4mm Llanfair ....

LarryG

Western Thunderer
I had intended uploading these after making the tea but I was waylaid. A quiet spell. The poor lasercut steps got wrecked so an SOS to Mr.Brush is called for in the hope there is a 3D substitute available...
WEB Llanfair Rd 26F.jpg

I am working at this end and plan to move forward down the layout with scenery until it is finished...
WEB Llanfair Rd 26E.jpg

Summers evening shadows. Goods shed now bedded in...
WEB Llanfair Rd 26G.jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Minor embankment time. I sawed a length of 2" x 1" timber down its middle ot give two lats that were then nailed down to the baseboard...

WEB Llanfair Rd 27A.jpg

A strip of grass Vinyl matt was glued to the wood with Evostik Impact....
WEB Llanfair Rd 27B.jpg

Old kitchen roll was stuffed under it for padding....
WEB Llanfair Rd 27C.jpg

The other edge of the vinyl matt was then glued to the baseboard and formed to shape with a heat gun...
WEB Llanfair Rd 27D.jpg

Last edited:

John Duffy

Western Thunderer
Just a small point Larry, but - certainly in this part of the world - the timbers on the fence behind the weighbridge would be vertical. The straps to hold them would follow the angle of the land, but the spars themselves would be plumb. (As very roughly demonstrated here, on Rosehearty) [I could have sworn they were vertical!

P1015977.JPG

All the best

John

LarryG

Western Thunderer
The fencing on the sloping ground is designed for a platform ramp. Okay, so my embankment is slightly steeper than a platform ramp. I'll have to see id the slope of the embankment can be reduced to match the fencing.

Last edited:

michael mott

Western Thunderer
Wow you painted up the weighbridge hut pretty fast, and it looks great. I really likes the sublty of the B&W shot earlier.

Michael

Gismorail

Western Thunderer
Fantastic modelling Larry as is to be expected of course :D…..perspective and depth of field are all spot on and I particularly like the cottages down the road in the distance absolutely superb:)

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Two things uppermost in my mind are operating practices and aesthetics and so when the two conflict, the old braincells get to work finding a workaround. I have mentioned that the 'Wearamak' raincoat manufacturing company in Llanfair ship their wares by rail on a daily basis. My initial thoughts were a loading platform attached to the good shed so that the Wearamak boxes could be weighed, labelled and invoiced before loading on a railway coach.

Behind the sliding door was an opening with a vertical metal shutter. With the door slide across the main entrance, a specially shaped metal insert was put in the groove so give workers and platform trolleys a smooth and safe passage from shed to platform...

WEB Llanfair Rd 30B.jpg
But when it was completed, it jarred aesthetically and did not look right....
WEB LLanfair Rd 30A.jpg

...And so to Plan B. The BR Passenger parcels van collects the wares at the Wearamak factory and, on arrival at the goods yard, is weighed less the weight of the road van. The weight is then phoned through to the goods shed office so they can prepare labels and invoice....
WEB Llanfair Rd 30E.jpg

The road van then waits at the loading bay for a runner to come up with the labels etc...
WEB Llanfair Rd 30C.jpg

Loading the awaiting parcels coach before it is attached to the first available passenger train...
WEB Llanfair Rd 30D.jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Built Wills coal staithe and distressed some of it. It was then sprayed sleeper grime and very dark grey colours. Same with the ground. Then the ground was messed around a bit making road vehicles marks etc with an electric sander. Nothing is bedded in during the trial......
WEB Llanfair Rd 31B.jpg

At this point I was still undecided where to position the coal office. The Austin coal lorry was disassembled and the cab sprayed with matt lacquer while the chassis was given a dusting of sleeper grime. Chrome decorative strips added to 'radiator'...
WEB Llanfair Rd 31D.jpg

In the end, the coal office was placed beside the weighbridge, convenient for customers to order coal. ..
WEB Llanfair Rd 31F.jpg

Last edited: