Grahame's N/2mm bashes

Grahame Hedges

Western Thunderer
Hi Grahame
I have taken a picture of my Grandfather’s Artist impression he drew in 1949, sorry about glare but he designed a few buildings on the outskirts of London (NW) then I think in the Percival area. I love the cars and costumes in the picture. All done in pen and ink.
Hope it may be of interest.
All the best
JulianView attachment 158089

It's a stylish pen and ink drawing - well worth framing and hanging.

Grahame Hedges

Western Thunderer
I'm currently putting together a couple of TPM/BHE van kits picked up at Ally Pally on Saturday. On the right is a VDA, middle a VCA and on the left a Farish RTR VBA for comparison (it looks taller as it has wheels fitted while the kits don't yet). And still to add decals, pick out details and dirty down:

DSC02841red.jpg

Grahame Hedges

Western Thunderer
Those parts, a roof and chassis, are rather critical to complete a van model. Fortunately the kits on the BHE stand at Ally Pally included a roof, chassis, wheels and body parts (sides, ends and floor).

Paul Cheffings

Those parts, a roof and chassis, are rather critical to complete a van model. Fortunately the kits on the BHE stand at Ally Pally included a roof, chassis, wheels and body parts (sides, ends and floor).
Hi

A suitable chassis is available from the 2mm SA 2-380. Roof can be formed from plasticard.

Cheers

Paul

Grahame Hedges

Western Thunderer
Maybe, and yes, thanks for the suggestions. However, unfortunately I think that the extra effort and double sourcing is likely to put off the causal kit builder, or certainly the beginner. If you have to scratch-make parts, like the roof, and purchase some bits separately, it's no longer simply a complete kit ready to assemble. It's basically just a scratch-build aid and probably a little disingenuous to call them kits.

Although I can make parts from plasticard, I am supportive of developing kits to be complete packages so that they attract enthusiasts in to having a go at some constructive modelling. The NGS has certainly been working to flesh out kit contents by including wheels, bogies and couplers (missing from some ranges they have acquired) as well as producing appropriate decal sheets.

The development of kits over the years has seen to move towards supplying all the bits and parts necessary to make a complete running model. It seems like a backward step to a time when many kits didn't include wheels, couplers, decals, etc.

However, I understand that the Farish chassis is no longer available as a spare part from Bachmann and the roof part is a casualty of the RTR model being discontinued (with rumour that the tooling is worn out).

Oh well.

Last edited:

Grahame Hedges

Western Thunderer
I've been making a little progress on a few stalled projects. I've got some top coat paint on the Chivers BR/LNER long CCT kit. It's acrylic paint just thinned a little with water and brush painted on. I'm quite pleased with the result with no brush marks showing. Now I need to find some suitable decals.

DSC02863red.jpg

And I've managed to get some decals on a pair of BR containers - I'd already completed two. They're a very cheap NGS kit and easy and quick to put together.

DSC02855red.jpg

Grahame Hedges

Western Thunderer
Here's the GHQ N scale Bucyrus Erie 30-B crawler crane that I made up from a kit (some years ago and I still really need to properly string to cabling - I've been meaning to get around to it for ages). The body and tracks are white metal (Britannia pewter) and the jib and ladder are etched brass - all supplied in the kit. It's from the same range as the Caterpillar D8 dozer posted above.

Two red.jpg

Grahame Hedges

Western Thunderer
Current project is bashing a NGS Loriot wagon kit and Tomytec Poclain TY45 in to a ZYR Lowmac EK mounted with with Poclain grab excavator.

db-905065-1.jpg

It's far from finished, there is still quite a bit to do, and, of course, there are compromises, but it progresses well. Here's the progress.

DSC03206red.jpg

Last edited:

Grahame Hedges

Western Thunderer
For a bit of modelling fun and enjoyment I've scratch-built a 'ramshackle workshop' in N/2mm scale, roughly based on the recent new Metcalfe kit which I quite liked the look of. However, I find that Metcalfe kits exude that distinctive Metcalfe corporate style of flat, slightly shiny surfaces, open corners, heavily outlined printed roofing and missing relief details. Consequently, I wondered whether it would be possible to knock up a more convincing model based on one of them.

DSC_1834red.jpg

DSC_1835red.jpg