7mm Judith Edge Hunslet 67T Diesel Hydraulic Industrial

InvernessTMD

Western Thunderer
This has been built for a while but I did take some shots of the build...

The prototype locos were built for BSC at Templeborough/Rotherham and there were 6 in total to replace some ageing Fowler 0-4-0 diesels. They have 400hp engines (not sure of the type). Once the steelworks closed some went to Rover at Longbridge and some of those are now at Long Marston (or were). They have since had the ingot buffers removed and other items added.

Out of the box... The 'instructions' were rather vague but reading through them and identifying the parts a couple of times and it made sense and I could picture how it went together.
JE_Hunslet67T1.jpg

Opening out the holes for the bearings
JE_Hunslet67T2.jpg

Bearings fitted to one side
JE_Hunslet67T3.jpg

I bought an 8" hold and fold at the same show I bought the kit, as I wanted to do it properly, and not end up with it like my MMP 08...
JE_Hunslet67T4.jpg

InvernessTMD

Western Thunderer
The chassis made up, on the obligatory plate of glass (I did my mother a deal, I bought a new chopping board and I got the plain glass one!!) I deviated from the instructions at this point as I have left off the central spacer as I intended to drive the centre axle rather than an end.
JE_Hunslet67T5.jpg

Lengthways. I reamed the bearings to ensure alignment at this stage as well.
JE_Hunslet67T6.jpg

All square :) Centre wheelset is flangless so no point it being there at this stage! The wheels are slightly undersize being Slaters Dock Tank ones. I forget what the correct size should be! Graham Harrison removed the flanges from the centre wheelset for me.
JE_Hunslet67T7.jpg

I have managed to miss taking photos of the bonnet being made!! Bonned baseplate and cab floor being checked for fit. The bonnet was a doddle to fold due to half etched lines on the inside and it soldered to the rad grille and other formers. Another deviation from the instructions was made here as I removed the cab floor part of this as doing it this way meant that the cab would have to be painted very early on.
JE_Hunslet67T8.jpg

InvernessTMD

Western Thunderer
Bonnet with the access shutters in place. To make folding easier I left these out until folded, some might baulk at that idea but the brass is quite thick.
JE_Hunslet67T9.jpg

The footplate is made up of about three layers. The glass plate was arranged to overhang the desk so I could clamp it flat whilst I soldered the parts together.
JE_Hunslet67T11.jpg

Cab front and one side. The four holes in the part between the doors are for attaching it to the bonnet (as well as soldering it, which I did).
JE_Hunslet67T12.jpg

Back of cab and the other side attached.
JE_Hunslet67T13.jpg

InvernessTMD

Western Thunderer
Cab attached to the bonnet. Radiator grille still to attach and what I can only assume to be the air intake cover to go on the top. Exhaust shroud on the cab front to go on as well.
JE_Hunslet67T14.jpg

Other end. It is sitting flat on the glass, just the shadow on the desk below makes it look like it isn't.
JE_Hunslet67T15.jpg

A Ron Chaplin creation! Cost more than the kit but the thing will move a house!
JE_Hunslet67T18.jpg

Con rods, these are laminated together.
JE_Hunslet67T20.jpg

InvernessTMD

Western Thunderer
Testing. At this stage the motor was drawing 0.05A...
JE_Hunslet67T22.jpg

Finished con rods, just need some fettling to neaten up the edges and the bearings filed flush.
JE_Hunslet67T26.jpg

The ingot buffers, The top one has been modified to take my choice of coupling, a Kadee which itself has been modified. A hole was drilled vertically to allow a pin to be inserted retaining the coupling.
JE_Hunslet67T29.jpg

Top coupling is unmodified, the bottom one is modified by shortening the tail and creating an opening behind the head for the retaining pin.
JE_Hunslet67T30.jpg

InvernessTMD

Western Thunderer
Top view of the couplings, The spring sits in the U created by the shortening. The triangular cut out is to allow the coupling to rotate about the retaining pin.
JE_Hunslet67T31.jpg

Buffers being modified to fit the beams and to allow me to spring them.
JE_Hunslet67T32.jpg

Nearly there!! Just the cab roof (pain in the provervbial due to the shape of it!)
JE_Hunslet67T33.jpg

The finished beast! Heatshield on the front, the cab roof overhangs the rear steps and there is another heatsheild there.
JE_Hunslet67T35.jpg

Apologies for the breaks in the sequence, but I tended to concentrate on what I was doing and forgot to take photos!!

InvernessTMD

Western Thunderer
I thought a further photo showing the sub-assemblies might be appreciated...

At the back we have the footplate, with heatshields, handrails, bufferbeams, steps and valances (the nearest handrails have come adrift slightly, they popped back into place as I was re assembling!). I have added the horizontal bar at the top of the rear roof supports/heatshield to give the uprights some strength, it is all hidden under the roof.

In front of that is the bonnet/cab assembly, which does have the capability to be split futher into cab and bonnet, but it will damage the paintwork if I were to do so.

At the front is the cab floor (the bit that I removed from the bonnet base mentioned above), with seat (MMP), brake handwheel (kit, but on some brasas tubing), and the control deskm wich has had some bits from the same MMP set as the seat. The driver is from Peter Clark. The nut to the right of the desk has a corresponding one on the other side of the desk, two small machine screws go into these from under the footplate (the holes are the two outer ones at the cab end of the handrails, the inner ones take the bolts from the narrow section of the bonnet, which are soldered in and I use the nuts underneath. The bolts on the bonnet section explain why the cab is in teh air in the photo). The hole in the middle between seat and brake handle is to allow the rear bolt to pass through and grab the nut which is soldered to some scrap brass on the back of the cab door, thus securing it all in place.

On the right is the chassis with motor, labelled so I know which way round it goes! If you look closely at the footplate, there is a strip of brass at the cab end, part way along the opening. This stops the motor from lifting up when moving in one direction, going the other way, the middle chassis spacer suitably modified and repositioned stops any movement that way.
Hunslet_subassmbly.jpg

It was a nice kit to build, and I would like the double bonnetted and bogied version that can be found at Scunthorpe... JE does a kit in 4mm, and is supposed to be doing it in 7mm too, watch this space!
Until then, I like the look of the Sentinel in either the 4w or 6w version, though the 7mm kits can only be done with rod drive (allegedly!)

AJC

Western Thunderer
I guess that the obvious reason is the reason; it isn't that unusual on industrials to have flangeless centre drivers so I guess that the state of the track they were designed to work on might also be a factor? Nice job of what looks a decent kit - they are in 4mm, but never tried one in 7mm.

I like the label on the chassis spacer. ;)

Adam

InvernessTMD

Western Thunderer
Jordan, they are the short box ones, #806s I think. They have the spring in front of the central spigot rather than behind, if that makes sense? Mainly used on coaching stock where bogie swing precludes the use of the standard #800 box.

From the blurb in the kit,
" HUNSLET 403hp 0-6-0DH,
These locomotives were built between 1971 and 1978 for hauling ingot cars at British Steel's Templeborough works. The specification was for a loco no larger than the existing Fowler 0-4-0 Diesel-Electrices but with twice the tractive effort and still able to go round 90 degree reverse curves. The end result was a loco with 6" thick frames, 8" thick bufferbeams - even the footplate is 3" thick. This massive frame, weighing 27 tons on its own, presents some problems in the model - most of our materials are far too thin for once. Only seven were built, all with the special drawgear and centre buffers for the ingot cars, but more recently three have gone to Rover at Longbridge for more general shunting duties.
Requires 3'9" wheels"

Guess the requirement to go round 90 degree reverse curves would explain the flangless centre wheels?

I have seen photos of a pair of these at Long Marston, one has had the heat shields removed and one has had even more plating attached to the cab end!! Not done anything to improve the appearance, though I think they are chunky and look 'right' for an industrial loco, nice and heavy and with plenty of grunt.

Does anyone know what engine is in them so I can try and get sound for it....?

I wouldn't like to build the 4mm version, this was fiddly enough!!:D

AJC

Western Thunderer
That's a fiddle?! But this is a BIG engine in a big scale; should be easy! :p

Not sure about the engine; Rolls Royce possibly? That would be a common choice as built for Hunslets of the period. Whether the real thing still have the original engines I wouldn't like to say.

Adam

InvernessTMD

Western Thunderer
I believe they are RR powerplants, but of what type I don't know. I did speak to someone at Hunslet a few years back at a show and he asked me to email him but I never got a reply...

It isn't THAT big, only 8 inches long, shorter than an 03...

Some of the bits are fiddly to solder together, perhaps the smaller size of them in 4mm might not suck so much heat out of the iron!

InvernessTMD

Western Thunderer
Following an appeal for info on the Industrial Loco page on FB, They were originally fitted with Paxman 8RPHX but the trio still in existence now have Perkins 3012 (RRCV12) engines.

I have found a video of a Paxman engine being started (in a workshop) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxW32d7NSsU,

Apparently the Perkins/RR engine was rated at 650hp, one of the surviving trio is at Nemisis rail and a runner. The RRCV12 was found in Challenger tanks, though rated at 1200hp!!

The various additions to them were bigger compressors for train air brakes and a tank attached to the rear heatshield for water in an attempt to reduce the noise on the tight corners within the Longbridge plant. The extended noses were something to do with noise suppression, again, probably due to the larger engines