Giles' misc. Work bench.

Rob R

Western Thunderer
Hi Rob, it was at an angle of 28 degrees in this instance.
Thank you Giles.
I suspect most of my print issues stem from the water washable resin I am using but it is nice to see what is achievable with the Mars 2 Pro.
Rob

mickoo

Western Thunderer
I am SO close to placing an order for an Elegoo printer now, and it is all your fault, Giles!
Go for it, I grabbed one of the new Saturn 2 8K machines in their early bird fire sale, can't wait for it to arrive and see how it performs against the Form 3

Rob R

Western Thunderer
Doesn't matter how good the printer is, it's still a black art (and get a bigger bin!).

John Baker

Western Thunderer
Go for it, I grabbed one of the new Saturn 2 8K machines in their early bird fire sale, can't wait for it to arrive and see how it performs against the Form 3

Not to hijack Giles's thread, but I for one would be very interested in your findings - there's a huge difference in cost between these machines, but the 'hobbyist' printer is catching up fast with the likes of Formlabs and a few other traditionally thought of 'pro-quality' machines. When used effectively (correct supports, orientation etc) I bet there's not much between them now.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Not to hijack Giles's thread, but I for one would be very interested in your findings - there's a huge difference in cost between these machines, but the 'hobbyist' printer is catching up fast with the likes of Formlabs and a few other traditionally thought of 'pro-quality' machines. When used effectively (correct supports, orientation etc) I bet there's not much between them now.
Agreed and I'll do so in due course.

I am still impressed with Giles (trying to get back on track ;)) two models, there's little deformation, stretching or banding and the surface quality whilst maybe not perfect when looking close, is still very good. A quick rub with appropriate smoothing implements and a decent filler primer will, as Giles appears to have done, make them very respectable models.

Once you find the sweet spot with orientation, resin choice and settings then you can just churn them out at will.

James Spooner

Western Thunderer
That is looking very impressive - and brings back happy memories of coating the original in waste oil/gunk to prevent the sea air at Boston Lodge having too much of a deleterious effect on the metal…

Giles

Western Thunderer
It's been slow round here!
I have made the hand brake wheels for the two locos - an unusual pattern, I confess to milling them out on the Stepcraft rather than doing them with a piercing saw.

I've also started making the bearings. The tabs at the top of the hornblocks set the ride height, the the ones for the front two axles will be removed as there is simple beam compensation fitted. I'm still waiting for the rest of the wheels, which are out of stock at the moment!