GWR Saddle Tank

Discussion in 'G3' started by Mikemill, 16 December 2020.

1. Mikemill

Mikemill Active Member

Recently completed G3 GWR Saddle Tank, the model is entirely scratch built, it has R/C function with the battery pack in the tank space and the electronics in the coal bunker.

Mike

P1120323A.jpg P1120318A.JPG P1120319B.jpg

2. john lewsey

john lewsey Western Thunderer

Very nice indeed

3. Tim Watson

Tim Watson Western Thunderer

Very elegant, sharp model. Would the two cab handrails have the same finish?

Tim

4. adrian

adrian Flying Squad

Bang! Talk about turning up with a presence! That is a nice clean model - you say scratchbuilt but I'm interested in the details. Is this all in metal or resin/3d printed? It looks like you have built it in components - for example is the cab as a separate item? Also the coupling rods are they machined in steel? ( one on my hobbyhorses I'm afraid - valve gear in the correct material/colour)

5. Mikemill

Mikemill Active Member

Adrian

The model is all metal, steel for the chassis and brass for the body, a wood former was made to form the tank, the wheels are cut from aluminium with steel tyres. I use a CNC milling machine to make my models, so each part is drawn in CAD and that file is transferred to the mill to cut the part.

A lot of research goes into the project before building, as there are several variants of this class of engine, like many GWR engines.

Mike

Rob Pulham, simond and adrian like this.