Gauge 1 North

lankytank

Western Thunderer
Collective,

For those not in the know, this weekend, Saturday 14th to be exact, sees the return of Gauge 1 North at the Bakewell Agricultural Centre in Bakewell, Derbyshire.

Details here gauge1north.org.uk/Gauge-1-North-2018.php

I'll be there with the stand, along with a truck load of other traders as well...…… :rolleyes::rolleyes: :thumbs:

For a measly £5.00 (accompanied under 16's get in free) you get a day of Gauge 1 entertainment in quite a very pleasant location & if you or your partner gets bored (??) you can always wander into the village & sample the local pudding (don't ask for a tart - not the done thing :eek::eek: :)) )

Oh, nearly forgot, the adjoining café does pretty damned good food as well (proper farmers scran).

See you Saturday

Barry (with his Metalsmith hat on).

Last edited:

isambardme

Western Thunderer
Collective,

For those not in the know, this weekend, Saturday 14th to be exact, sees the return of Gauge 1 North at the Bakewell Agricultural Centre in Bakewell, Derbyshire.

Details here gauge1north.org.uk/Gauge-1-North-2018.php

I'll be there with the stand, along with a truck load of other traders as well...…… :rolleyes::rolleyes: :thumbs:

For a measly £5.00 (accompanied under 16's get in free) you get a day of Gauge 1 entertainment in quite a very pleasant location & if you or your partner gets bored (??) you can always wander into the village & sample the local pudding (don't ask for a tart - not the done thing :eek::eek: :)) )

Oh, nearly forgot, the adjoining café does pretty damned good food as well (proper farmers scran).

See you Saturday

Barry (with his Metalsmith hat on).

Hi all,

I really enjoyed the Bakewell Show. Plenty of exhibitors to talk to, lots of live steam from a super freight train going at slow speed to an LNER Mallard that seemed keen to exceed it's original speed record ! Even some newly arrived BR Mk 1 coaches for sale on various stands. Saw David Halfpenny having a chat to a trader & met Richard Lambert too. I must note that my mate David Hawker's wife walked into Bakewell & saw plenty of Bakewell Tarts advertised, but no Bakewell Puddings! I did not get the chance to check this important matter out as I had no opportunity, the show took up all of my time. Bakewell & it's surroundings is also a place my wife & I must come back to, great scenery & walks nearby.

Steve

David Halfpenny

Western Thunderer
Steve, I am profoundly shocked by your news!
I ask you, Mrs. Hawker, what on earth is the point of carrying on gang warfare for two centuries if nobody can be bothered to raise their eyes to the signs above the three rival shops:
BBPS.jpg BPS.jpg OOBPS.jpg

For next year, do NOT attempt to eat one the size in the photo above, without being in easy reach of medical assistance.

For those of more delicate disposition, Bakewell Pudding Flavour Ice Cream was also touted for sale, and I must say it poses less risk of immediate cardiac arrest and, to some folk, tastes better as well.

David Halfpenny

Western Thunderer
Seriously, though, Steve, glad you enjoyed it. There was a good feel to the proceedings, despite the hight ambient heat.

Spotted LankTank peddling his high-precision metal - we are nothing without our Suppliers - and several other contributors to this page.

I'd been hoping to pick up an r/c kit for my Victory, but it's not in manufacture yet. People told me their Victorys are very biddable, which not all piston-valved models without drain-cocks are. Possibly because a fair proportion of flue gases bathe the valve block rather than escape up t'chimbley.

My rolling stock purchases this year were a nice couple of 100 year old Vintage coal wagons to go with my three-rail and clockwork engines. Please don't tell on me.

isambardme

Western Thunderer
Seriously, though, Steve, glad you enjoyed it. There was a good feel to the proceedings, despite the hight ambient heat.

Spotted LankTank peddling his high-precision metal - we are nothing without our Suppliers - and several other contributors to this page.

I'd been hoping to pick up an r/c kit for my Victory, but it's not in manufacture yet. People told me their Victorys are very biddable, which not all piston-valved models without drain-cocks are. Possibly because a fair proportion of flue gases bathe the valve block rather than escape up t'chimbley.

My rolling stock purchases this year were a nice couple of 100 year old Vintage coal wagons to go with my three-rail and clockwork engines. Please don't tell on me.

Well David,

Phew, thanks for the reassuring photos that clearly demonstrate Bakewell puddings are indeed alive & well in Bakewell! Those giant puds would certainly be a challenge to consume, but it's good to share! My wife has just enjoyed seeing those shop photos & remembers the Old Original & Pudding Factory shops from many years ago! Some good things don't change.

Glad you too enjoyed the show despite the temperatures. Thinking about your Victory, there is a view that some live steam locos (eg Aster) can just be run r/c with just a servo on the regulator & the blower cracked slightly open. I guess it all depends whether you want to shunt with the Victory or just run 'roundy roundy' as many G1 owners do. I am in the fiddly process of attempting to install r/c into a G1mCo Brit. Problem is, unlike most 16mm locos, they were not designed to take r/c & there is so much less space than in a 16mm cab! Whether you decide to get d-i-y bits from a trader like Fosworks or wait until a full kit is released is of course up to you. All I know is that I have enjoyed putting r/c into 16mm locos. That is not the case so far with the Brit! Grrr! Patience is a virtue!

All the best,

Steve

David Halfpenny

Western Thunderer
Thinking about your Victory, there is a view that some live steam locos (eg Aster) can just be run r/c with just a servo on the regulator & the blower cracked slightly open.

Yes indeed - albeit One Direction. It can also be done with single cylinder slip-eccentric engines such as the Project design. In theory, these are not self-starting, but in practice they only occasionally stop at Dead Centre. Which means that a train stopped at a station can mostly re-start under r/c. And for those occasions when it doesn't, one spots the driver at the back of the train, giving a gentle shove, rather than at the front, fiddling with hot little valve handles.

Some folk simplify the installation by linking the Blower to the Regulator, so that you don't need two separate controls to keep the fire alight when the blast pipe isn't chuffing, while avoiding having an always-open blower. Depends on the engine of course.

Actually, I quite like having the blower open a crack as it squirts you when the boiler is full :) Which reminds me that other folk have automatic boiler level control, which is better done "Bang-Bang" than Proportional.

I guess it all depends whether you want to shunt with the Victory

Yes, I do indeed. More specifically, live steam on End-to-End layouts is a Game Changer, given the bulk and ridiculousness of a 'roundy roundy' track in today's micro-gardens.

In harmony with Accucraft Policy, the gas is designed to run out before the water when going 'roundy roundy'. This isn't an absolute necessity, given that the boiler is simple and robust, and that there's a water top-up valve under the dome, but it saves beggaring the paint. It also avoids a panicking driver adding water to a hot dry boiler, which is Not Good. People tell me they get a nice 20 minutes on one fill, but it's hard to refill the hot engine.
Now if one is fiddling around with an engine, shunting or end-to-end, a large proportion of the 20 minutes gas-time can go to waste. Not only that, but a large proportion of the boiler water goes up the Safety Valve, because steam supply necessarily exceeds demand when the train is going nowhere.
The Plan is to apply control (automatic or remote) to the gas tap as well, in order to reduce gas consumption whenever steam consumption is low. This should conserve water as well as gas.
There are several ways to do this, and Victory will be one of the test-beds.

Other ways to prolong running include a removable or adjustable exhaust throttle, and Jay Kovak's sensitive valve spindles (regulator and gas). Neither of which require modding the stock engine.​

I am in the fiddly process of attempting to install r/c into a G1mCo Brit. Problem is, unlike most 16mm locos, they were not designed to take r/c & there is so much less space than in a 16mm cab!

Well the simple answer to space problems is Gauge 3 . . .

Whether you decide to get d-i-y bits from a trader like Fosworks or wait until a full kit is released is of course up to you.

It's as long as it's tall, Steve, cos it's Fosworks that would be offering the 'full kit'. After all, the tricky bits are all the brackets and baffles. Before you ask, Mr Fos has got the Design sorted out but not enough orders to go into production yet.

When Peter Spoerer lifted the cab roof on his own r/c Victory to show me the r/c, my eyes popped because I couldn't see it! It's all in the side-tanks and under the footplate, and the only visible signs in the rather full cab are two link ends! Externally, the visible signs are the switch and charger socket below the rear headstock.
It's all very neet, in the meticulous Spoerer manner, but it did take him a lot of time to get right. Which is why I favour waiting for the kit as opposed to starting from scratch.
On the other hand, Graham Langer tells me he found the installation much more straightforward.
Since both men report their r/c Victorys are delightful to drive, I have high hopes.​

Last edited:

isambardme

Western Thunderer

I did wonder whether you were thinking of a Spoerer/Fosworks kit for the Victory. Peter is very ingenious in designing his r/c kits, I quite understand why you are prepared to wait.:)

By the way, do you have contact details please for Jay Kovak's sensitive valve spindles? I remember hearing about them a while back.
Cheers,

Steve​

Last edited:

isambardme

Western Thunderer
Thanks very much David. I have e mailed Jay about an Accucraft replacement gas valve control spindle & also asked if he does a replacement Aster regulator control spindle. No reply yet.
Meanwhile I have just noticed that Simon Whenmouth at Anything Narrow Gauge does a very similar range of replacement control spindles to Jay. Could they be from the same source? Cheers, Steve