G3 Westinghouse brake pipes (loco)

geoff_nicholls

Western Thunderer
I've just sent off the artwork for a GER Westinghouse brake pipe, to be 3D printed, in gauge 3. If the result looks okay, I'm going to try and have a batch cast in brass.
My artwork is based on John Gardner's drawings published by the GERS. I don't know if it would also be applicable to other railways.
Is there anyone out there who would be interested in buying a few? More importantly, is there anyone knowledgeable in such things, prepared to vet my patterns for accuracy, if I send you one, before committing to brass?

jamiepage

Western Thunderer
Geoff, I can't help with verifying accuracy but I would like to purchase enough for three vehicles if you decide to go ahead.
Yours
Jamie

unklian

Western Thunderer
I would be interested in a few sets of pipes. Could you post some pictures when you get the prints back please .

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Hello Geoff.

A while back I had contact with Mike Bootman, an official of the Great Eastern Society.

If you wish I'll have a word with him to find out if he'll have a look at your patterns - assuming he has the expertise, of course, as my contact was to get some info on some of my collected photos.

Brian

geoff_nicholls

Western Thunderer
I'm a bit of a whizz at the CAD, but hopeless with the presentation aspects, getting it to produce the elevations plans etc. So the attached is a screenshot.
the printer, Chris Ward is hoping to get them to me on Friday. If so I'll be bringing them to Warley on Saturday, I suggest meeting up at Mike Williams stand, if you want to see them in the flesh. Chris Ward did warn me that some bits might not survive the cleaning process, so this may only be the first attempt.
Brian,
thank you for suggesting Mike Bootman, but I believe he models in 7mm, I was thinking of someone who models in G3, because I think the size difference might affect perceptions of what looks right. But I'll bear him in mind (I am a GERS member)

Overseer

Western Thunderer
Not sure if this helps -
Westinghouse 1935 hose.jpg
It is a page from a 1935 Westinghouse catalogue, the coupling and hose would be the same. By 1935 low level brake pipes were generally standard so the catalogue has only the angle cocks not the straight in line cock used for some of the raised standards as you have drawn. I have some real Westinghouse brake hoses if you want detail photos of the coupling. Pre 1910 the hoses usually had a canvas cover as vulcanising of rubber had not been fully developed, this changed the appearance and colour of the hoses. Not sure when the GER would have changed hose types.

demu1037

Western Thunderer
Geoff
2 pics of No 87 @ York - note the 'stowed ' shape is not quite as your CAD rendering and the canvas covering is partially missing

256177_03_022.jpg

IMG_4634 (2).JPG

geoff_nicholls

Western Thunderer
thanks for the photos, DEMU. It looks as though the bracket on 87 has stretched a bit, I'll stick with my drawing on that. However, the photos have highlighted a glaring error on my part, I've put the handle on the wrong side. i'll check a few old GER photos just to make sure though.
Fortunately I keep earlier versions of my artwork so it's relatively easy to turn that bit round without having to start all over again. But I'll have to explain that every time I show people the 'rapid' prototype.
When I first started building the E22/J65 to which these pipes will be attached, I visited the NRM to check out 87, only to find it's been lent to Bressingham. So if there are any more photos of details of no 87, I'd like to see them, please.

PS
is that DEMU, as in No Kettles? I'm a member of that as well.

geoff_nicholls

Western Thunderer
Excellent! And timely, as the Westinghouse pump is the next thing I need to draw. Unless anyone knows where I can buy a 6/6 1/2" pump in G3?

demu1037

Western Thunderer
geoff_nicholls said:
.. If so I'll be bringing them to Warley on Saturday, I suggest meeting up at Mike Williams stand, if you want to see them in the flesh. (I am a GERS member)

Hi Geoff,

I'll try & get by for a look - I assume you mean the G3 MW not the 7mm one!

Andy (GERS1511)

Edit to tidy up quote. Steve.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stevesopwith

Western Thunderer
Geoff,

This is from E4 No 490, also at Bressingham.

GER No 490 Vac Pipe A.jpg

I also have about 30 'intimate' views of underframe details etc of No 87 ......... PM me if you would like them.

Cheers....... Steve.

geoff_nicholls

Western Thunderer
thanks Steve. That photo confirms that I've put the handle on the wrong side, so the first test print won't be correct, but sufficient for people to get the idea. Good job I thought to check with my peers before committing to brass.

geoff_nicholls

Western Thunderer
the printed brake pipes arrived an hour ago, and have been given a quick coat of paint(they where printed in clear plastic) then posed on the loco buffer beam. I'm quite pleased with them. Chris Ward has done me proud as usual with the printing, the handle has come out very well.
I'll need to redraw the handle on the other side, and possibly a smidgen further out, as it looks as though it would trap fingers that close. I may add more detail to the hemispherical coupling.
I will have them with me at Warley and drop one off at the Williams Models stand for people to have a look at, while buying stuff.

Attachments

• w1 005.JPG
    w1 005.JPG
    131.7 KB · Views: 11

adrian

Flying Squad
I think the 7mm MW is moving out of 7mm and into G3 just to confuse matters.
but not in the same league by a long stretch so it won't be that confusing.

Steve, thanks for the photos, especially that of the springs. I've no idea what the hockey stick bits are in the cab, though.
Not sure what the official name is but I think they'll be the levers to work the damper doors at the front and rear of the firebox, these are vents to control the airflow into the fire.