LBSCR passenger tail lamp

Jon Nazareth

Western Thunderer
H ere is my G3 3D printed passenger tail lamp. The lens is a red glass bead and looking at it this closely, it's possible to see the hole that runs through the middle for threading etc. At a distance, the hole in the bead doesn't show up at all, which is a good thing. I bought some 3D printed lenses as I thought that I could paint the backs red and hey presto, the lens would look red, wrong. It looked red when looked at full view ( kind of) but, when viewed from an angle it showed clear. I tried to polish the lenses to make them show more colour in a clear polished state and I managed a fairly good finish on the right hand one but the left defied all attempts. It shows clearly the lines or layers put down when the thing was made. The red didn't show through after all but it was a lesson learnt. They would be okay if the lenses where to be clear but, I think that they should be red. Am I correct? I've posted a question on the LBSCR site to ask if anyone knows what the body colour should be red, white or black. Please chip in if you know the answer.

Jon

IMG_2874.JPG IMG_2876.JPG IMG_2884.JPG IMG_2885.JPG

Spitfire2865

Western Thunderer
You did a great job on that polishing.
Did you clean the lamp at all?

I believe the material is slightly pourous, so perhaps dying would work?
Or Tamiyas clear red acrylic paint?

Jon Nazareth

Western Thunderer
I've since found out that the lens would have been a clear one and when there was a need for a red one, a coloured slide was put in behind.
No, I haven't touched the lamp itself as yet.

Jon

Spitfire2865

Western Thunderer
Ahh, even easier then! either paint the back or actually put a coloured slide in.

The material prints with a wax support, so a bath in some warm soapy water and a good scrub should sort out the part ready for painting.