7mm Layouts and Dioramas by Stephen Fay, including Pontycwm, Newton Mills and St Stephens Bank

Compton castle

Western Thunderer
Steve,

I am a bit late at the party. I love the greasy, oily sludge. It would be every environmental activists nightmare. Only one thing to consider: would there be actually any green growing below the bunker? There is no rain, the only water would be from leaks in the water tank.

Michael
Your are right, I have some colour pictures of a similar coaling stage and there is some growth underneath the coaling stage.
I have kept the growth more to weed type grass underneath with some bush growth on the edge where sunlight could penetrate the gloom.

Vulcan47

Hi Steve,

Very impressive and inspirational as is all your work; thanks for posting.

I like diesel hydraulics so would love to see a MM1 D600 ‘Warship’ and D6300 ‘Baby Warship’ mixed in with the steam; in early BR green livery of course. A Masterpiece Models ‘Western’ in appropriate livery would also look the part.

Best regards,

Matt.

Compton castle

Western Thunderer
Hi Steve,

Very impressive and inspirational as is all your work; thanks for posting.

I like diesel hydraulics so would love to see a MM1 D600 ‘Warship’ and D6300 ‘Baby Warship’ mixed in with the steam; in early BR green livery of course. A Masterpiece Models ‘Western’ in appropriate livery would also look the part.

Best regards,

Matt.
I agree Matt
A good friend of mine models the hydraulics and has both models from MM1 being built for him at the moment, he’s loaned me locos for photo shoots in the past so hopefully once Devonshire Bank is complete I’ll ask him for a loan to get some pictures of them to recreate some early 60’s scenes in south Devon.

Compton castle

Western Thunderer
Painting and weathering on the two tunnels for Devonshire Bank, Starting with Holloway tunnel after a coat of BR Bauxite I picked out various blocks in differing shades and left to dry over night, then a grey wash and a seal then on to the Matt black wash, seal again and then the dry brushing. Powders will be next. I’ll have to make up some wing walls from Slaters large dress stone.
Then Devonshire Tunnel, Cream mortar added to the engineers blue then a second coat of the various grey shades and seal then a grey wash, seal and a black wash and seal and some dry brushing, powders will be added as well.0BFE7FE8-6859-46B4-A1B0-72ABF2B26527.jpeg72C297ED-97BC-4C6F-864A-C984982D7920.jpeg26424D8A-60A4-4267-B288-55A201C6BB41.jpeg30CCCB7E-CF75-4412-B718-8B467A0EE8B9.png8EEA1BAB-35DF-4A46-B6B9-158A496E5DF2.jpeg3D54E913-27F1-41A6-BBEF-6D82C3B7F948.png

Compton castle

Western Thunderer
The Skytrex tunnel mouth comes with a pair of buttresses that you have to attach. They don’t marry up exactly and I didn’t fancy trying to sand the edges as I’ve no idea what type of resin they’ve used plus it wouldn’t really achieve much, I’ve used super glue where the joint was tight and no nails adhesive where it wasn’t. The joints at the top have been disguised with some growth, Mininatur Ivy on the left and Heki clump foliage on the right. This mouth will be set in a deep cutting so I will add more growth once I bed it in place. One of Jon Fitness super signals guards the entrance. I’m not sure if I will plant the signal here or slightly out of the cutting yet. I’ll get a better feel once I’ve made up the base boards.7786DD14-77A6-4DF7-9DE9-5AD03CA31AAD.png