Hairy Bikers and Other Petrol Heads

Boyblunder

Western Thunderer
Wow Colin that got me going over breakfast. So, we can't travel to Spa at the moment, can't afford a Jota, my leathers don't fit anymore but I can sign up for the Colchester Town Centre e-Scooter trail. It will be just as dangerous.

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
Wow Colin that got me going over breakfast. So, we can't travel to Spa at the moment, can't afford a Jota, my leathers don't fit anymore but I can sign up for the Colchester Town Centre e-Scooter trail. It will be just as dangerous.

I must admit I do miss a good burn up. :D

Col.

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
I had a brand new Low Rider Sport back in '90, I particularly liked the Evo twin and Kevlar final drive belt.
I had a short term contract at the time shared with a mate, he had an Electra Glide, for a publishers/printers based in Southend-on-Sea to run up and back to central London twice a day. I remember getting verbal abuse from another HD rider because my bike was absolutely filthy, mid winter, he didn't like my response and f****d off pretty quick :D.

Apart from the Triton's I built the HD is one bike I wished I'd kept:rolleyes:

HD Low Rider Sport..png

Col.

Last edited:

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
If you've got 15 mins. to waste then take a butchers at some new bikes for '21 .
Hands up for the Thruxton :cool: or the HD roadster :) or the MV or the ............:rolleyes::D

Col.

Peter Cross

Western Thunderer
On YouTube they have a series of interviews on the Brooklands trust. These mostly done by Steve Parrish with the likes of John McGuiness, these are great to watch lots of stories, seems Parrish was a great practical joker.

Link to Peter Hickman interview

Last edited:

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
That's quite amazing footage with the rev counter centrally in shot. Wonderful stuff, Col.

Mrs D and I used to go to Brands Hatch when god was a boy and before we were married to marvel at Agostini. He was absolutely amazing. That was probably in Hailwoods declining years. It's been good to still see him in the pits now. I took loadsa photos of some races on my Kodak Retinette 1B camera but without a telephoto lens it was a pretty pointless exercise. I still have the slides somewhere.

Is Marquez as good or better? Frankly it's impossible to say as the bikes are now so different as is the riding style but despite his run ins with the great and the good he's magic to watch. I'd never previously seen a rider go into a bend braking on the front wheel with the rear in the air

Great memories and thanks, Col.

Brian

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
Brian,
Being an Essex Boy just over the River Brands was our local circuit and we were always there for the Trans-Atlantic meets but also some of the lesser known races. One local guy had a bike shop in Southend called Hadleigh Custom, Julian Soper, who raced a tuned 750 Honda in a Rob North frame.

I bought a brand new Honda F2 in '78 with all intentions of turning it into a cafe racer but it never materialised :rolleyes:......I ended up building Tritons :D

All the lads used to like the fact that he was out there in a field of screaming 2-strokes and sometimes winning. One of the reasons we followed MV apart from the riders was because it was a four stroke.
We were all a bit anti-two stroke then.

Unfortunately I've not followed todays scene too closely but from what I have seen Marquez is probably as good by comparison and I reckon they are quicker purely because the brakes are probably that more efficient meaning they can increase the lap times with the more powerful motors of today but I'm sure if the likes of Sheene, Read and Agostini were racing today as young guys they'd be up there getting the titles.

The trouble was that when we left the circuit everyone tried emulating, what they just watched, down Death Hill, thus the name !

I took these two shots below at Brands in the '70's , Phil Read with the MV and my old mates behind the bike and Sheen's Suzuki being worked on.

Scan_20200413 (2).png

Scan_20200413 (4).png

Col.

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Those are proper pictures, Col.

We used to see the occasional results of over enthusiastic emulation of what they'd just seen, but by then I was in my ten year old and much loved Mark 1 Ford Consul.

B