Glazing - material and supplier?

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
An admission... I have not glazed a model in at least thirty years and I cannot remember what I used at the last time.

We have a MMP Class 08 cab approaching completion - the instructions indicate that the glazing material is 0.3mm thick and that the glazing is fixed between inner and outer framing (the inner frame being glued in place). I suspect that there are one or two completed examples of these kits running under WT-control and hence the questions:-

* what material is suitable for glazing the cab windows?
* where can such material be obtained?

thank you, Graham

djparkins

Western Thunderer
An admission... I have not glazed a model in at least thirty years and I cannot remember what I used at the last time.

We have a MMP Class 08 cab approaching completion - the instructions indicate that the glazing material is 0.3mm thick and that the glazing is fixed between inner and outer framing (the inner frame being glued in place). I suspect that there are one or two completed examples of these kits running under WT-control and hence the questions:-

* what material is suitable for glazing the cab windows?
* where can such material be obtained?

thank you, Graham

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Clear-Duralar-003-25X40-Sheet/dp/B004O7A8R0/ref=pd_cp_kh_0

A possibility.

djparkins

Western Thunderer
That is 0.003", which is 0.076mm, representing 3.3mm glass in 1/43

The recommended glazing is 0.3mm, which is 0.01", representing 12mm glass in 1/43

What about Duralar's 0.007 sheet - being 0.178mm, representing 7.6mm glass in 1/43?

Ah - misread the OP.

Graham - if you want .007" you have some cobex of exactly that thickness in your BG kit. Cut a little off of that - there is way more than enough.

InvernessTMD

Western Thunderer
I use clear PETG sheet which I have gotten from Squires, comes in 1mm and 0.5mm thickness. It is optically clear as they use the same stuff for spectacle lenses (the ones we wear, not ones in steam locos!) Cuts easily with a craft knife and reflects light etc just like glass.
Or you could use microscope slides as per Simon V of this parish (and on his website), surprised DJP didn't mention it

djparkins

Western Thunderer
I use clear PETG sheet which I have gotten from Squires, comes in 1mm and 0.5mm thickness. It is optically clear as they use the same stuff for spectacle lenses (the ones we wear, not ones in steam locos!) Cuts easily with a craft knife and reflects light etc just like glass.
Or you could use microscope slides as per Simon V of this parish (and on his website), surprised DJP didn't mention it

Simon V and I disagree about this - I don't like the glass technique and prefer the Cobex - guaranteed optically clear for lifting fingerprints. I think Simon is slowly coming araound to my view though I doubt he would admit it. Its certainly easier to use.

Osgood

Western Thunderer
David - can you recommend a supplier of Cobex - or at least somewhere I can see what thickness sheets are available? Found a couple of names of suppliers but no information online at all.

Thanks!
Tony

Osgood

Western Thunderer
Well I've now found COBEX sheets in 4" x 5" or 6" and in 175mu (0.175mm) or 250mu (0.25mm) thickness, apparently used by forensic folk to lift fingerprints.

Cobex is described as an acetate - is it any different to any other standard 'acetate' sheet material?

adrian

Flying Squad
Well I've now found COBEX sheets in 4" x 5" or 6" and in 175mu (0.175mm) or 250mu (0.25mm) thickness, apparently used by forensic folk to lift fingerprints.
Speaking to my local friendly forensic person (SWMBO) it seems they actually use a special tape (thick sellotape) to actually lift the fingerprints, this is then transferred to a PETG sheet for inspection under the microscope or scanning. Also used for fibres, hairs etc.

When the current govm't decided to shut down the Forensic Science Service my better half picked a few bits and pieces out of the skip for me. So I currently have 400 6"x4" sheets of 500mu PETG in my workroom. This is more than enough for a life time of modelling for me so if anyone is interested and wants a few sheets of PETG then please contact me. All I ask is the the price of postage - a couple of sheets would probably go under a large letter rate. Send me a PM if required.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
I've yet to find a source for this stuff, other than Adrians gracious offer above (which if still valid would like to take up on). It looks just like what I need for some upcoming projects :thumbs:

Osgood

Western Thunderer
Nor did I till you just posted, it was a while ago when I tried to obtain a source - I found one but I never made any notes and then got diverted by some 12" to the foot toys again......:rolleyes: