly about my pottering about though Heather has a different word fot it  ;D  Sometimes I run through the sequence in a day at other time a week. When my Grandson come down it is anything goes and he runs his favourites.
I'll not ask what Heather calls it, but I could have a good guess  ;D Good to hear your Grandson does to your timetable exactly what I did to my Grandads too  :))

Many Thanks
Steve

Alan

Western Thunderer
Love that style of operation. Like you the plan is for different eras in WR period. At the moment 56-60ish and 60- 65/66(ie before blue started to dominate).

I keep thinking that I must work out a proper sequence/timetable. As the layout is based on an extension of the Torbay line and I do have the Operation Torbay line it should not be too difficult, It's just a matter of getting my head round it. That and getting my head round a load of new interpretation panels for the Museum I volunteer at. (Yes Geoff it's that time of year again at the Museum of the Broads).

Geoff

Western Thunderer
Penhydd 2011

Having taken a sabbatical from forums since last year I thought it might be time for an update. You may recall that I was planning a creamery for Penhydd and after many failed attempts to design a building which would fit in the space at my disposal I came up with this as shewn below.

[attachimg=1]

Today the building looks like this but as you can see plenty of work remains to be done.

[attachimg=2]

[attachimg=3]

Once the main building is complete it will be placed on the new baseboard extension which is very much WIP, track laid in and the office buildings made. All that will remain to be done will be the scenics, which is something I am looking forward to.

Thanks to Tim (Capt. K ) for posting his photographs here showing detail of Pannier tank sanding gear linkages I was able to complete 4678.

[attachimg=4]

Apart from the above mentioned linkages a new smokebox dart and extra lamp irons have been fitted. As usual I made the number plates up from the Martin Finney kit.
Conversion to EM was carried out by using an Ultrascale drop in wheel set, the result is a really smooth reliable loco which has become a firm favourite.
Cheers,
Geoff

Attachments

• Penhydd Creamery rough mock up.jpg
    Penhydd Creamery rough mock up.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 174
  • Creamery Pt 3b.jpg
    Creamery Pt 3b.jpg
    224.2 KB · Views: 172
  • Creamery Pt 3a.jpg
    Creamery Pt 3a.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 174