7mm Layouts and Dioramas by Stephen Fay, including Pontycwm, Newton Mills and St Stephens Bank

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
Steve

May I ask which brand of water cranes you have used? The ground weathering looks superb, by the way! Reminds me of sneaking around Crewe North back when I was 13 years old. Yes, I got in under the railings 'round back and escaped from my chasers to live another day.

Paul

Compton castle

Western Thunderer
C525237B-A3A9-4626-8FC9-29E9CC608681.png BBA86008-02A0-487E-A901-FC12C85DFE3C.png Canton track work continues, whilst I await a delivery of MIG washes I’ve been working around other areas. Adding real coal here and there where tenders would be trimmed. Some Canton turns would see a loco usually a Castle or Brit work to London and return to Swansea on one tender full of coal. Some pictures I have show tenders piled very high! Of course this would need to be trimmed to make sure they was with in the loading gauge, some of the coal would inevitably end up on the floor.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Coal, a precious commodity in its day and I wonder how long it would have lain there. :)

I am enjoying watching this shed yard develop. Such places could be utterly depressing, but I respect good modelling. I liked walking down Lees Shed yard ~ it was kept tidy and was in the middle of a field. In contrast, a large shed like Newton Heath was draconian and far from a pleasure to work in. How about the remains of a crumpled wheelbarrow that some cad had left behind a loco at dusk.

Compton castle

Western Thunderer
4DF5CF82-9736-494F-83A8-438ED69D73BA.jpeg 845F1B5E-E922-4630-BE77-4F8393703F80.jpeg 3A5E96C2-F5A5-4D5B-B29A-5A50B2CFB149.jpeg AD42CB43-5123-4B7B-9BA2-2830378EE6AC.jpeg Thinned Matt 33 was applied last night and An application of black smoke powders sealed with Liquitex clear Matt spray this morning, I will add more here and there but that’s about it for a blow by blow account of how I do my shed areas.
If it was disposal roads I’d add more piled ash etc like I did on Kemys Fawr and maple road.
I hope some have found this useful.
The sheen is emphasised by the lighting it’s matter in reality.