Giles' misc. Work bench.

Discussion in 'Workbenches, including workshop techniques.' started by Giles, 2 June 2019.

1. Giles

Giles Western Thunderer

Thank you!

A little more detail....

2. Podartist79

Podartist79 Western Thunderer

Hello Giles,
    Another masterclass! Absolutely superb and inspiring work as ever.
    Love the scale dents and dings on the back spectacle plate, will be interesting to see how you replicate that now on future models !
    Best wishes,
    Neil.

Giles likes this.
  3. Giles

Giles Western Thunderer

Meanderings on side-tipping wagons for 'The Sparrow ' . I need to load the ship, and don't want to use V tippers....

I've made laser-cut cards for the chassis - twelve in all

[​IMG]

Eight chassis built up so far....

[​IMG]

4. Giles

Giles Western Thunderer

2021-07-07_05-33-22

I've finally got six completed (four shown!). The rest are awaiting couplings to be fettled and fitted, and painting.

They are crude, but work.

5. Giles

Giles Western Thunderer

My apologies - I've been having trouble with my Flickr account - sorted now!

They are not quality models, being crude - but they do work, and should be reliable in operation, and they hopefully have the sort of character I am after.

[​IMG]2021-07-07_05-35-58 by giles favell, on Flickr

[​IMG]2021-07-07_05-34-47 by giles favell, on Flickr

Podartist79, 3 LINK, pricei and 13 others like this.
  6. Giles

Giles Western Thunderer

We now have 14 of the blessed things - and that's quite enough!

[​IMG]2021-07-12_05-02-16 by giles favell, on Flickr

I've also been sorting some coaches. They're converted Bachmann Tram cars (obviously!) With vents fitted in the clerestories and all the controllers etc removed. The roofs will be properly fitted after all four passengers have been installed.

[​IMG]2021-07-12_05-01-00 by giles favell, on Flickr

Last edited: 18 July 2021
  7. Podartist79

I love the idea of anything you do as being ‘crude’ Giles! The wagons look absolutely superb, as do the coaches!
    Best wishes,
    Neil.

Giles and Deano747 like this.
  8. Giles

Giles Western Thunderer

Finally, 'Jubilee ' has her plates.....

[​IMG]

9. Hobbyhorse

Hobbyhorse Western Thunderer

That's very nice job, and certainly looks the part.

Simon

Podartist79 likes this.
  10. michael mott

michael mott Western Thunderer

That look great Giles.
    Michael

11. garethashenden

garethashenden Western Thunderer

Those tipper wagons are great! How will you tip them on the layout?

12. Giles

Giles Western Thunderer

Thank you Gents.

At this stage I think it will be a motorised (slightly) inclined rising rod, which could possibly be attached to the hands/arms of an articulated person- but that is a little way down the line. The tip will be on the upstage side of the wagon as the ship is to the audience.

13. Giles

Giles Western Thunderer

Well, I've been looking at the issue.

14. Rob R

Rob R Western Thunderer

Giles,
    As you are using a gear motor is there any particular reason you didn't use a crank straight off the gearbox output to push his arms up?
    Sort of one rev per wagon with a micro switch on the crank at arms down and a push button to start the whole process off?
    Rob

15. Giles

Giles Western Thunderer

Hi Rob,

A couple of reasons I suppose - a linear actuator gives me full adjustment of stroke, with the same mechanical advantage and speed in any position. I also really wanted to avoid flexing the wire and very much wanted to keep it straight. I did consider a cam, as I did for my point motors etc which also accommodate microswiches, but I wanted to try these flip motors with the threaded rod to see how good they were. I certainly want a pause at the top, so it looks less 'mechanical' (the point motors have this facility, but one would need a very big cam to get the travel!)

Rob Pulham, David B and Rob R like this.
  16. Podartist79

You hugely push the envelope and pioneer these things Giles - AMAZING!
    It’s always a thrill and pleasure to see what you’re going to do next!
    Neil.

Giles likes this.
  17. Giles

Giles Western Thunderer

A little something I've been looking at. A Bagnall that I've always found rather attractive, but I only ever found reference on the IRS website - and that was one drawing, and two very poor pictures. I stared looking at them (on CAD) and working things out, and realised that there were significant differences between the drawing and the loco as-built. It then came to light that there was a better drawing in a very good book together with two much clearer photos, and also the excellent Steve Bell had produced a drawing in 16mm. All these proved informative, and the result is this drawing, which I believe reflects the situation of the As built more clearly than previous iterations.

[​IMG]Bagnall Ashanti Diesel by giles favell, on Flickr

Last edited: 26 September 2021
    John Baker, mickoo, PhilH and 3 others like this.
  18. Giles

Giles Western Thunderer

I have a Mars 2 Pro which I have never used, and this was a good excuse to learn about it. I drew in DesignSpark Mechanical and things went well. The rods are 0.4mm diameter.

[​IMG]Rev spring assembly by giles favell, on Flickr

Deano747, John Baker, mickoo and 8 others like this.
  19. Giles

Giles Western Thunderer

20. Giles

Giles Western Thunderer

Bogie frames and rods. The rods are quite small, and I had to reduce the diameter of the Romford crankpin nuts to match - thank Heavens for collets!

[​IMG]2021-09-17_04-29-22 by giles favell, on Flickr