4mm Llanfair ....

LarryG

Western Thunderer
The resin chimney stacks from Model Railway Scenes are fab and I'll fit these to any future buildings...

WEB Chimney stacks..jpg

All the fireplaces in the station masters house are catered for here. The single stack had been raised at some time to aid draughting... I must have been drunk... :rolleyes: :D
WEB Station new 14A .jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
All structural work is complete and the whole building sprayed with Halfords Matt Lacquer, which also livens up the paintwork.....

WEB Station new 15B.jpg

The slate-clad wall has come out okay. Because the rear of the building has no public face or entrance, plain bargeboards must have been considered sufficient when the originals needed attention... :rolleyes:
WEB Station new 15A.jpg

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Finished with some photos in this mornings sun....

WEB Station new 16A.jpgWEB Station new 16B.jpg
Ladies lavatory accessed inside tea room while Gents is outside.....
WEB Station new 16C.jpg

Back of the station showing kitchen extension covering blocked up street entrance...
WEB Station new 16D.jpg

Upstairs bathroom & toilet conversion with stink pipe....
WEB Station new 16E.jpg

Temporarily in position showing lighter red brickwork than used on earlier buildings....
WEB Station new 16G.jpg

I had overlooked ticket office and porters room. Now sorted.....
WEB Station new 17B.jpg
web-station-new-17b-jpg.212431

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Job's stopped again. I had hopes of converting a brick signalbox into a part wooden box before throwing in the towel. Anyway, a different firm has kindly agreed to produce me a RH version of one of its signal boxes so I am confident something positive will come out of this. I managed to produce this RH version from a LH kit in 7mm scale, which gives an idea of what I am aiming to produce in 4mm.
WEB Llanfair Box 10B.jpg

LarryG

Western Thunderer
While awaiting a signalbox kit, I decided to spruce up a second-hand Small Prairie by rubbing off the original insignia, spraying it lightly with Halfords Satin Black and affixing large pre-1956 totems, varnished with Halfords Satin Lacquer.

The totem are 9mm high off Methfix sheet B3, replaced in later years by BR Sheet 14. Transfers on the latter sheet were slightly larger with the large BR totem coming out at 10mm high.

I intend making up a new smokebox number plate. 4560 worked on the Cambrian section in BR days...
WEB GWR 4560 1.jpg

Quintus

Western Thunderer
If I may comment , not wishing to pre empt Larry's reply, I had a very bad experience spraying varnish from an aerosol onto a recently completed 7mm coach side, which lifted the paint, resulting in a terrible mess. I had sprayed prescision paint with my airbrush, and thought acrylic varnish would be OK. I came to the conclusion that it was the propellant in the aerosol that caused the problem rather than the varnish itself.
regards
Mike

daifly

Western Thunderer
While awaiting a signalbox kit, I decided to spruce up a second-hand Small Prairie by rubbing off the original insignia, spraying it lightly with Halfords Satin Black and affixing large pre-1956 totems, varnished with Halfords Satin Lacquer.

The totem are 9mm high off Methfix sheet B3, replaced in later years by BR Sheet 14. Transfers on the latter sheet were slightly larger with the large BR totem coming out at 10mm high.

I intend making up a new smokebox number plate. 4560 worked on the Cambrian section in BR days...
View attachment 213649
I think we've discussed totem sizes before.

4560 nr Afon Wen 1956 PC.jpeg
4560 near Afon Wen 1956 - photographer unknown

'Nuff said!

Dave

sjp23480

If I may comment , not wishing to pre empt Larry's reply, I had a very bad experience spraying varnish from an aerosol onto a recently completed 7mm coach side, which lifted the paint, resulting in a terrible mess. I had sprayed prescision paint with my airbrush, and thought acrylic varnish would be OK. I came to the conclusion that it was the propellant in the aerosol that caused the problem rather than the varnish itself.
regards
Mike
Mike (@Quintus)

This is also my experience of using Halfords Satin lacquer, I also found the nozzle (at least the one I have) tends to spatter and delivers the lacquer in more of a stream than a fine mist.

Should I persevere and buy another can from Halfords and try again?

Stephen

PhilH

Western Thunderer
regards
Mike

Is the problem that while enamel might be touch dry fairly quickly it takes days for the solvents to evaporate fully, and spraying acrylic before this process is completed effectively seals the solvent in and causes the problem ?
Note I put this as a query rather than a statement and confirmation or otherwise would be helpful.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Been tied up with non-railway matters, so this is the first visit to WT for a few days.

Halfords Acrylic Varnish aerosols: I used the satin varnish straight from the can on the 45xx loco, but it was on top of Halfords satin black anyway. I have not had any problems on top of enamel paint, but enamel was only on the running plate. I often decant the varnish into a spraygun for a finer spray when spraying 4mm scale locomotives. Always best to test things beforehand.

diafly, thanks for uploading the picture of 4560. Sods law that it carried the early small BR totem. My mistake, so the loco will have to carry a different number now.

EDIT: I have since come across three photos of black 4560 with small totem. So I have an alternative 'Cambrian' choice of 4549 with large totems.

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
I can imagine the anguish. I've used cellulose since the early 1960's, mainly for speed. Anyone remember the 'Celspray' spraygun? It was like a scent bottle with a hand activated bulb. I once sprayed 50 Hornby TT gauge coaches for George Mellor (GEM) using the darn thing. You should have seen the sags across my hand. By 1970 I was using a DeVilbis Type M miniature spraygun while dad built me a compressor.