Martin Finney

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
Dammit.
And with Gladiator going too that means a fair chunk of my disposable income is going to have to go on kits in the next 12 months.
A sign of the average age of the model railway population I guess.
It must also be acknowledged that as modellers we owe Martin a lot. At the time he started there were few reasonable kits on the market and even now they're amongst the very best.
I for one will wish him a long and happy retirement and hope to be able to add to his retirement fund during the next few months!
Steph

Compton castle

Western Thunderer
Might have to get a large Prarie off him before he retires, the 47xx is available form David andrews so I'm not worried about that one. Could do with a Hall as well.
I hope both these kit ranges find a new home or the hobby will be worse off with out them

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
I'd love a 47xx, but like you say DA has one.. But the large prairie is on the list too as 4141 is my regular engine at the Epping Ongar..!

JB.

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
I'd like to be able to take on the Finney and ex-Northstar 7mm ranges; but I can't see I'll be in a position to do it in the next year or two.
Steph

Dan Randall

Western Thunderer
Western Thunder Consortium.....

Oddly enough, I was thinking a WT consortium to produce ready to run BR Mk1 coaches would be nice. The 4mm scale Bachmann ones are excellent and much as I enjoy building kits, something along those lines would be a huge time saver. It's all well and good Masterpiece, Loveless etc., banging out locos that cost thousands of pounds (that only a few people can afford), but what about some rolling stock to the same sort of quality, that only costs a few hundred?

It's just a pipe dream I guess?

Regards

Dan

Dan Randall

Western Thunderer
Dan,
No reason it should be, I'm on good speaking terms with a r-t-r producer and got a little way down the path of producing 0-gauge Bulleid carriages. The costs might not be as much as you think...
Steph

That's very interesting Steph. After all, if the likes of Hattons, Kernow etc., can commission Dapol, Bachmann or whoever to produce 4mm stuff exclusively for them, it certainly ought to be possible in 7mm.

Regards

Dan

alcazar

How would we get it together?

On my side, I still want/need an A4, V2 and a B1...Finney, Finney and Gladiator......plus a WD 2-8-0 Ah well.

Recently tried to purchase a B1 from Tower. They had one in stock.
I wanted them to sell it me and me pick it up at Telford. They declined, saying they didn't want to hold it two months when they could sell to someone else...even though I was offering full payment. Not helpful.

I now don't feel like buying from them at all. Yet Gladiator has none in stock. You can't win.

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Recently tried to purchase a B1 from Tower.

Have you tried John Riley at Finescale Brass? He is also at Telford.

cheers

Mike

S

SteveO

Is the WT Consortium a serious proposition? I'm quite interested but would rather not go it alone, due to an UTTER lack of experience.

iploffy

OC Blue Brigade
Count me in too. So long as it's all legally drawn up and the general wants are taken into consideration to be in a position to make the concern justifiable in a financial way (self perpetuating, paying get for itself) there is no reason why it can't be done.

S

SteveO

What are the Gladiator kits like? I quite like some of their accessory castings but I've no experience of their kits.

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
What are the Gladiator kits like? I quite like some of their accessory castings but I've no experience of their kits.

Mostly pretty good.
They come from various sources; Newbold, Andrews, Northstar, Fourtrack, etc; but most are buildable. Quality varies between good (accurate and buildable - Fourtrack) through to excellent (Northstar Schools, anyone? )
Steph

S

SteveO

All in all then, both ranges worth preserving. Something to think about for all those interested.

I have an option on buying a retired range of diesel kits, but they would be at the mongrel end of the spectrum - which fit in quite nicely with my Right Price kits!