Kingswear for Dartmouth

Discussion in 'Layout Progress' started by PJBambrick, 8 July 2020.

1. PJBambrick

PJBambrick Member

A new website to catch up with progress on 'Kingswear for Dartmouth' in P4.

We'll expand it as the job progresses, but there's already some interesting modelling to see, and some of the research is included to provide background info.

Hope you like it so far........Kingswear P4 site

Kingswear for Dartmouth.png

Last edited: 8 July 2020
  2. Dan Randall

Dan Randall Western Thunderer

Your main web site is one of my regular haunts Paul, but due to the large amount of content, it’s easy to lose track of what’s going on sometimes. A dedicated Kingswear web site, is a great idea! :thumbs:

Regards

Dan

Dog Star and jonte like this.
  3. PJBambrick

PJBambrick Member

Thanks for the vote of confidence Dan, maybe six months from now till the scenics are finished, after that it's stock detailing and final touches.

Kingswear pelmet.jpg

4. jonte

jonte Western Thunderer

Hello, Paul, and welcome to the forum.

Your model is already magnificent and your website reminiscent of an MRJ article. Nice.

Would you be kind enough to share details of your traverser which looks quite substantial?

Looking forward to future updates.

Jonte

AdeMoore likes this.
  5. Alan

Alan Western Thunderer

My layout Kingsbridge Regis, its still on here in the Wencombe, Kingsbridge Regis thread in Layouts, was very loosely based on a mirror image version of Kingswear. Nowhere near as good as yours.

Muddysblues, Andy P and AdeMoore like this.
  6. jonte

jonte Western Thunderer

As a I remember, Alan, your layout was fondly received by many of us here.

Jonte

Muddysblues, AdeMoore and Alan like this.
  7. Dog Star

Dog Star Western Thunderer

I agree with Dan in respect of Bambrick Studios, a wonderful source of information about excellent modelling.

Muddysblues, AdeMoore, 3 LINK and 2 others like this.
  8. PJBambrick

PJBambrick Member

Thanks for the interest and positive comments Jonte, I'll see if I can persuade the layout owner to respond here regarding the traverser arrangement ( he's called Paul as well....just to confuse things nicely!)

Muddysblues, AdeMoore and jonte like this.
  9. dibateg

dibateg Western Thunderer

Very nice Paul - good to see you here!

Tony

AdeMoore likes this.
  10. GrahameH

GrahameH Western Thunderer

As others have quite rightly said previously the layout is going to be testament to your skills and will be superb once it is finished.

Grahame

gwrrob, AdeMoore and jonte like this.
  11. Lancastrian

Lancastrian Western Thunderer

Paul,

That back scene is amazing. I've just had a look at your own website and I wasn't aware it was you who worked on Bucks Hill. I have just shared both your own and Kingswear websites with friends in the SR7mm Group for some inspiration during this time of no exhibitions.

Keep up the great work.

Ian

PJBambrick and AdeMoore like this.
  12. PJBambrick

PJBambrick Member

Really appreciate all the positive comments, and I know both Paul Woodward, (the layout owner) and Neil Podbery are very pleased with the support and encouragement. There are many others who have contributed their time and effort to this build along the way, so there's a debt of gratitude to them as well. All we have to do now is to KBO till it's done!

NHY 581 and AdeMoore like this.
  13. Paul W

Paul W New Member

Hello Jonte - thank you for your interest and kind words about our efforts so far. The traverser is indeed a hefty bit of kit which came, in very rudimentary form, with the embryo layout when we initially inherited it, some seven years ago now - I'll do a description on the website shortly as part of the history of the acquisition with some notes on its construction.

14. jonte

jonte Western Thunderer

Hello, Paul, and welcome.

Waiting with baited breath as I'm sure are many fellow Westerners.

Many thanks.

Jonte

AdeMoore and GrahameH like this.
  15. daifly

daifly Western Thunderer

Bated breath would be more appropriate- unless you’re hoping to catch something?
    Dave

simond and adrian like this.
  16. jonte

jonte Western Thunderer

Dam you predicted thingy ;)

Jntoe

17. vonmarshall

vonmarshall Active Member

What a wonderful model and a great website.

There is something very evocative about a mainline express train on a single line meandering alongside a river and it is that feeling that I am aiming to replicate in my garden.

I did see something very interesting on the website and hoped that somebody may be able to expand upon...

Cross checking on the Shed Bash site shows 5028 Llantilio Castle as being there on 30 September 1945, and again in 1951, so pretty good justification all round for this being one of our named engines eventually. 5024, Carew Castle is not mentioned on the specific dates surveyed, but that’s not to say it wasn’t sometimes there, as Percy recalled.

Mention is also made of an engine running the afternoon service from Kingswear to Paddington on a Sunday, if it had no work allocated at Paddington, then returning to Kingswear double headed on the Torbay. Not necessarily another ‘Castle’, though possibly, and double heading is certainly something we have noticed on a number of photos, and will be nice to reproduce.

I don’t suppose anybody here knows where I can find anymore info about this do they?

gwrrob likes this.
  18. PJBambrick

PJBambrick Member

Thanks very much vonmarshall and sorry for reply delay....I'll post some more progress pics next week.

Paul W and Neil are still consulting with colleagues about which locomotives to run, but I know they have referred to the:

Newton Abbot to Kingswear Railway (Oakwood Library of Railway History)
    by C.R.Potts
    • Paperback: 352 pages
    • Publisher: The Oakwood Press; 2nd edition edition (19 May 2014)
    • Language: English
    • ISBN-10: 0853617333
    • ISBN-13: 978-0853617334
    There are a number of articles in the Wild Swan GWRJs as well

Great Western Railway Journal

Creek Bridge.jpg

mpr-s4, LarryG, Muddysblues and 9 others like this.
  19. PJBambrick

PJBambrick Member

Just a note about the traverser, which has prompted questions from a number of
    modellers interested in such things. It is undoubtedly large – over ten feet long
    and four feet wide, incorporating nine tracks, and very heavy with its new
    Dexion frame. It had originally been part of hidden sidings on Mike Casey’s
    layout, but has been adapted and stabilised for our purposes, and extended a
    little to include a loco turntable. The sliding system consists of three solid steel
    transverse rods, of about 1 inch in diameter, located beneath the two ends and
    the centre of the board, with two roller bearing housings running on each,
    screwed to the underside. I believe it is a system used more commonly in the cnc
    machining industry.
    In any event, it can be moved with the lightest of touches. Manual operation for
    the moment, but we are investigating the possibility of some kind of stepper
    motor control and indexing, with a view to the precise lining up of each of the
    tracks with the exit line.

kings.jpg

kings 3.jpg

kings 2.jpg

mpr-s4, Alan, Muddysblues and 7 others like this.
  20. jonte

jonte Western Thunderer

Bullet proof!

Most ingenious, Paul, as well as being ‘re-cyclable’ ;)

Thank you for sharing and good luck with the new initiative.

Jonte

AdeMoore likes this.