G1mra Renewal Time

isambardme

Western Thunderer
Here's an odd link or two for you, Keith:
The latest 1:32 Finescale Group Newsletter:
1:32F - Newsletter No.5

If you've not come across us before, scroll around the website.
You're welcome to join - no sub or admin.
Group covers 1:32 Scale AND/OR Finescale
G1MRA membership recommended but not compulsory
Only data we store is Name and Email

The next all-Gauge One event is in three weeks time:
Gauge 1 North at Bakewell, Saturday 14 July 2018
Goodies will be Available :)

Many of this Forum will be there in one capacity or another - may see you there :)

Aster/Accucraft news

Thinking generally about Gauge One 1/32nd scale, folks might like to know that an e mail just received from Accucraft/Aster today announces more collaboration info & various new products.
The one uk modellers might like the most is probably a re run of Aster's BR Standard locos in both kit & rtr formats. The rtr will include a lined black namer 'Camelot' & a lined green loco. Originally these had only a short production run. The new ones will have a SR high sided tender. (New RTR rrp is £4200 I believe.) No doubt their website will have full details. Something for some lucky Thunderer's Xmas list perhaps?

Last edited:

David Halfpenny

Western Thunderer
Aster/Accucraft news
an e mail just received from Accucraft/Aster today announces more merger info & various new products.

Nit-Pick of the day, which doesn't affect Isambard's conclusions: Collaborations and Associations, but no Merger.

The distinct companies are:
- Accucraft, namely Bing Cheng in Union City
- Accucraft UK under Graham Langer in England
incorporating the Gauge One Model Railway Co, whose founder retired​
- other Accucraft dealers around the world
- Aster Hobbies in Japan
- Aster Hobbies UK under Andrew Pullen
- other Aster dealers around the world
- various factories in China who make engines under the separate Accucraft and Aster brands.

[Bowande is a separate (only slightly overlapping) conversation.]

I think a lot of customers are going to be very happy with today's announcements.
Accucraft August News | Accucraft UK Ltd

For the Aster kits, there are some relevant build sequences in old G1MRA mags (join up and get access to pdfs of the lot) and on my Gauge One Railways forum:
g1rf

David 1/2d

isambardme

Western Thunderer
Nit-Pick of the day, which doesn't affect Isambard's conclusions: Collaborations and Associations, but no Merger.

The distinct companies are:
- Accucraft, namely Bing Cheng in Union City
- Accucraft UK under Graham Langer in England
incorporating the Gauge One Model Railway Co, whose founder retired​
- other Accucraft dealers around the world
- Aster Hobbies in Japan
- Aster Hobbies UK under Andrew Pullen
- other Aster dealers around the world
- various factories in China who make engines under the separate Accucraft and Aster brands.

[Bowande is a separate (only slightly overlapping) conversation.]

I think a lot of customers are going to be very happy with today's announcements.
Accucraft August News | Accucraft UK Ltd

For the Aster kits, there are some relevant build sequences in old G1MRA mags (join up and get access to pdfs of the lot) and on my Gauge One Railways forum:
g1rf

David 1/2d

Hi David,
Thanks for clarification on the business arrangements between the two companies.
Cheers,
Steve

isambardme

Western Thunderer
Hmmm. Already sold the classic car to build the railway in the garden.

What can I sell to raise some funds? I know......:D Actually, no probably not. I don't want to do my own ironing :oops:

Hi all, If you are wondering what to do on these wet autumn days, apart for ironing for some, then I can recommend a laser cut kit.
I notice from Ash Models website, that Ken West has now retired, but his son is continuing the business. Ash models do sell a range of Ken's kits, including a new LNER/BR Brake van , at £32.50 inc metal chassis. Anyway a few days ago I ordered one of Ken's LNWR/LMS Tranship van bodyline kits at only £15 from Ash Models website. It arrived this morning and I have just spent an hour and a half dry assembling, then gluing it together with Gorilla wood glue and a trusty re used ice cream spatula! It's a good , strong, well designed kit. It has Ken's usual roof supports but was, I think designed before Ken made new flexible wooden rooves for his models. You could use card as originally intended, or contact Ken or Ash Models for one of Ken's later rooves. I have a spare one obtained from Ken a while ago.
The Gorilla glue dries quickly, after picking dried glue off my fingers (used for smoothing any excess glue away from the kit), I gave the body kit it's first coat of primer. Tenmille axleguards , wheels & other u/frame parts have been ordered, I look forward to running the completed van in due course in front of a rake of suitable coaches on Richard's garden line. (See Garden Pipedream thread on W Thunder.)
Steve

Last edited:

isambardme

Western Thunderer
Hi all, If you are wondering what to do on these wet autumn days, apart for ironing for some, then I can recommend a laser cut kit.
I notice from Ash Models website, that Ken West has now retired, but his son is continuing the business. Ash models do sell a range of Ken's kits, including a new LNER/BR Brake van , good value too. Anyway a few days ago I ordered one of Ken's LNWR/LMS Tranship van bodyline kits at only £15 from Ash Models website. It arrived this morning and I have just spent an hour and a half dry assembling, then gluing it together with Gorilla wood glue and a trusty re used ice cream spatula! It's a good , strong, well designed kit. It has Ken's usual roof supports but was, I think designed before Ken made new flexible wooden rooves for his models. You could use card as originally intended, or contact Ken or Ash Models for one of Ken's later rooves. I have a spare one obtained from Ken a while ago.
The Gorilla glue dries quickly, after picking dried glue off my fingers (used for smoothing any excess glue away from the kit), I gave the body kit it's first coat of primer. Tenmille axleguards , wheels & other u/frame parts have been ordered, I look forward to running the completed van in due course in front of a rake of suitable coaches on Richard's garden line. (See Garden Pipedream thread on W Thunder.)
Steve

Looking back over the last couple of years since the previous posts, I would say that Gauge 1 and G1MRA has further improved. There are now a wider range of more accurate loco sound effects available from the likes of Fosworks for those who like radio controlled, battery powered locos, which offer of course something to run instantly while gas or meths powered locos are steaming up. The latest gas powered locos available this year like Accucraft's Adams Radial and Bowande's M7 run well and are easy to operate.
Meanwhile I am getting a bit more experience in running meths powered locos. My pre owned 30 year old Tom Barratt SR Q class meths loco is great fun to operate, it just needs a stop to pump in the boiler water every six or seven minutes without having to balance and re adjust the by pass valve, which more modern meths and gas powered tender locos need.
Also the increased availability of a range of kits inc smaller servos, smaller battery packs etc to convert gas & meths powered locos to radio control from companies like Fosworks ( no business connection!) is clearly becoming more popular (not least with me) as many folks do not fancy running round trying to reach and control a loco manually as we get older !
So, a good time to be in Gauge 1 !

Steve

Steve

Sarah Winfield

I notice from Ash Models website, that Ken West has now retired, but his son is continuing the business. Ash models do sell a range of Ken's kits, including a new LNER/BR Brake van , good value too. Anyway a few days ago I ordered one of Ken's LNWR/LMS Tranship van bodyline kits at only £15 from Ash Models website. It arrived this morning and I have just spent an hour and a half dry assembling, then gluing it together with Gorilla wood glue and a trusty re used ice cream spatula! It's a good , strong, well designed kit. It has Ken's usual roof supports but was, I think designed before Ken made new flexible wooden rooves for his models. You could use card as originally intended, or contact Ken or Ash Models for one of Ken's later rooves. I have a spare one obtained from Ken a while ago.
Steve

I have made up a couple of Ken West, 5 plank open wagons kits. 9/10 If I can assemble them anyone can.
What is the total cost after you have bought the kit, the wheels, brake gear etc. etc?
I realise that may not be relevant because I have really enjoyed (especially after struggling with 2 Slaters van kits) making the kits up. And they do answer email queries and are very patient.

isambardme

Western Thunderer
I have made up a couple of Ken West, 5 plank open wagons kits. 9/10 If I can assemble them anyone can.
What is the total cost after you have bought the kit, the wheels, brake gear etc. etc?
I realise that may not be relevant because I have really enjoyed (especially after struggling with 2 Slaters van kits) making the kits up. And they do answer email queries and are very patient.

isambardme

Western Thunderer
Ken's kits were around £15 to £25 a while ago. Add wheels, axleguard sets, buffers, couplings etc from a range of suppliers. Tot cost £40 to £55 approx, depending on what spares you have lying around. By the way I have had a sprung axleguard set fail, not made by Ken, bought a few years ago. Wheel sets, solid fixed axleguard sets with bearings included, from suppliers like Tenmille run well & last. You need robust items for hard work running outside!
As you say Ken's kits go together easily, unlike Slaters kits which are very detailed, but can be rather fiddly to assemble and rather delicate for a tough life of running outside. Glad you enjoyed Ken's kits, me too! (Rivet counters may find other scales more suited to their proclivities!)

Steve

Last edited:

Dave Bowden

Western Thunderer
I'm currently building two P14's that are from Ken's catalogue and as isambardme (Steve) says they need to be robust to run outdoors hopefully for a long time.
This is why I used Ken Martin's chassis parts and then run the axles on roller bearings. Because they are all lost wax castings I treat them with BC (birchwood casey) which looks a lot better than trying to paint them. I shall shortly be adding photos to the build on my P14 topic so keep watching.

Dave

isambardme

Western Thunderer
I'm currently building two P14's that are from Ken's catalogue and as isambardme (Steve) says they need to be robust to run outdoors hopefully for a long time.
This is why I used Ken Martin's chassis parts and then run the axles on roller bearings. Because they are all lost wax castings I treat them with BC (birchwood casey) which looks a lot better than trying to paint them. I shall shortly be adding photos to the build on my P14 topic so keep watching.

Dave

Thinking about Ken West's kits, you might like to see photos of the GWR Syphon C I built a couple of years ago, as well as the LNWR/LMS Tranship van, as purchased and as completed.045.JPG LNWR LMS Tranship van finished.jpg 017.JPG
The Syphon C could have more detailing added, but as Peter Spoerer said a while ago, the more you add, the more there is to fall off. It looks good running around a garden line.
Meanwhile I couldn't resist a photo of my garden line, earlier in the year (yes, I know someone needs to stop taking photos & mow the grass! )GWR Syphon van finished.jpg
Steve

Dave Bowden

Western Thunderer
Nice Model of the Siphon C Steve, it would have been a 10mm kit from two years ago

Ash Models currently sell the former Ken West kits, now his son John I believe. Ken produced the Siphon C in 1:32 scale with a plastic details sprue of end detail before he stopped making and selling his kits.

I've contacted Ash Models and asked for an up to date list of what's available. I also asked about purchasing 6 sets of the Siphon C plastic detail sets this was a few weeks ago now and I'm still waiting for a reply!

Dave

isambardme

Western Thunderer
Nice Model of the Siphon C Steve, it would have been a 10mm kit from two years ago

Ash Models currently sell the former Ken West kits, now his son John I believe. Ken produced the Siphon C in 1:32 scale with a plastic details sprue of end detail before he stopped making and selling his kits.

I've contacted Ash Models and asked for an up to date list of what's available. I also asked about purchasing 6 sets of the Siphon C plastic detail sets this was a few weeks ago now and I'm still waiting for a reply!

Dave

Hi Dave,
Thanks very much for your comments. I've just checked back on my W Thunder postings on this thread in Jan 2018 and the Siphon C was specially cut for me as a 1/32nd kit by Ken, with the then new addition to his kits, the multi cut flexible roof.
By the way, photos can be so cruel in the detail they reveal! I 've just painted the Syphon C wheel sides black, they now look much more realistic.
I think my LNWR/LMS tranship van was probably unsold existing stock that Ash Models had to hand. Your plastic detail sets are likely to be a new order, with consequent delay. I would have thought that a simple list of products should not take so long though.
Steve

Last edited:

Dave Bowden

Western Thunderer
Hi Steve
I’ve just treated the wheels of the first Python P14 with BC (birch wood Casey) and for the first time the white metal inserts as well. After drying them off I then give them a light coat of sewing machine oil.

I also treat the W irons vac / steam pipes the same way. I’ll post a photo for you to see the benefits of this process.

Dave

Mike W

Western Thunderer
As an LNWR wagon enthusiast I am struggling to find what an LNWR 24ft tranship van is. Is there any clue in the instructions as to whether maybe it was built by the LMS?

The GWR van looks nice.

Mike

isambardme

Western Thunderer
As an LNWR wagon enthusiast I am struggling to find what an LNWR 24ft tranship van is. Is there any clue in the instructions as to whether maybe it was built by the LMS?

The GWR van looks nice.

Mike

Sorry Mike,
There's no clue in the instructions. Perhaps they were indeed built by the LMS. Anyway, it looks good behind my Midland Compound, in front of other coaches. Glad you like the Syphon C. Again, that looks the part at the head of other coaches behind my Bulldog.

Steve

Dave Bowden

Western Thunderer
Hi isambardme (Steve)

Here's a couple of photos of the P14 wheels after been treated with BC. I should have previously mentioned I also treat the L/W axle boxes and for the first time the w/m Buffer bodies. Photos of all of these tomorrow.

P14 Wheels_1.jpg
P14 Wheels_2.jpg

Dave Bowden

Western Thunderer
Thank you Steve for saying so, I've now continued with new photos in my Python P14 thread in this 1:32 section, I've also added the wheel photos again for those WT's who may not be watching this thread.
Dave