Giles' misc. Work bench.

Giles

Western Thunderer
I've been doing some small bits and pieces recently - not directly layout related, but this one I thought I would try to see how possible it was. It's not complete, but its mostly there.....

It's a Duncan's Models Aveling Porter Road Loco (1:43) which I wanted to see if it would be possible to motorised and radio control .

AndyB

Western Thunderer
Seconded - Very impressive!
Is it possible to slow the steering down, though?
As anyone who has ever steered a road engine will know, the steering isn't that responsive - typically at least 10 turns of the wheel lock to lock, more on a roller. Not sure I've got any specific data on Avelings, but I can see what I can find if its of interest.
Andy

Giles

Western Thunderer
The steering will operate as slowly as you want - its simply working on a servo-tester in that video. I've not hooked up the radio gear yet, as I want to finish soldering on the detail first.

The flywheel and final drive gear are now fixed. The Engine is configured as single-wheel drive (pin pulled out) as with both wheels driven there is a reluctance to go round corners!

JimG

Western Thunderer
The flywheel and final drive gear are now fixed. The Engine is configured as single-wheel drive (pin pulled out) as with both wheels driven there is a reluctance to go round corners!

Wot!! No differential. :):):):)

Very nice.

Jim.

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
I must agree, I had an H1 triple 500 for a while, and looking back I'm surprised I'm still on this planet !

A mate who owned ( suffered) one told me that the steering head geometry was all wrong but I reckon the whole frame geometry was at fault.
I could leave him standing through the twisty bits on my Triton :D

Apologies to Giles for the hi-jack mate.:rolleyes:...how about a driver on the traction engine with a twisty arm for the steering !

Col.

3 LINK

Western Thunderer
It was an horrendous bike, it would sometimes for no apparent reason try and throw you upright halfway round a bend. I traded it in for another 2 stroke triple, a Suzuki GT750, I must of been a sucker for punishment....

End of hi jack....

Martyn.

simond

Western Thunderer
Suzi hot water bottle? I always fancied one of them, never actually rode one.
(a number of contemporary actresses fell into this category too, but least said..)

The Kwacker 2s triples has a hellish reputation for a digital powerband. Off, on, omg...

A couple of years later, my Master’s thesis was to do with fuel injection on 2s motors, and I began to understand why they were such fun.

Happy days
Simon

Giles

Western Thunderer
I came to biking late, and bought a Kawasaki W650, which I had for many years. Good round London. I've now got a 1300 Midnight Star, which is a little more comfortable!

Progress so far, but I hope the canopy electrics will be finished and hooked up by the end of the day, together with the receiver. (So under full radio). The on/off switch is a reed switch operated by a lamp to be hung under the canopy.

Giles

Western Thunderer
Aside from a little weathering, the traction engine is finished and working! (And it does....). Not perhaps the finest control, but to an extent that comes with the territory.

It was an exercise to see if it was reasonably viable, and it is - although frankly a lathe is necessary for a couple of bits, and one needs gears - either making them one's self, or sourcing them.

I've got a 400mAh battery under the canopy, which will last a day, but one would be struggling to get anything bigger without it being visible.

1:43 radio controlled Traction Engine. 7mm scale
by giles favell, on Flickr

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
...........I traded it in for another 2 stroke triple, a Suzuki GT750, I must of been a sucker for punishment....

End of hi jack....

Martyn.
Had a new one in '76, chassis was absolutely knackered within two years, but the motor was strong still. bought a 'Bonnie' after that !

Traction engine is superb Giles, now if you could fit dcc sound:cool:....sorry:D

Col.

Osgood

Western Thunderer
I wonder if a friction disc on the fore carriage pivot pin might help damp the erratic movement?
It would obviously need to be slightly less powerful than the servomotors on the steering chain drum.

Many full size engines use a cross-mounted chain between the two steering chains to act as a steering stop. But your servomotor probably acts as the stop.
8278-A.jpg

Last edited:

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
Tony,

S'funny, I was wondering the same. But my approach to 'damping' went in another direction - silicon grease on the pivot. It's available in all sorts of viscosity and works very well for light dynamic systems - hifi turntable tonearms for example...

Steph

Giles

Western Thunderer
I need to whatch that i don't over-work the servo. We'll see, but thank you!

I do have some special 'damping' grease - the question is whether I can get any up there.......

I've just taken my bike for MOT, and the shop owner showed me something he's just built - a very small mobility scooter with a Kawasaki 1000cc 4 cylinder engine behind the seat, chequer plate flooring, theoretically capable of 140mph. Anyone would be mad to take it up to 30pmh........
Looks stunning, and done up in a major companies colours and logo....

Giles

Western Thunderer
Wot!! No differential. :):):):)

Very nice.

Jim.

Here's your diff.... An exercise to see how practical it was. The wrong type for a traction engine, sadly - but would be just the job for a steam lorry..... it works very well (having said that, I suppose they either work or don't...). 13mm x 8.75mm diameter, with 1.5,,mm diameter output shafts. Flanged ball races on the shafts, free floating intermediate gears on a cross-shaft doing the work.

Working differential. 13mm x 8.75mm
by giles favell, on Flickr