GWR 2-6-2T No 3107

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
A class of eleven locomotives, designed by G J Churchward and based on experiences gained with a larger prototype 2-6-2T, appeared in the mid 1900s. They were among the last locos to be built at the Great Western Railway's Wolverhampton works, and spent almost their entire lives in the deepest West Country.

Although supplanted fairly quickly with locos of the same size but slightly larger driving wheels, these little locos followed their later brethren with the programme of upgrades and improvements, and renumbering, that would see them last well into the mid-20th century.

For the full, warts and all, build thread, clickety linky thingy.

_MG_6816.jpg

_MG_6817.jpg

_MG_6820.jpg

_MG_6822.jpg

_MG_6826.jpg

_MG_6828.jpg

_MG_6829.jpg _MG_6830.jpg

_MG_6832.jpg

When I first accepted this commission, it seemed straightforward enough: build a small prairie from the Malcolm Mitchell kit to S7 standards. However, it soon became apparent that the original kit, while it provided parts to build the earliest versions of the class, wouldn't actually let me build it straight from the box. This is no reflection on Mr Mitchell. I believe his intention was to provide a kit that most builders would use to create the second generation small prairies, with all the modifications made to the class over the years.

In the end, after agreeing with the client that there would be some inevitable compromises, work entailed creating a new smokebox and boiler front ring, removing a ton of etched detail from the front decks, a new cab roof, adjustments to the brake rigging and some, I have to admit, downright bodgery to get the pony trucks anywhere near right.

I have to say, though, with the freely given help of Graham B (@Dog Star) and Les Golledge (@Les Golledge), I believe I have ended up with something that looks like an early small-wheeled Small Prairie, and it pleases me to see it.

Credits go to Laurie Griffin Miniatures, Slater's, Warren Shepherd, PR Components, CPL, Narrow Planet, and sundry others, for various upgrade and detail parts, and to Warren Haywood for the paintwork.

Last edited:

AJC

Western Thunderer
That's stunning, Heather. You should be very satisfied with the result, a most handsome engine.

Adam

Dikitriki

Flying Squad
First class job there Heather.

A well built and well finished model of an attractive, and slightly different subject.

Richard

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
Thank you Adam, Richard and Simon!

I am pleased with the way it has turned out, although I can see all the errors and flaws in it. Still, it’s complete, and will be delivered in a couple of weeks.

3 LINK

Western Thunderer
You have made a lovely job of an interesting little loco, I love the style and shape of the cab, amazing.

Martyn.

Craig Warton

I made a couple of comments when you first started this build and have watched your journey with great interest. The result is simply stunning, and absolute joy to see Heather. Thank you for sharing this with us, I shall be looking at it with interest when I build my 4mm kit, albeit in early 1920s condition.

Regards,

Craig Warton

paulc

Western Thunderer
Being a dog of black persuasion i model the LNWR but there are a few GWR locos that are really nice . The Dean goods is a wonderfully balanced loco as is the 28xx and your Prarie just looks the part , well done.
I also like the straight frame saint , well beauty is in the eyes of the beholder .

GrahameH

Western Thunderer
Like many others I have followed this build through thick and thin and the end result is a real credit to your skills Heather.

Having acquired a part built kit of the same locomotive I am very tempted to do one similar too ..... GULP !