Manchester Victoria 1967

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
A nicely made film, Col, with actually a story line. I wish I'd kept all my notes! It rather points up why the steam engine had to go, doesn't it?

Also a number of those shunting moves were done at quite a lick. Slow speed running on our models is, of course, important but insisting that every shunting move should be at 2mph is simply not prototypical.

Brian

Osgood

Western Thunderer
Two observations - barely a tender emblem to be seen anywhere, and the opposite of a normal boiler / smokebox finish (possibly a fresh repair?):
Smokebox.jpg

King Crab

Western Thunderer
Manchester Victoria / Exchange was a fabulously atmospheric place in the 60's! The climb to Red Bank sidings was often a trial for engines when setting off from a standing start.

I was lucky lucky enough a couple of times to beg a ride to the carriage sidings, and share beans on toast with the crew....

Peter

Attachments

• Man.Vic.5MT.jpg
    Man.Vic.5MT.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 15
  • ManVic.01.jpg
    ManVic.01.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 14
  • Man.Vic.1.1.jpg
    Man.Vic.1.1.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 16
  • Man.Vic.Bury.jpg
    Man.Vic.Bury.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 16

Lancastrian

Western Thunderer
Ah...Man Vic. Many a Saturday spent spotting there with friends in the late 70's early 80's. Occasionally we'd head over to Piccadilly for a few hours as well. Good times.

Ian

David Mylchreest

Would that be to replace burnt off paint, on a regular basis, Larry?
I think that this is true, but would painters have been dispatched from Crewe/Derby to do the job? If not, and the job was done by shed staff, I'm thinking that the demarcation issues would have made it's implementation a pain!
I too enjoyed Exchange/Victoria in the fifties/sixties, we're fortunate that so many enthusiasts filmed the scene. I used to make it most Saturday afternoons and after the jazz club on Long Millgate closed on Saturday/Sunday nights. Nice memories.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Smokeboxes got burned and so along came a bloke with a pot of special paint.

On loose coupled's, I pinned the brakes down before heading down to Vic, but it was a trial unpinning them on the move at the bottom. Also worked a parcels with an L&Y 0-6-0 up the grade. Despite a run at it and the pilot man jumping off in Victoria, we only just made it to Miles Platting. The problem was a smokebox full of ash, which I shovelled out in Ashton; something I should have done before leaving Oldham. When I next booked on, the loco was out of use with a badly burned smokebox & door.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
I read that there was quite a rivalry between Lees and Newton Heath Larry, was that your experience?
I know it existed because Newton Heath was L&Y and that shed kept sending its rubbish to Lees. All their 3F L&Y 0-6-0's ended up at Lees in 1961, resulting in probably the biggest concentration of this class. Rather than complain to Newton Heath, the fitters at Lees were adept at keeping it's steeds going, which couldn't have been easy when one considers the Fowler 2-6-2T's and 0-8-0's were the LMS's worst designs.