John’s Workbench

John Duffy

Western Thunderer
I really do like the look of these wagons - using wood makes all the difference. As a swag - is it laser cut thin ply? Which source and thickness are you using? Also it's bleeding obvious to me now but I presume using the black styrene will make painting the ironwork easier.

Adrian for 4mm scale, the bodies are laser cut, 1mm Baltic Ply and for my 7mm work I use 1.5mm. The ironwork is a laser cut, 0.2mm material called Laserboard. Earlier on in the thread I was using 300 gms card, which worked well, but this material is just a bit easier to work with. I mark the bolt positions so that it is easier to locate the bolt heads. I can use them with the rivet press or as I have done in these last couple, to locate styrene slices. The plan is to make a set of standard parts that I can make myself some "kits" with.

IMG_8867.jpg

I have now received some decals, so hopefully further progress will be made over the weekend or early next week. I'm also in the process of getting some sprung W Irons made that will include the curved retaining plate that the L&Y used on most of its vehicles.

Hopefully some updates to follow.

John

adrian

Flying Squad
I have now received some decals, so hopefully further progress will be made over the weekend or early next week. I'm also in the process of getting some sprung W Irons made that will include the curved retaining plate that the L&Y used on most of its vehicles.
Thanks for the information - really useful.

The laserboard seems very similar to the oiled manilla card I've been using for making stencils - although it seems the authentic polybak laserboard is more user friendly in terms of fumes. It's certainly given me the inspiration for a couple of my projects.

I was wanting to try the RCH wagon chassis kit from Ragstone but needed a project for them - following your posts seems like a good option. One of ideas being if I cut the sides out with the laser cutter I could etch in to the surface the lettering for the PO company to aid painting - is this something you've considered tried?

John Duffy

Western Thunderer
Thanks for the information - really useful.

The laserboard seems very similar to the oiled manilla card I've been using for making stencils - although it seems the authentic polybak laserboard is more user friendly in terms of fumes. It's certainly given me the inspiration for a couple of my projects.

I was wanting to try the RCH wagon chassis kit from Ragstone but needed a project for them - following your posts seems like a good option. One of ideas being if I cut the sides out with the laser cutter I could etch in to the surface the lettering for the PO company to aid painting - is this something you've considered tried?
Drawing the RCH sides and under frames (if you are going with wooden U/F) is straightforward. I wouldn't consider the lettering though - it would be easy to do - but I get decals made for my wagons as I prefer that to painting.

J