7mm Invermire

mike knowles

Posted below are a few photos of our 7mm layout, Invermire (loosley based on Wick/Thurso in the North of Scotland) which is currently being constructed by members of Hessle Model Railway group.
The photos were taken at a test session yesterday when we hired the large room at the Hessle Town Hall (where we are based) so that we could set up the full layout (30 feet long).
The latest additions are the fiddle yard, the ballasting and the start of the station building.
The test session went very well. hope you like the pictures and if you want to see the real thing it will be exhibited at the Hull Model Railway Club's Summer Show at Walton Street, Hull on Saturday 4th June.
Hope to see you there.
DSCN5226.jpg DSCN5237.jpg RSCN5232.jpg DSCN5227.jpg DSCN5228.jpg DSCN5231.jpg RSCN5249.JPG
Despite being a Scottish layout we did have some Western Region interlopers though!

I'll post some historical photos of the layout showing construction from day one in due course.

Attachments

• DSCN5241.jpg
    DSCN5241.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 49
  • RSCN5240.jpg
    RSCN5240.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 52
  • RSCN5245.JPG
    RSCN5245.JPG
    78.2 KB · Views: 50
  • RSCN5246.jpg
    RSCN5246.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 52
  • RSCN5248.jpg
    RSCN5248.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 49
  • DSCN5242.jpg
    DSCN5242.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 50
  • DSCN5243.jpg
    DSCN5243.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 51
Last edited by a moderator:

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
Looks brilliant!

All the diesels and rolling stock are the wrong colour, but looks great all the same... ;)

JB.

mike knowles

I notice that my original post has not uploaded as intended. One of the pictures is on twice and a number are just thumbnail attachments. As I think this is the first time I've tried to add a number of photos to a post on here could someone explain what went wrong?

mike knowles

As promised a bit of background to the development of the layout up to its current state.
The layout is being built at our local club – Hessle MRG and represents our first foray into the so-called “senior scale”. It is roughly based on Wick/Thurso and will have a representation of the relatively short train sheds found there and also along the lines of these locations, loco hauled stock will be propelled back out of the station area to allow the loco to run round. (This means no uncoupling/coupling under the shed roof is required).
Baseboard construction was started in early 2012 using 9mm MDF for the sides with 12mm chipboard tops (a bit heavy but should be durable). There is a quayside at the front hence the step down. The photos below show 3 of the 4 boards so far constructed giving a total length of 18 feet but there are already plans to add two more 5 foot boards to extend the run of the single track mainline and give the locos some thrashing room!

room!DSCN1565.JPG DSCN1566.JPG DSCN1567.JPG

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
The next step was construction of common crossings for the pointwork, the following photos show my method of construction, though other methods are available!

View attachment 54614 View attachment 54615 View attachment 54616 View attachment 54617 View attachment 54618 View attachment 54619 View attachment 54620 View attachment 54621 View attachment 54622 View attachment 54623

More to follow.
:eek: All this "making track the proper way" is making my head hurt :confused: ;) :D
Looks good though.

FiftyFourA

Western Thunderer
Just bumped into this thread. As well as the late steam era, I also dabble in the blue diesel era (around 1977/8 period) and this new layout is looking very interesting so I think I will also be "staying tuned". By the way, the trackwork is very nice.

Shame that its outing in June clashes with the GOG Doncaster show; any other dates booked?