G3 3 plank dropside wagon

jamiepage

Western Thunderer
Single iron brake blocks after 1880? I don't know, and am absolutely no MR expert, but would doubt it. Not on MR built wagons, anyway.

Jon,
pm sent.
Jamie

jamiepage

Western Thunderer
Jon,
Sorry if I have misled you. The references I have all suggest post 1880 two iron blocks on one side for these wagons- and no doubt embellished over the years with various forms of either side arrangements.
The same references confirm some use of wooden blocks before that; and Essery's drawing, at least, shows they too acted on both axles, one side.

Not to say there weren't any fitted with a single brake block, but I haven't found any reference.

Andy?!

Yours
Jamie

AndyB

Western Thunderer
I'm supposed to be trying to get the etch artwork done, not looking up yet more drawing questions! :rolleyes:
But you lot know I can't resist....
It seems strange that Essery's Figure 31 (in Midland Wagons vol 1) is very true to MR drawing number 10 yet he makes no mention of that number in the text (or not that I've found).
Dating from January 1874, it shows two wooden brake blocks acting on both axles on one side of the wagon. I don't believe the MR ever built wagons with a single wooden brake block, but they did inherit some from their acquired constituents, as shown in plates 32 & 33.
There are a few, very subtle, differences in the ironwork between the first and subsequent drawings for these wagons, but if 1874 is early enough for you, Jon, then this casting set will do you fine.

Andy

AndyB

Western Thunderer
Two troubles I have doing etch artwork:
1) I hate leaving empty space
2) When researching parts on original drawings and on photos, I keep find more small details that just demand to be modelled.

And so it was when doing the bits mentioned above for Mike (now delivered, I'm pleased to say).
Some D305 wagons were fitted with twin 'Monarch' door controllers - similar to the single one in this picture.
So here is the etch:

Monarch Controllers.JPG

I didn't know if would actually be buildable, but here is the first one (temporarily shown on a Bachmann wagon conversion for illustration, with temporary pivots).
Door Controller.JPG

Only 3 more to put together now!

Andy

Mike W

Western Thunderer
Superb Andy. Perfect! And thanks for the etches for the wagon. Axlebox "MR" overlays, numberplates and catches for the drop-sides all fit perfectly.

jamiepage

Western Thunderer
That's excellent Andy- and thanks for your efforts.
A big lump of Foss Cross limestone awaits crushing for a six wagon rake to represent a MSWJR stone/ ballast train.

AndyB

Western Thunderer
A massive coil spring hidden up underneath somewhere I reckon.
Top marks to Mike!
This is taken from the drawing of the single one. It doesn't say what the spring force is, but it is made from 1/2" x 1 1/4" section.
The twin ones were slightly different in dimensions and shape of the connecting bars.
Monarch drg section.jpg
Mods - sorry about the file size. I don't know how to reduce these drawing scans any further without making them illegible.

Andy

AndyB

Western Thunderer
Looks similar Geoff - but on the GE wagon, having a steel solebar, they've put the spring behind the solebar instead of needing the extra plate. And the link arm is consequently shorter.
Andy