Locomotive design-Help

Western Thunderer
As a GE society member, I can report the last journal had the usual comprehensive and through survey of the Stratford works shunters, of which the coffee pot was one. I am fairly sure the journals will have various articles on them going way back, you can buy all the journals on DVD once a member.

I hadn't realised the first examples were built by Neilsen, then Stratford copied the design for the rest, but made various design changes, so there isn't a standard coffee pot it seems.

The GE journals are a delight to read as the graphic design is flawless BTW.
Tony

Spitfire2865

Western Thunderer
Well Uh-oh!
Has anyone built a loco with outside cylinders? If so, how does one make the clearances work?
By my calculations, I have 4.75mm between wheel FACE (considering minimum thickness) and Slidebars, thats not counting wheel boss, crosshead, or wheel slop.
Now I could move the cylinders out to an unprototypical distance, I could fudge the slidebar size, or some other workaround Im not familiar with. solidworks 1_24_18.png
Help!

JimG

Western Thunderer
Now I could move the cylinders out to an unprototypical distance, I could fudge the slidebar size, or some other workaround Im not familiar with. View attachment 83374
Help!

The Nielsen tank loco which the Caledonian adopted and copied - like the GER and the "Coffee Pot" :) - had thinner driving wbeels of 4.75" width over the tyres to give clearance behind the slide bars. It could be that the Coffee Pot tank, from the same builder about the same time, had similar tyres.

NeilsenClearance.jpg

The Caledonian tank had a single slide bar

LMS_CR_0-4-0ST_56039_Whiteinch_1.9.58_edited-2.jpg

...but I suspect the problem would have been the same in the double slidebar version.

I made a set of wheels for someone who was going to build a Caledonian Neilsen tank and he did ask me for the narrower wheels to help out. :)

Jim.