In and Out Buildings - Thoughts and Research

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
I am in panic mode!

I need to get ready for major landscaping work which has been brought forward. Ironically another job needed planning permission so I have been given the chance to get things done early.

I am hoping the dry weather continues for the next 10 days so that I can do a lot of clearing and moving of stuff around the garden. This process should mean that the foundation slab for the garage/workshop could be installed within the month.

Another consideration that comes with the announcement of the easing of restrictions is that even if I get the foundation slab down I would like to visit Keops to examine their product before placing an order. Then the kit takes another 12 weeks to be prepared, imported and delivered.

So Plan B enters. A temporary garage:

Clarke CIG81216 Garage / Workshop – Green (4.9 x 3.7 x 2.5m) - Machine Mart - Machine Mart

SimonT

Western Thunderer
Don't do it! I bought one to store a MGB and bits and pieces. You cannot imagine a damper atmosphere. I kept some of the telescopic steel frame for tomato frame, the rest went to the recycling place.
Simon

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
Thanks for the heads up, Simon. As SimonD wrote recently, WT to the rescue again! As a temporary measure I would have thought it useful but now I come to think of it, in the years when I went camping (for work and fun) those early mornings waking up in a tent come to mind. Worst case was icicles!

Back to the drawing board!

SimonT

Western Thunderer
Would a dehumidifier work?
Nope! I tried it. The tent is a leaky object so I suspect the leaks were too much for the dehumidifier and not enough of a change of airmass in the tent to drop the humidity. Basically the tent is a cold object that condenses the moisture which falls as rain onto what's in the tent while the humidity stays the same. It was very damp. I built it on a concrete slab, which might be part of the problem. Putting it on soil/grass might yiield a small improvement.
Simon T

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
I have a car cover which is supposed to breathe but also allows condensation. It works OK if it is taken off regularly on dry days but is not a good long term solution. For the short term and if this Spring emulates last year then it will do.

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
A lot of back breaking ground clearance during the recent good weather and today might see the car moved onto new temporary quarters but with only the “hi tech” car cover. The more important consideration will be rising damp so I will put down my trusty 1975 Singapore tarpaulin as the floor, then some rescued paving slabs on top. The tarp has quite a history. The area of Singapore known as Thieves Market had a row of shophouses all making tarpaulins. You went down the row and bargained with each towkay (shopkeeper) until a product at the right price was selected. Mine was made to order with eyelets placed to fit the side of the carport at our rented house, basically doubling the working area. It is 15’ by 7’6”.

Since those days it has been used as a children's water slide, as a tarp over a leaking roof, as a temporary car port, as a means of dragging heavy objects across the garden and so on. Less than S$100 well spent, particularly when compared with what you can buy today.

So expect a photo in the days ahead. The car is planned to be parked in front of the foundation for the garage/workshop so that work can continue on that part of the project.

Osgood

Western Thunderer
Coincidentally I've been sorting out tarps today!
Here's one of several I acquired from the sheet maker who used to be in part of the old Melton Constable Works (M&GNJR).
Recognise the logo?
They are ex. china clay high-bar open wagons and have been keeping some of my old machinery and trucks dry for the last 28 years.
I imagine they date from the late 60s - does anyone know when that logo came into use?
This one has gone a little brittle (sorry, a Michael Crawford moment) so I managed to offload it onto a friend after lunch for further service protecting his old Gardner LW engines.
Another was too far gone so is now on the waste pile - a good innings.
Still have another three giving sterling service.
Tarp.jpeg

Last edited:

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
I was hoping I had a photo from the Singapore days and I do, but the tarp is barely visible!

175522113_31c9c49ddb_o.jpg

That’s an MG TD chassis being readied for wire brushing and painting. My four year old showed an early interest in cars. Shorts were de rigeur when working on cars, though after meeting a black snake head on under another car I wore long trousers and a shirt for the next several days! These wintry days it’s a boiler suit over layers of clothing!

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
Big younger brother, by the way, is a 1953 Riley 1-1/2 litre. Beautiful post war cars that are one of the bargains in today’s classic car market.

Still searching for some interior photos.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
The postwar dark green one is a beauty and no mistake. I consider some of the neatest British cars were born in the post-war period. The 1955 Wolseley 6/90 bought by the police was a smart design and looked in movies to be a decent road holder on corners. It used the Italian-style body panels of the previous year's Riley Pathfinder.

Last edited:

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
A few comments.

The engine, twin high block camshafts with cross flow head. Designed in 1928 by Percy Riley, same design lasted until the 1950s. Only 1087cc.

The gearbox, Armstrong Whitworth preselector semi automatic. Select the next gear then when ready to change pump the clutch. Simple, no crash box. My golden rule, always leave lever in Neutral, this photo was taken by the auctioneer.

The brakes, cable to all four drums, adjustable while driving!

Last edited:

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
Larry, you are right, a car to enjoy when both looking and driving. Nearly all post war British cars showed a pent up need to self express after 6 years of war. Think Jaguars, Rileys, Wolseleys, Triumphs, etc. It took MG years to catch up with their MGA.