La Gaffe....a French Metre Gauge Mini In 1:32 Scale

John D

Western Thunderer
This project has been on the back burner for a while since since my other thread on this forum, but a rash promise to get it ready for Mr. Casten's 2013 Larkhall lark has galvanised me into action for the coming winter months. I've done a couple of low relief buildings for the end of the layout where the track appears from the storage cassette and these,together with the station building and a couple of walls, give the layout a very white appearance. This will be rectified when I figure out how to replicate the 'stucco' finish on the building walls which the French seem to like. Also I've had a etched sheet done for a coach and wagon underframe (basic) on which is also some handwheels, wrought ironwork for the coach balcony ends and a small selection of loco nameplates. Out with the plastikard again to do the bodies for the underframes.
Whilst all this was going on I still had no idea of what to call the finished station/layout..... I wanted something 'different' and not to go down the ' allo-allo' path.....in the end the solution came quite unexpectedly. Last month my youngest son was marrieds in London, we went down and stayed in a small hotel in Hampstead which was.....'La Gaffe'...........loosely translated as a mistake,blunder or co*k up...... brilliant!!....and that was it, a 'eureka' moment. Already it's lived up to its name as when the underframe etch came back I spotted that I'd co*ked up some polylines on the artwork and some fold lines had thus not appeared....DOH! :headbang:

gaffe1.jpg

gaffe2.jpg

gaffe4.jpg

gaffe5.jpg

gaffe6.jpg

Attachments

• gaffe1.jpg
    gaffe1.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 10
  • gaffe2.jpg
    gaffe2.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 11
  • gaffe4.jpg
    gaffe4.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 10
  • gaffe5.jpg
    gaffe5.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 10
  • gaffe6.jpg
    gaffe6.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 10

John D

Western Thunderer
My son wants your train set!
I want your train set.

But ...but...it's not a train set yet ....just a loco and a couple of underframes:'(

OK then......todays starter for 10.....does anybody know how big a French coal briquette is ?........they seem to stack piles of them on the tank tops ,so I guess I'll have to get them looking something like. Having just written all that I realise that it's a bit like asking how long is a bit of string .....but somebody might known :)

Simon

Flying Squad
No idea about les briquettes, but the whole thing is shaping up really nicely. I particularly like the new underframes with their short wheelbase and long overhangs.

I have found un autre magnifique Gallic exhibit for "Larkrail", there are going to be stripey breton tops all over the place:))

BTW I'll definitely be seeing you all on the 6th with you know what, sorry about appalling admin etc.

Simon

Neil

Western Thunderer
Bit of a bind given that I'm supposed to be concentrating my efforts in only three different directions but thanks to this I've started to find myself drifting off towards French subjects again. Mind, how could I resist such quirkiness as this.

John D

Western Thunderer
I've started to find myself drifting off towards French subjects

If you haven't done done it yet...trawl the net for the old postcard views of the 'tramway a vapeur' (or 'tacot') then you sort of get hooked :)

Neil

Western Thunderer
If you haven't done done it yet...trawl the net for the old postcard views of the 'tramway a vapeur' (or 'tacot') then you sort of get hooked :)

Smitten a long time ago. Upstairs in the 'bureau of gloat' I have a David Provan set of etches for a 009 tram loco which one day will take its turn for my attentions.