Ian_C's workbench - P4 and S7 allsorts

Finishing the Modelu lamps

Ian_C

Western Thunderer
Scale7JB, thanks for confirming rear lamp. Looking at colour photos again I see the lamp on the tender looks just the same as the lamp on the front when not lit. Here's how they turned out...
Loco lamp paint story copy.jpg

1. Humbrol matt brown enamel, AK Worn effects fluid and Vallejo Model Air acrylic used for the painting.
  2. Small hole drilled in the base to mount them on cocktail sticks. Clean with a wipe of IPA and base coat of Humbrol enamel. Dry overnight.
  3. Couple of coats of Worn Effects. Dried over the stove for 15 mins or so, then 3 thin coats of white acrylic. The area behind the lenses is painted black. Over the stove to dry.
  4. One cup of tea later...moisten the white paint with water and scratch a little off where the lamps have been worn or bashed.
  5. Glue the clear lenses in with ZAP Canopy Glue. Lamp oil and grubbiness from a little black and brown panel line wash.
  6. Class G, light engine with up to 2 vans. Looks the part.

Dave Holt

Western Thunderer
Ian.
That is the most superb looking 8F. All the better for being well weathered - just as I remember them. Something to aspire to.
Dave.

adrian

Flying Squad
More photos when I get some time to play with the camera.
That is simply stunning - the weathering and grot on the motion just elevate it to another level. :bowdown: :bowdown:

With such a fantastic model it seems a little churlish to comment and I'm reluctant to raise it. However in the interests of getting it right, maybe your chosen loco is different but on the last photo of the tender I think the guard irons should have a small joggle in to line up to the track gauge. Sorry!!
Screenshot 2021-02-01 at 00.03.17.png

AJC

Western Thunderer
That is simply stunning - the weathering and grot on the motion just elevate it to another level. :bowdown: :bowdown:

With such a fantastic model it seems a little churlish to comment and I'm reluctant to raise it. However in the interests of getting it right, maybe your chosen loco is different but on the last photo of the tender I think the guard irons should have a small joggle in to line up to the track gauge. Sorry!!
View attachment 137400

In the same spirit - because the thing is superlative in build and finish - I wonder whether the overhead warning flashes (which were plastic, I think) would benefit from a bit of relief, say in 5 thou? It’s overscale when I do that in 4mm, but it’s noticeable on the real thing and should be apparent on the model.

Adam

Phil O

Western Thunderer
Top notch work Ian, if you'd just posted the picture with the caption 8f motion, I would be more than happy to think it was the real Mc Coy and not a model.

Ian_C

Western Thunderer

View attachment 137400
You're right, damn you! Pliers I guess.

Ian_C

Western Thunderer
In the same spirit - because the thing is superlative in build and finish - I wonder whether the overhead warning flashes (which were plastic, I think) would benefit from a bit of relief, say in 5 thou? It’s overscale when I do that in 4mm, but it’s noticeable on the real thing and should be apparent on the model.

Adam
Y'know, I agree. I think a better way to do it would be to make a flash plate from shim, gently rivet the corners for the fixing screws and solder it in position. Then decal over the top and microsol it to get it to conform. Could also then weather it to have the grot left uncleaned around the fixings. Next time...

More 8F photos I'm afraid

Ian_C

Western Thunderer
For Mr Adrian Flying Squad, the pliers did their thing...
Tender rear WT size 1.jpg
The paint didn't enjoy it, but the joggle's there now in the guard irons. Thanks for pointing that out.

I was able to make a sortie out to the garden earlier. The light was good for some loco portraiture. Pale grey overcast and very diffuse. Hard to replicate that lighting indoors - where can you buy a giant pale grey light bulb eh? A load of photos were taken before the rain set in, and when uploaded to the Mac, whaddaya know? Cab roof not sat quite straight and a couple of dog hairs attached. So almost all of the shots taken of the RH side of the loco were rubbish. Amazing what you see on a photo that you don't see in reality isn't it? One day it'll stop raining, and I'll have another go.

Loco tender LH side col 1 WT size.jpg
The LH full broadside photo is straight from the camera, just resized for posting here. The colouring came out as I'd hoped in daylight, which tells me that my workbench and workshop lighting is about the right colour temperature.

Loco LH front BW 1 WT sizejpg.jpg
Lower shot was messed with in Lightroom to get a Rose Grove 1968 feel to it (minus piles of char, coal, discarded tools and the famous junked wheelbarrows) . Taking and developing the photos is almost as much fun as building the loco. I really ought to make a shed diorama with some depth to it for photography. This narrow scenic plank does limit your options.

I'll post a few more when I get some decent shots of the other side.

adrian

Flying Squad
The LH full broadside photo is straight from the camera, just resized for posting here. The colouring came out as I'd hoped in daylight, which tells me that my workbench and workshop lighting is about the right colour temperature.
This is simply stunning, thanks for sorting out the guard irons it just finishes off the appearance.

I've just had the photo full screen and soaked up the details from front to rear and then step back and looked at the whole. So thanks for posting it truly is an inspirational mix of art and engineering.

I can't wait to see what you'll turn your hand to next!

Ian@StEnochs

Western Thunderer
Superb work. That gunge on the crossheads from emulsified oil whipped up by steam leaking past the piston rod gland is so evocative of my youth. I never saw an 8f in working condition but plenty of Jubilees and Blackies. Many of which sported leaking glands!

Ian.

Phil O

Western Thunderer
Again, stunning work, the only thing missing is the odd whisp of leaking steam and that last picture would be the dogs dangly bits.