Gauge 3 Society AGM and the future.

Jon Nazareth

Western Thunderer
If anyone wants to see undulations in the sides of carriages, then wait until I post the photos of my LSWR ones. I didn’t plan the undulations, they just happened. :D

Jon

Mike W

Western Thunderer
There is another aspect to "realism". Yesterday I was at a local garden meeting and took a short goods train with me. My models are not run much and are not oiled, so as the tran passes you get all sorts of thumps, squeaks and clanks which can be really good. At another garden line which alas is no longer there, my favourite spot was just after a girder bridge a few inches from the track and a little way out from the station (think of Oxenhope, looing down towards the station). I would watch as a coal fired loco was tended to with its train and then set off perhaps after a short "toot". As it slowly gathered pace you could hear it coming, and the change of sound as it entered the girder bridge, the crescendo and the glow from the fire as it passed and the heat (or was that imagination?). You can "feel" it - and then the quickening but softening clickety clack as it passed and disappeared around a curve and down the garden, with just a slight smell of steam and oil remaining.

Not the same "realism" as the smaller scale, just a different aspect to modelling. Obviously I'm biased and am bringing out some advantages of Gauge 3. There are disadvantaes too, but aren't there to all scales?

Yes, some of the wagons are a bity shiny - they are my display stand models.

MikeTed 2024 e.JPG

midnightmiller

Had a good day there and probably burned close to a grand in the end but came away with a tidy few secondhand additions and kit n' bits to keep me busy for a while! Believe I've been to the last four now and this one seemed to the be the best attended.
My camera snaps aren't the best but here's a few showing some of the cracking models on display.
Thanks for the pic's , yes well pissed off I missed the day out . Leg and back not as bad but still giving hell .

michael mott

Western Thunderer
Tim I'm not sure I agree with you on this at my stage of life My eyes are not as keen as they were 40-50 years ago That said I still try to get as much detail in as possible even so a 00x90 bolt head is still bigger than a buffer head in 2mm scale. I do enjoy the fact that you work at the extremes of 2mm and 3 1/2 inch gauge.

Cheers Michael