Prototype Littleton Colliery - Last day 3 Dec 1993 & Happy Christmas

Devonbelle

Western Thunderer
Happy Christmas all - I've rounded up the pick of shots I took on a sad day in December 21 years ago, I went to Littleton Colliery on 3rd December 1993 - it's last day as a working pit.

I thought I'd grab a few shots from road bridges, which crossed what was the last UK operational colliery branch line in use, instead however I was treated to a loco procured which gave me a tour of the whole system, courtesy of the pit surface superintendent - Brian Sutton. After doing the lines in the colliery vicinity, travelling in the cab of 6 wheel diesel shunter Western Enterprise - built by GEC, we went down the 4 mile branch to Penkridge Exchange Sidings, where we had a brew with the Bobby in the shunt frame. At Penkridge we caught up with sister engine, Western King, which had just stabled the very last outgoing coal train.

The driver of the loco I travelled was Ray Rushton who was a steam man, starting on steam at the colliery in the early 1960s, on manning wardle saddle tank, Littleton No.5 - which was working on the Avon Valley Railway in 1993 - where I was Ops Manager at the time.

Enjoy. Paul

Western King at Penkridge Exchange Sidings. The shunt frame in the background closed the following morning after the last coal train left. The loco was photographed from the running plate of sister engine Western Enterprise.

image.jpg

Approaching Penkridge, photo taken from Western Enterprise following sister engine. Just under the road bridge is the Wolverhampton to Stafford main line, running left to right behind the road bridge.
image.jpg

Mansty Farm Level Crossing, as the loco is about to head off, with me on board, back to the colliery, for the last time, with Driver Ray Rushton in the yellow vest. Bizarrely when we got back into the colliery engine shed (same one used for the steam locos) the driver shut down the loco, after sister loco had berthed and shut down and he said "**** it, it's all over" . I was very humbled.
image.jpg

Last shot, view of the colliery for the last time, as I walked back to Hednesford station to get the train home.
image.jpg

Last edited: