LarryG's loco & coach WB (4mm/00)

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Yeh, superglue Simon.

I#ve never built a floor up on its own before and I anticipated bow, but it didn't happen. Everything came out of the spares box so it's cost me nothing other than the initial outlay for Bachmann coach and Comet sides. The floor was one of my standard floors cut to length and roughly 1mm removed from each side...
WEB LMS Parcels 8.jpg

The basic parts are finished. I will attend to the buffers tomorrow as I want to see how this coach lines up with others first...
WEB LMS Parcels 9.jpg

I seem to have dropped a goolie when placing my order. An 'All-Steel' set of sides arrived with the earlier narrow luggage doors. These doors also appeared on the first 'Stanier' versions but I can't say the model represents one because the numerous Torpedo vents represents one of the later batches. Ah well......
WEB LMS Parcels 10.jpg

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Job completed this morning with stepboards, door handles, door hoods, cast LMS buffers, and adapted bogies. Duckets and lower hinges still to add, then primer...
WEB LMS Parcels 11.jpg

The job worked out better than expected. Bachmann rubber corridor connections will be plugged in after painting the coach...
WEB LMS Parcels 12.jpg

I've run out of regulator boxes so some have been filed up from Plastikard. The reason for the bogie parcels vans is the mail order warehouse in Llanfair...
WEB LMS Parcels 14.jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Anther parcels van for the layout. It was given a coat of Halfords Upol Acid8 etch primer, a light coating of Halford Red Oxide Plastic Primer as undercoat, a spray coat of my own mix of Carmine Red, followed immediately by a waft over of Halfords Rosso Red to tint it. Roof ends, chassis and bogies were sprayed with Halfords Matt Black, followed immediately by a spray over of my weathering colour (slightly darker than rusty rails shade).

HMRS BR Insignia was applied followed by Halford Matt Lacquer. When dry, the body was lightly dusted (sprayed) with the weathering colour. Glazing was glued in with Evostik. Job done...

These coaches were 8' 6" width across the waist and narrower at the roof and floor. Solebars remained the same width apart as on other coaches though...
WEB LMS Parcels 15A.jpg

It has been numbered as a vehicle built in 1941 without horizontal beading at waist and above windows. Some had torpedo roof vents as here...
WEB LMS Parcels 15B.jpg

I opted for a van without the painted-on slate door panels. Might be Rule 1 on this livery :p...
WEB LMS Parcels 15C.jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Woke up this morning, got out of bed, took something for my head. It isn't like me to have headaches but a companion had given me a hug last weekend, so the usual suspicion started. I sat in the chair all morning watching the rain, but decided to work through it doing this LMS kitchen car for a friend. He's got two Hornby 'Coronation Scot' sets by misadventure and said he would like one set in BR blood & custard.

Having already resprayed one, I knew the silver streamline bands would show under the paint. Building new coaches in brass would have been a nuisance with having to re-install all the lighting, so I opted for replacing the plastic sides with etched brass ones. All done in my usual way as described in the past...

WEB LMS Kitchen 1.jpg
I firmly believe the Coronation Scot conversions got refurbished LNWR 8' Bulbiron bogies. Hornby fitted 8' wheelbase bogies, so I have slimmed down the hornguides as on the real bogies after taking the picture above...
WEB LMS Kitchen 1B.jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
The pics above were meant to be temporary but it's like an average day in Oldham here, so there's no chance of outdoor photography today. Proceeding with 'Coronation Scot' open first now.

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Ex.'Coronation Scot' 65' open first in BR blood & custard. This coach was treated differently from the kitchen car, as I couldn't see how I could incorporate the AirCon grill into etched brass sides. So the plastic coach sides were rubbed down to remove as much of the streamline stripes as possible.

The body was sprayed with grey plastic primer and rubbed down again. Then white primer, then BR cream. while the rest followed as normal. The sliding window vents were repainted from blue to cream with Precision Paints BR cream...
WEB LMS Open 1st 1.jpg

Last edited:

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
Larry

Surely BR's pies were in the kitchen, not outside the coach? When I built the 7mm Sidelines kitchen car (my first coach kit) I had the interior plan and it shows there was a corridor running alongside the kitchen with access across the corridor for loading/unloading when the corridor side was adjacent to the platform. There were , as far as I know, no windows between the corridor and the kitchen, and none was on the etch in the kit.

The kitchen car was also gas cooking and lighting only but had electric pass throughs at each end.

Pedantry is not one of my specialities, however!

Paul

LarryG

Western Thunderer
The pies was obviously intended as a "funny", but I assumed the photos of a real kitchen car was self-explanatory. Frosted corridor windows were not unique to the kitchen cars. The self-contained Dining Cars were the same around the kitchen area.

Open Diner First No.2 rubbed down and looking rather sorry for itself...
WEB LMS Open 1st 2.jpg

Last edited:

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
Hi Larry

My sense of humour has disappeared while suffering from an imminent cold. I feel a bit like that Open Diner this morning!

Paul

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Hi Larry

My sense of humour has disappeared while suffering from an imminent cold. I feel a bit like that Open Diner this morning!

Paul
I'm told there are lots of funny things going around Paul. I dont normally suffer from headaches, so maybe its fallout from the Covids or the Boris's.

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
Hi Larry

Coach lighting has become a real "bonus" these days but I am not sure I like the effect other than the under-the-table look you have shown us. My problem is the lighting on the 7mm Dapol coaches is too bright! I will probably turn them all off, though perhaps an inline resistor could work?

I do plan night time running eventually but there won't be any passenger coaches moving around Moor Street when the fruit and fish market trains arrive at 3 a.m.!

These 4mm scale coaches certainly give 7mm scale coaches a run for the money! Paul