7mm James' O gauge workbench thread

AJC

Western Thunderer
It's looking good thus far, much like the 4mm version. How are you going to represent the boltheads on the buffers James?

Adam

jhockuk

Western Thunderer
It's looking good thus far, much like the 4mm version. How are you going to represent the boltheads on the buffers James?

Adam

Thanks Adam,

Not quite sure yet, that is the disadvantage of the Markit items when compared to the Slaters ones. I have some bolt head details parts from EDM models, they are a bolt head and washer, I think I might trim the washer off and see if they are the correct size, they are plastic, but should look good if they are the right size.

jhockuk

Western Thunderer
There is another thing I need to think about for this build, I want my Sentinel to air braked, I do not think the original ones where.

It is not just a simple case of adding air lines from what I can tell, it will also need some sort equipment to generate the compressed air (does it show I don't really know what I am talking about?!).

I have had alook around and there seem to all sorts of add ins to do this,

https://www.flickr.com/photos/johnpaddy22/6325763999/

This looks quite simple as it is all enclosed, so makes the job a little simpler.

I can easily add this from plasticard, but as the kit is brass I intend to undercoat with acid etch primer, will that have an adverse affect on plasticard?

James

AJC

Western Thunderer
Hi James

Quite often train air braking was a customer add on (the loco's themselves always had loco air brakes) but I would think that it was also available as a factory option as it was from Hunslet or Barclay. That fitted to Denise is fairly typical and pretty easy to cut from brass sheet or scrap etch with, say, a piercing saw. You could cut the holes for the grilles that way too.

Adam

ZiderHead

Western Thunderer
Hmm you've got me wondering now Adam, I always assumed that was a compressor (right size and shape) and looking through my pics the unbraked sentinels don't appear to have it, and most of the braked ones do. Looks a bit OTT for a filter, and theres plenty of room under the hood for the filter. Could it be that this is the original compressor design and other originally unbraked sentinels have been retrofitted with different compressor designs in different locations?

Jon (who is very confused now!)

AJC

Western Thunderer
I've just dug out my Thomas Hill instructions for the 4mm 0-6-0 - basically a Sentinel with a sensible cab - which describes this item as an air filter. [One of these, in fact: http://www.philt.org.uk/Industrial/Ind-DE/i-KBNMRZn/A - no train brake on this one you'll note]

The example (rebuilt with a Cummins engine) doesn't: http://www.philt.org.uk/Industrial/Ind-DE/i-hQ7JwBt/A

Mike Edge might be wrong, I guess, and it isn't as if such details weren't changed along with the engines themselves on occasion.

Adam

jhockuk

Western Thunderer
Well nearly a year on and I have finally resumed work on this kit! It's been a rather hectic few months but I glad to be working on it again.

Not done much this evening other than cut out all the glazing as the cab is the next assembly that needs doing.

Never had to create glazing before but it seems quite easy as there is a recess in the brass etch where the glazing sits and then a nickel silver overlay, which is added after the loco has been painted.

jhockuk

Western Thunderer
Distraction is a terrible thing...

I have been looking at my wagon fleet (currently only 3 in number), one of them is Parkside Grampus and it did not really fit with my chosen period of the mid 2000's.

I was looking through some reference books when I found some pictures of a batch of rebuilt grampus wagons, they had retain the same sides but had new ends and air brakes.

So this happened:

20151112_222826_zpsausrpd7f.jpg

Not perfect but with anyluck a reasonable representation.

This should be a link to pic of the real thing, coded ZBA.

BR Rudd and Clam ballast/spoil wagons ZBA ZCA

Last edited:

AJC

Western Thunderer
This is an interesting project - please expand upon what you did for the conversion of the ends.

When did the conversions take place? How many?

The conversion - well a rebuild, really - dates from the 1980s, going on the state of this paintwork, probably c. 1988 (Paul Bartlett says introduced 1989):

BR Rudd and Clam ballast/spoil wagons ZBA ZCA

Work seems to have involved airbrakes, roller bearings and new ends, but I have no idea how many were treated. Details may well have appeared in 'Datafile' in Model Railway Constructor at about this time but @hrmspaul will probably have a better idea. SR-designed Lamprey's got similar treatment (but new sides rather than ends and apparently without the roller bearings) but a little earlier. These were branded 'Crab per this example:

BR ballast Lamprey, Crab, ZBO ZBV ZCV | DB991001_ZCV_CRAB__m_

Adam

Mr Grumpy

Western Thunderer
Hi James,
Just come across your thread!
I see you use Laco flux. I think this is the best flux I have used. A quick wash down with a little washing up liquid at the end of each session and no staining or 'green' joints!
As for my choice of soldering iron, I use an Antex TCS 50 and occasionally an a 25w Antex for tiny bits. I also have a low temp Antex which I haven't used for some time.
I built two MMP tankers with the TCS, and used the 25w iron for the cat walks.
I have very nearly finished my DJH 47, and used nothing other than the TCS. To get a bit of heat in to the pewter, I just put on the large screwdriver blade type tip. I even managed to completely remove the Serck grilles after Mickoo pointed out I had built them incorrectly. Enjoying your builds!

jhockuk

Western Thunderer
This is an interesting project - please expand upon what you did for the conversion of the ends.

When did the conversions take place? How many?

Hey Dog Star,

in terms of the work I have done on this wagon, so far it has had the following, bare in mind that when i started this project the idea was to convert it to a vacuum fitted Grampus, but once I discovered the Rudd conversion it meant I could I use it for later period.

Brakes - I purchased some addition parts from Parkside in order to represent the Air brakes, some sent me a list of what was needed, but I can't find the message, I will have further look. I also fitted some extra brass wire to represent air pipes.

The reinforced ends - These are made from thin plasticard (to thin as it has bowed a little) and square evergreen section with angle cut onto one end. The original ends of the Parkside kit where cut down to the buffer beam and everything added on.

Pictures on the internet vary, some of the wagons seem to have Oleo buffers, some seem to have retained the original, so I stuck with the original.

jhockuk

Western Thunderer
I have also managed to progress the Sentinel, after having to go back and redo the engine casing as for some reason I had soldered the base on about 0.5mm to far back so it fouled the recess where the cab front needed to be:

20151115_152300_zpshumk2um5.jpg

The cab sides still soldering up, but time and domestic duties caught up with me.

jhockuk

Western Thunderer
Well it has a roof now, I really struggled with the roof, nothing to do with the kit, just the first time I have need to roll and shape brass.

It is not too bad and and I will be able to clean it up:

20151117_225705_zpswwu909rk.jpg

I also ordered a new wagon from Buzz Models, an MFA open used for engineering work:

20151117_181604_zpsinsjhqtb.jpg

It is a resin body with white metal frame, I have gone for Peartree Engineering 3'1" disc wheels. I will be replacing the buffers with sprung Oleo buffers from MMP.

Last edited: