Lord and Butler, Cardiff.

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Morning all,

Lord and Butler in Cardiff have acquired a private collection consisting of a considerable number of kit built locos, estiated to be in the region of some 600+locos and approximately 80 unbuilt kits of various descriptions. Most of the kits have the required wheels, motors and gears.
All are 4mm.The vast majority are 00 gauge. A small number( not many ) are EM.

The locos/kits were purchased by the owner then handed over to be built and painted on his behalf and then displayed as part of his collection.
Regretably, he has now had to sell them for reasons that are not right and proper to disclose hereon.

As an example, I am advised that there are somewhere in the region of 200 Southern locos alone.

Most of these locos are finished in either pre-grouping or grouping liveries. There are a handful in BR livery. I visited a few days ago now and there are locos from The Caledonian, Midland, L&NWR, L&Y, GWR, L&SWR, LB&SCR, Highland, SECR to name but a few. Some are in early grouping livery others in full pre-grouping finery. The quality of the finish varies but generally these are well presented to exquisite.
I believe that L&B are updating their website but this will take time. The locos are still being checked as I am told very few have actually moved from their display cases for many years prior to the acquisition by L&B.

The shop have lists but these are constantly being updated as stock appears or is sold. Therefore, I would recommend a call to the shop to enquire into what is available if you are interested.
Here are a few photos of my own locos purchased recently from this collection.

Chivers Finelines EX -LSWR 0330ST

20220104_123611-01.jpeg

20220104_125504-01.jpeg

Craftsman brass (?) EX L&SWR T1 0.4.4T

20220104_125437-03.jpeg

20220104_125445-01-01.jpeg

20220104_125457-01.jpeg

SEF EX-LB&SCR D1 0.4.2T

20211229_144514-01.jpeg

20211229_144355-01.jpeg

20211230_084928-01.jpeg

Regarding myself, I have no connection to L&B other than being a satisfied customer but have undertaken to raise awareness of these locos.

What I can say is that in respect of my locos above, I am more than happy to have picked these up.

However, whilst they are all runners, they all require further tweaking to improve said running. Adjustment of gear mesh, pickips and in the case of the T1, the back to backs need a adjusting as it's not coping too well with PECO pointwork.
But for me, they are a good place to start.

There are some oddities in there, in particular the Highland locos which include what I think are Skye Bogies along with later 4.6.0 tender locos etc.

Pricing is sensible, in many cases little mire than an eqivalent RTR model.

Postage will be something to discuss at first hand with the shop. They are reluctant for these locos to be bounced around by couriers and I am advised that the preference is for callers to the shop to collect.

I do have lists myself that I can pass on but I am aware that they are already out of date wuth a number of the GWR locos already having been sold.

Rob.

Last edited: