Level Crossings which used wooden boards

geoff_nicholls

Western Thunderer
I model pre-grouping, and have noticed several level crossings, e.g. Saxmundham, were laid using wooden planks. Were these actually sleepers? Were there any rules governing the use of wood? I would have thought it would take a bit of a battering if used on a busy crossing.

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Were these actually sleepers? Were there any rules governing the use of wood? I would have thought it would take a bit of a battering if used on a busy crossing.

I suspect not, more than likely they were specially cut and fixed hardwood timbers. In days gone by they used wooden blocks set in tar for road surfaces near tramlines. Sleepers may have been used for occupational crossings though.

A busy wooden crossing would not take that much of a heavy battering (how often today do you drive fast through a level crossing - some are worse than road humps) as the vehicles were lighter then and the traffic slow moving - probably non existent in the period you're modelling.

Level crossing specifications would have been published and I would refer to the historical society of the railway you're modelling as the may have further information. Network Rail today certainly have specifications for the various types of level crossing.

Timber crossings allowed easier access to the permanent way than those filled with tarmac and/or concrete. Level crossings today, where they exist, are now utilising specialized rubber inserts.

simond

Western Thunderer
In a previous job, I had the opportunity to visit the factories of Caterpillar, big yellow machines, and I questioned the wooden floors. Apparently all their factories are floored with wooden setts, which from memory were about 3" or 4" square, end grain upwards. I'm not sure which species are used, nor how they are fitted (likely bedded in tar/bitumen), but it seems that the advantages outweigh the costs. I understand they last well, and are quiet. Possibly less fatiguing than a concrete floor too.

On level crossings, particularly pre War, I expect that a fair amount of traffic was horse or horse-drawn. I could imagine that great iron-clad hooves might have some impact on timber, but given the need to lift the road surface regularly, to maintain the PW, I guess there's little alternative as iron or steel plates would be unacceptably slippery for horseshoes, possibly treacherous even for iron or rubber tyres, and horribly noisy too.

Best
Simon

Mike W

Western Thunderer
This is getting rather off-topic, but may be of interest:

Most LNWR engine cab floors were cast iron grids into which blocks of wood were located, end-grain upwards.

The floor of some shops in Wolverton Works was paved with the old segments of Mansell wheels. These lasted until very recently, in fact I wouldn't be surprised if they are still there in odd corners.

Both of which relate to wear but have no direct relevance at all to level crossings - sorry!

Mike