Giles' misc. Work bench.

JimG

Western Thunderer
The late Colin Binnie showed me his method many years ago when making hex heads for his S scale locos. He held a piece of soft or annealed brass rod in a pin vice which had a hex section on its barrel. Then he squeezed the brass rod in vice jaws and rotated sixty degrees using the hex on the pin vice barrel as a guide and squeezed again, and so on.

Jim

michael mott

Western Thunderer
Thanks Giles, I thought that might be the case but didn't want to jump to conclusions, in case you had other reasons.

Michael

Giles

Western Thunderer
Cheers Mike!
One interesting thing. When i was drawing it, I started running into trouble with the program freezing and crashing. I eventually worked out that the problem was me drawing proper domed rivets. The computer couldn't handle the massive amount if data that produced. I got round it by making all the rivets flat discs instead - on the grounds that the paint would round them off........ it solved the problem data wise, and kept the software reliable, and I can't spot the difference.

Phil O

Western Thunderer
Looks good, just needs the rocking lever, that runs off the motion. I will try and find an online photo or two and post it/ them in the morning. Hopefully I will remember.

Giles

Western Thunderer
Progress so far on my loco. The other one will be painted by someone else, so I'm awaiting instructions regarding the fitting or not of pipework.....
This loco has slide bar steps, which is somewhat unusual, but a nice feature. I'm drawing up the steam turret , reverser and other bits and bobs with a view to printing them. I'll use them if they come out well enough, and It's all good practice!

I'm rather pining after the wheels, which are Gibson, and seem in rather short supply. I ordered the lot three months ago, got two axles with a note the others would follow.......