Grahame's N/2mm bashes

Grahame Hedges

Western Thunderer
The original Borough station was built and opened in 1890, being one of the first tube lines, with a dome and cupola with spire on top looking like St Pauls cathedral according to a drawing of it. It was rebuilt in a less ornate style in the 1920s:

9873760.jpg

and in 1982 it looked like this (below) with different shop frontages and a large LT roundel added:

1982.jpg

In the mid/late 80s it was rebuilt again with the curved tiled exterior and drum upper, like this this pic below taken in 1989 which is how I've modelled it (roughly). Note the unusual striking tall cast concrete LT roundel :

1989.jpg

Since then it had an ugly metal edifice (ventilation grilles), fencing and ladders added to the roof (which is pretty much how it looks now):

103927_bf62a0fa.jpg

Grahame Hedges

Western Thunderer
Another month has drifted by without much modelling, although other projects have progressed. However, this weekend I've made a start on adding signs to the low relief block for the back of the layout. I've had a bash at both pubs - the St John's Tavern is rather wobbly hand sign written with a bullet tipped paint pen (difficult to control and be consistent) while the Antigallican uses some plastic letters that I had. They're only 2mm high and by the time they were painted seemed to get rather messy. For other signs, like hanging name signs, posters and shop names, I think I'll need to get a new printer (my old one is defunct) and take that approach.

DSC_1318red.jpg

fenman

Another month has drifted by without much modelling, although other projects have progressed. However, this weekend I've made a start on adding signs to the low relief block for the back of the layout. I've had a bash at both pubs - the St John's Tavern is rather wobbly hand sign written with a bullet tipped paint pen (difficult to control and be consistent) while the Antigallican uses some plastic letters that I had. They're only 2mm high and by the time they were painted seemed to get rather messy. For other signs, like hanging name signs, posters and shop names, I think I'll need to get a new printer (my old one is defunct) and take that approach.

View attachment 152658
Grahame,
I remember the Antigallican pub, I used to go past it every day on the way to school in Tooley street. I didn't realise the Borough tube station had been rebuilt, I only recall the old one with the two shops either side of the entrance.
Peter.

Grahame Hedges

Western Thunderer
Over the last few days I've been making a garage based on an impressive art deco one in the village where I live. It used to be a petrol station (in the 1930s) but now the pumps are gone and is an 'autocare' garage offering MOTs, maintenance, services and repairs. The model is not an exact replica having to be compressed quite a bit as the real building is rather long. It's mostly made from mountboard card and is far from finished:

DSC_1330red.jpg

Grahame Hedges

Western Thunderer
Here's a progress update on the garage (should anyone be interested). The concertina doors and the pelmets are made and added, and a start made on the forecourt apron board with pavement crossing drops and dwarf wall added. And in primer grey ready for painting. The building is just placed in position but will be glued down later;

DSC02610red.jpg

Joe's Garage

Western Thunderer
Very interesting model Grahame, it reminds me of some of the buildings my Grandfather designed as an architect in the 40s. Do you have any photos of the actual building?
Thanks for posting.
Julian

Grahame Hedges

Western Thunderer
As something a little different, I've been having a little play with a free-to-download bit of software called Gimp to correct converging and diverging verticals for some of my older snaps. With my Nikon DSLR camera (quite old now) you can do it in the camera but my little snap-gun camera doesn't have that feature. Here's one of the first efforts (of Stoney Lane Depot) - the verticals are not perfectly upright as you do the correction by eye and lose a bit of the image, but a big improvement over the original and probably acceptable:

UPDate 100 SLD cor red.jpg

simond

Western Thunderer
I recall that Martyn Wynne did an article on Gimp in the Templot forum, it has some amazing capabilities for a freeware suite. I’ve played a little with it, but it’s not my thing really.

Joe's Garage

Western Thunderer
Lovely caption of the garage Grahame, thanks for this. When I get back to the UK I will take a picture of one of my Grandfather’s artist impressions of his work if interested.

Interesting picture of Stoney Lane

All the best

Julian

Joe's Garage

Western Thunderer
Hi Grahame
I have taken a picture of my Grandfather’s Artist impression he drew in 1949, sorry about glare but he designed a few buildings on the outskirts of London (NW) then I think in the Percival area. I love the cars and costumes in the picture. All done in pen and ink.
Hope it may be of interest.
All the best
Julian928CD7FC-7691-49BD-80FC-AD35B3036AFB.jpeg