LarryG's general album

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
Nah, the best way to see Wales is from 250ft in an aircraft with a galley;)

Once flying back to Birmingham from Newark on a Continental flight we passed over Anglesey, the only bit of Wales that was visible. After that the exact coastline of North Wales and Cardigan Bay was the edge of a huge thick bank of cloud with the sea alone visible. Land emerged again over Shropshire and stayed in view all the way down to Elmdon (as it was once known!)

LarryG

Western Thunderer
47608 is climbing steadily to Festiniog Tunnel with a service train from Llandudno in the mid 1980's. Planned as a narrow gauge line from Betws-Y-Coed to Ffestiniog, engineering work on the line was well advanced when the decision was taken to lay standard gauge track instead. The added cost was excessive particularly so in the case of Festiniog Tunnel, which was cut through very hard rock...
WEB Diesels 58A.jpg

Another Class 47 hauled train runs downgrade soon after leaving the tunnel in the 1980's. This is wild and desolate country with grass that is as unforgiving as bristles. One false step and one ends up ankle deep in water-filled crevices. Not a nice place...
WEB Diesels 58B.jpg

LarryG

Western Thunderer
As has been written many times, the view at the southern end of Festiniog Tunnel is as different as it could be from that at the northern end. So disfigured are the mountains because of the slate industry that all greenery has been replaced by slate waste. Appropriately named Class 47 No. 47537 County of Gwynedd leaves the tunnel at Blaenau with a summer service train from Llandudno on 22nd August 1984...

WEB Diesels 59A.jpg

The climb up the slate waste to this spot beside the tunnel was well worth it that day as I also captured Class 25 No. 25325 climbing the 1-in-90 out of Blaenau Ffestiniog with thew nuclear flask working from Trawsfynedd power Station, 22nd August 1984. Greaves siding closed in the 1960's is at the bottom of the scene. It was virtually impossible to shunt without the locomotive spending much of its time inside the tunnel...
WEB Diesels 59B.jpg

Viewed this time from the other side of the tunnel, Class 31's Nos. 31306 and 31207 head a ballast train into the tunnel on 14th November 1993 during upgrading of the Bala branch between Trawsfynedd and Blaenau
WEB Diesels 59C.jpg

Super-elevation at its most extreme........Class 31 No. 31408 enters Ffestiniog with a train from Llandudno in the late 1980's soon after some DMU workings went over to loco haulage during the summer timetable.
WEB Diesels 59D.jpg

Last edited:

Dave Holt

Western Thunderer
On a warm, sunny day, Blaenau is rather pleasant. I'm always intrigued by the small trees - mainly Mountain Ash/Rowan - that manage to cling to the smallest of ledges within all that slate waste and create little islands of green amongst the grey. However, with the mist and low cloud clinging to the tips and sheep blowing down the High Street like tumbleweed, it's the most depressing place I've ever been to. Plenty of railway and industrial heritage interest whatever the weather, though.
Dave.

simond

Western Thunderer
Take a stroll up to Nantlle & Dorothea quarry on a blustery day. It reminds me of Mordor!

used to go scuba diving in there when the weather wasn’t up to going in t’oggin.

Rob R

Western Thunderer
Take a stroll up to Nantlle & Dorothea quarry on a blustery day. It reminds me of Mordor!

used to go scuba diving in there when the weather wasn’t up to going in t’oggin.

The top of Dinorwic Quarry (proper English spelling!) when there is a bit of a "blow" can be quite "interesting".
Certainly not the place for your best camera gear unless you are geared up for scuba diving.

Rob
Older now but not much wiser.

PhilH

Western Thunderer
Greaves siding closed in the 1960's is at the bottom of the scene. It was virtually impossible to shunt without the locomotive spending much of its time inside the tunnel...

Siding Diagram.jpg

The Oakeley Quarry siding on the opposite side of the branch must have been even more difficult to shunt, situated on a sharp curve with the entry point partly inside the tunnel. It was replaced by a narrow gauge line from the quarry to the ex LNWR yard built in 1933, which crossed the Conwy Valley Line on a viaduct then ran across the Glan-y-Don Waste Tip and descended an incline to run alongside the Conwy Valley Line into the yard. The siding was lifted in June 1941.

Slate was brought down the incline from Llechwedd Quarry to Greaves Wharf until August 1965, although it was also despatched from the wharf by road transport so rail traffic from the siding may have ceased before that date.

4228B.jpg

This view from above the tunnel mouth was taken in March 1965, with Greaves Siding on the left and the site of the Oakeley Siding in the centre. The course of the Festiniog Railway leading from the foot of the incline from Llechwedd Quarry is in the cutting running from the bottom left hand corner of the photo then passing under Greaves Siding and the main branch line towards the right hand opening under the viaduct. The viaduct was built by the Welsh Slate Company, one of the constituents of the later Oakeley Quarry, when they had run out of available land on their side of the Afon Barlwyd for waste tipping. A slate mill was later built on top of the tip. The viaduct and tip were removed in a landscaping scheme in the 1970s.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
According to PhilH, the bridge over the 'valley' was built to carry slate waste before the mainline railway arrived, hence the very sharp curve to get the LNWR branch line under it as well as over a stream. A lot of slate activity was squeezed into this area and it makes for an interesting scout around the remains of bridges and earthworks where once lay tracks standard and narrow gauge tracks.

Potential slate waste traffic that never materialized. 66514 was one of a pair testing haulage and braking on the 1-in-90 incline outside Festiniog Tunnel on 17th November 2002...
WEB Diesels 60AA.jpg

Immaculate in Res livery, 47786 Roy Castle OBE is on the last lap into Blaenau Ffestiniog with 'The Great Britain' land cruise in the 1990's...
WEB Diesels 60A.jpg

31400, constructed from two damaged Class 31's, labours round the sharp curve leading away from the old Ffestiniog North station with the 14.18 to Llandudno on 16th august 1988. This was a DMU replacement service...
WEB Diesels 60D.jpg

47330 Amlwch Freighter was photographed dropping down from Festiniog Tunnel into Blaenau with a tunnel inspection train on a very dull 16th June 1990. At one time there were narrow gauge tracks behind the train and on the embankment just below the train as well as in the foreground...
WEB Diesels 60C.jpg

Last edited:

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
Blaenau reminds me of the old copper and silver mine workings in SW Colorado. There many of the disused sites have been left as a testament to the area’s history and the same applies to Wales’ slate industry. Sadly the coal industry In Wales has been buried in its valleys with little left to remind us of its importance.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Up until 1982, the terminus of this LNWR branch was Ffestiniog North. When steam ended on the branch in 1967, the Class 24's were favorites being more forgiving of being thrashed than the Class 25's. 24036 stands facing the North Western Hotel (since demolished) after arriving with an excursion from Oakham on 12th June 1977...

WEB Diesels 61B.jpg

24p36 and 25120 stand ready to head back to Llandudno Junction...
WEB Diesels 61A.jpg

Class 47 No. 47545 stands in North Station with the 1L02 Charter Tran from Euston on 28th April 1979 after being assisted up the line by Class 25 No. 25209. Connecting buses were taking passengers to Tanygrisiau, the terminus of the narrow gauge Festiniog Railway at that time. The connection to the GWR Bala branch used by trains to Trawsfynedd can be seen ahead of the Class 47...
WEB Diesels 61C.jpg

The sidings at Blaenau Ffestiniof North were still regularly used by trains and locos. This is Class 40 No.40030 Scythia on 27th September 1980...
WEB Diesels 61D.jpg

Shortly before it was deemed necessary to doble-head the nuclear flask trains from Trawsfynydd, 31270 is seen on the link between the LNWR and GWR station at Ffestiniog in the early morning of 5th November 1993...
WEB Diesels 60X.jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Class 57 No. 67030 departs downgrade out of Ffestiniog Central station on the link between the GWR and LNWR stations on 28th June 2005. The train was 'The Northern Belle' land cruise...

WEB Diesels 62A.jpg

ReS Class 47 No. 47653 climbing into Blaenau Central with the 'Manchester Executive Pullman' tour from Blackburn on 11th September 1993...
WEB Diesels 62E.jpg

This new interchange station opened to BR trains on 22nd March 1982. The footbridge was designed to divert passengers into the town, but the long walk up the steep approach put many folk off. Toilet facilities on the Festiniog Railway platform serving the narrow gauge were rudimentary. Red-band liveried Class 31 No. 31206 waits to leave with the 14.18 to Llandudno and was the final loco-hauled service train of the summer on 29th September 1989...
WEB Diesels 62C.jpg

The station was rebuilt during 1990 because local councilors wanted a better connecting service between BR and the FR. To this end, a level crossing was provided for the convenience of interchange passengers and invalids. This photo was taken in the autumn of 1990 with Class 150 No.150201 ticking over while a Festiniog train awaits departure. The footbridge was rebuilt later on; it's slope being replaced with conventional steps...
WEB Diesels 62D.jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Longsight Depot returned a Class 101 Metro-Camm DMU 3-car set to early 1960's green livery in 1994. Gwynedd County council paid to have it painted with the guarantee from Regional Railways that the unit would operate Conwy Valley services for the 1994 season. 'Daisy', as it became known, did some work on the Wrexham-Bidston line the following year where it regularly lost time and so the centre car was eventually removed. Pictured here reversing into the loop out of the way of a weedkilling train that was returning from Trawsfynedd on 25th August 1994...

WEB Diesels 62F.jpg

Steam returned to the Conwy Valley on 2nd May 1998, not very successfully in the beginning due to the nature of the Lledr Valley section, but thereafter BR used more powerful locos and shorter trains. Class K4 2-6-0 No. 61994 The Great Marquess, had been built to work the difficult West highland Line and had no difficulties working on the Conwy Valley line. Pictured at Blaenau Central beside Merddin Emrys, one of the renown Double-Fairlie narrow-gauge locomotives of the Festiniog Railway on 21st August 2012...
WEB Diesels 62B.jpg

With the demise of the Class 40's, Class 25's ruled for some years on the Conwy Valley. 25042 waits to leave for Trawsfynedd with an Inspection Saloon while 25313 had charge of the 6T91 Trawsfynedd to Sellafield nuclear flask train on 6th March 1985.
WEB Diesels 63C.jpg

LarryG

Western Thunderer
As part of the Festiniog Railway's 150th Anniversary Celebrations, Class 47 No. 47645 was named Robert F. Fairlie at a ceremony in Blaenau Ffestiniog on 1st May 1986. Pictured at the naming ceremony. I count myself privileged to have been invited to such events. I also remember fellow correspondent Addie Bellass eat my meal.... ;)
WEB Diesels 63A.jpg

Left to Right: Cyril Bleasdale LMR General Manager, John Routly Festiniog Railway Chairman and Peter Mountain Area Manager Chester....
WEB Diesels 63D.jpg

In 1993, the name Robert F. Fairlie was transferred to Class 37 no. 37422, resplendent in Regional Railways colours, at Blaenau during a FR steam gala...

WEB Diesels 63B.jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
The Conwy Valley hasn't generated non-passenger traffic for years although it has been a close thing. State waste and timber might have happened but for the 'over my dead body mentality' on the National Network, cost of upgrading and lack of grants. But all that was 18 years ago. Clas 31 No. 31207 is seen approaching Blaenau Ffestiniog where it will wait until signalled forward into the station ready for the run to Llasndudno Junction...

WEB Diesels 64A.jpg

When the decision was taken in 1993 to decommission Trawsfynydd Power Station, nuclear flask traffic commenced running again on 5th November following a 2-year gap. 31270 heads the very first train long the Traws line towards Ffestiniog. Much up grading had been done and becasue trains were propelled to Trawsfynydd, it was deemed necessary to use bogie vehicles until track had settled. SR 56283 and DS56295 built by the Southern Railway in 1936 worked this traffic for several months...
WEB Diesels 64B.jpg

Class 47 47144 is seen propelling its train to Maentwrog Road to collect gunpowder in the mid 1980's. This is the oldest portion of the GWR Bala Branch which was originally narrow gauge 1ft 11½inches. It was reopened as standard gauge on 10th September 1883...
WEB Diesels 64C.jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Two words summed up activity on the 'Trawsfynydd' branch; Very slim. Due to their early morning trip up the Conwy Valley, it was usually only possible to photograph trains returning from Trawsfynydd or Maentwrog Road. The running of constantly stopping inspection trains gave me the opportunity to capture some scenes I had always wanted. I got soaked to the vest while waiting to take this distant view of Class 31 No.31301 propelling a Saloon to Trawsfynydd on 12th October 1992. The rain-soaked slate buildings summed up Blaenau on a wet day...
WEB Diesels 64D.jpg

A year later and a glimpse of Class 31 No. 31238 hauling a bridge inspection train through Manod preparatory to upgrading of the line on 15th October 1993...
WEB Diesels 64DD.jpg

Another view of the bridge inspection train standing on Manod viaduct on 15th October. This shot involved a steep climb up rocks overlooking the main road, but it was worth it. My photo- diary was held over the lens to prevent flare seeing as I was looking right into the sun...
WEB Diesels 64F.jpg

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Ffestiniog Central Station had no additional sidings and those at North Station had fallen out of use. This dilemma surfaced when two loco hauled trains required run-round facilities at Ffestiniog on 22nd May 1993. The 1Z37 Manchester Executive Pullman was given permission to work beyond Blaenau onto Manod viaduct so that the following train, the 1Z28 "The Snowdonian" from Cleethorpes could use the loop. This effectively prevented the normal service train from running and so 'The Snowdonian' took its path and stopped at all stations on the return to Llandudno...
WEB Diesels 64E.jpg

Yet another of those lousy wet days up in Snowdonia. Class 25 No. 25042 with its steam-heating boiler on, passes Manod with an Inspection Saloon on 6th March 1985. This was one of my earliest pictures on the line, as it was seeing very little use at that time...
WEB Diesels 65A.jpg

In contrast, this was the very last train to traverse the Blaenau Ffestinog-Trawsfynydd line on 17th October 1998. The branch was scheduled for closure on 30th October. Hertfordshire Railtours ran its 'Trawsfynydd Lament' charter from Euston behind Class 56 No. 56108 with Class 47 No. 47785 Fiona Castle on the back. Seen passing Manod in pouring rain. Friend Alan Bullimore was in charge of proceedings and gave me his camera to photograph all the railmen at Trawsfynydd. I arrived home too late to see myself on HTV News!....
WEB Diesels 65B.jpg

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
It's rather strange to see these huge diesel electrics at Manod when in steam days there were only panniers and the like. Your photos do come across very well, typifying North Wales' industrial scenery (and the weather!)