7mm Mickoo's Commercial Workbench

SimonT

Western Thunderer
I don't know of this small brace that you talk of! Never seen anything other the two sets of arms to the A frame. The A frame is the thing that differs between the classes. This was the underside of 2815.
Pony Truck 1.jpg
Pony Truck Pivot 1.jpg
Both taken looking forward, I've no idea why I didn't take one looking back from the pony truck axle.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
I don't know of this small brace that you talk of! Never seen anything other the two sets of arms to the A frame. The A frame is the thing that differs between the classes. This was the underside of 2815.
View attachment 141672
View attachment 141673
Both taken looking forward, I've no idea why I didn't take one looking back from the pony truck axle.
Because you didn't think you needed too :))

I took over 500 on the B1 and still missed bits....:rant:

Sorry I meant 47xx, you can just see them on the GA.

2021-04-11 16_45_43-47xx GA.jpeg - ACDSee 32 v2.22.jpg

The brace links the upper and lower arms mid length, and there in probably lies the answer :rolleyes:.

The 47xx has two full length arms on the A frame, the previous we have been discussing have a lower full length and an upper half length arm, therefore, there should be no extra brace as seen in the San Pareil pony A frame which does not have two full length arms.

The second picture is better it shows plate work going up and over the pivot bearing, the 72xx has two full width plates, one above and one below the bearing though that might be a preservation thing.

SimonT

Western Thunderer
Check your e-mails! I sent you the Swindon Frame Plan. From the work I did for the pony truck I think that only the 47 had those braces.

The Swindon Sections Drawing for the 72XX shows a two plate arrangement to the pony truck pivot. I've not yet tried to break out the plan image of each plate. I suspect they are just rectangles with the front elevation showing a long fillet to the end plates.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Check your e-mails! I sent you the Swindon Frame Plan. From the work I did for the pony truck I think that only the 47 had those braces.

The Swindon Sections Drawing for the 72XX shows a two plate arrangement to the pony truck pivot. I've not yet tried to break out the plan image of each plate. I suspect they are just rectangles with the front elevation showing a long fillet to the end plates.
Simon,

Cheers, no mail arrived yet......confused dot com.....

Here's a crop from the facebook 7200 restoration page, their copyright.

57076270_2419355661410520_2549779177188360192_n.jpg

As you deduced, two simple planks trapping the bearing.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Quick update on the Fowler 4F which came back from paint the other day.

A little time assembling it and we now have a running set up. I've opted for tender pick ups as the engine midships is rather exposed and pipck ups would mar the visuals.

Pick ups are thin phosphor bronze wire attached to copper clad insulated blocks, the blocks are linked with solid brass wire, this stops the insulated blocks twisting when the securing screw is tightened and pulling the wipers off the rims. The securing screws also hold down a Plasticard slab onto which I've glued lead strips, the centre bolt is a back up fixing through the whole lot (but not the tender chassis) in case the glue fails and the weight goes bouncing around inside the tender.

Connection between the two is via a micro plug, I'll paint these and the wires black at the end to hide them a little better.

I'm just waiting for the correct couplings to arrive and then the two bodies can be fitted, leaving only glazing and back head completion and fitting.

IMG_9883.jpg

IMG_9884.jpg

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Little more work on the WS 72xx. The rear end brake rods need finishing once the weigh shaft and 3D printed bearings go in.

The footplate and raised area above the cylinders is new, the front deck is from the kit, watch out as it's a bit long so you need to trim it a bit, from the rear is the best but not too much as the holes for the small hand rails won't line up with the front steps.

I found the rear valance extensions too short by about 4 mm, the joint is a half etched lap joint so they were soldered up the right length and a thin flat plate soldered into the half etch gap and dressed smooth.

I couldn't find any rear guard irons in the etches but it's no trouble to whip two new ones up. The cylinder wrappers were replaced with thinner 10 thou ones, easier to form to shape that's all.

The slide bars come affixed to the rear piston cover and stuffing gland, the piston rod is 2 mm but the hole is 2.3 mm, I drilled it out to 2.5 and sleeved it with thin bore brass tube.

Pressure relief valves are on their way (not supplied in the kit as far as I can see) and will go in the pre drilled holes front and rear.

I think the turned piston and valve covers are generic, my front piston covers were much too big so needed turning down in the lathe, same for the front tail rod cover, it's too long and fouls the front foot plate as it drops down, took 3 mm and smoothed the edges and all good.

Watch the rocker arm covers they actually cut into the front splasher quite a bit, a small detail easily missed. The castings are to scale. but due to the narrower frames they don't meet the frame extension above the footplate to match, one of those modelling compromises.

Only the front splasher is neat and formed, even then only the front 3/5 is visible once the tanks go on. The rest are completely hidden from above so no need to make them look neat.

Revised 3D printed front sand boxes now fitted, width adjusted to suit narrower frames and filler lids changed to suit 72xx.

IMG_9900.jpg

IMG_9901.jpg

IMG_9902.jpg

IMG_9903.jpg

IMG_9904.jpg

IMG_9905.jpg

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Not a productive day today, a lot of work and little to show for it.

The motion bracket wasn't doing it for me I'm afraid. I could have added the between frame plate work and messed around with the splasher openings but I reasoned a new one would be better.

There's no detail to the rear face as the tank front is mere inches away, basically that gap between the motion plate and sand boxes is all you see between the frames.

Next up will be the 3D printed smokebox saddle as I'll probably make a right mess of the four plates that need to be soldered square in the kit.

IMG_9908.jpg

IMG_9909.jpg

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Slow week this week on the WS 72xx, mostly centred around the smokebox saddle print and associated kettle bits. I could of used an adhesive but preferred a mechanical backup fixing as well.

The real saddle is two half castings bolted together, cover plates are added front, rear and both sides and held in place with fixings, printing the saddle allows these to be added to give some relief to the otherwise blank faces. There's a also the start of the flare at the base which on the real engine passes below the footplate and outward to meet the frames. It's very subtle but once you know....well it has to be added doesn't it :D

The smokebox front is not fitted and the prongs inside will get bent over when it's all fitted up, a dab of solder on each one whilst compressing the whole assembly will lock it all in place and close up any small gaps. I've ordered some micro bolts for the stay bolt plates, punched rivets here were not going to really pass muster.

IMG_9916.jpg

IMG_9917.jpg

IMG_9918.jpg

IMG_9919.jpg

simond

Western Thunderer
I can see that being a popular addition to the spares & upgrades parts market.

I guess it begs the question of prototypical front end, with two half-saddle with cylinder & valve castings, and bar frames. The castings would be no problem, but then you’d have to make the cladding to cover the joint., I guess.

you did see I finally scanned those pages...?
S

3 LINK

Western Thunderer
Reference the smoke box saddle, I built a 42xx a few years ago from a certain kit supplier and the white metal casting was terrible, true to their word they sent me another, actually another 3 in fact and none of them were any good. I suppose they sent 3 hoping that I would settle for the best out of three! Anyhow I ended up making my own in the end from scrap etch and some minuscule nuts and bolts from scale hardware, and to be honest it looked great. The person who now owns the 42xx has probably never noticed the “ refinement “ even though the kit came from his company in the first place ;) :D.

Martyn.

Dave Holt

Western Thunderer
I must say, the 3D printed parts you've created for this (and other recent models) really do look good and are obviously an excellent way of making awkward shaped solid items, given the software skills to draw them in the first place. Another superb and inspiring model in the offing.
Not being a Western fan, I can't say I've ever paid much attention to these locos, but shots of the chassis bring home just how long these tank engines were. The uneven spacing of the coupled axles is also very prominent and rather unusual to my eyes.
Dave.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
I now know why I learned CAD and etches, scratch building is bleeding hard work :eek:

First though, a clarification from my last post concerning the front stay pads, lo and behold there are some cast ones in the kit which I failed to notice. Sadly though they just do not quite fit in the etched pocket on the front footplate; maybe my etch was over etched as there's a small gap around the casting and recess. I've kept my plates and will add the bolt heads in due course.

The new tank sides were a mare to get right, the first one took several attempts, the second a breeze as I had my eye in. A new tank top was required as well to fit the new sides. The cab front was retained from the kit but thickened on the outside of the spectacle plates.

The firebox top and vents are just placed in position, there's a small gap between the firebox and the boiler which can be covered by the clothing strap; my concern however, is the side profile. The firebox top should slope back toward the cab a bit, at the moment it's perfectly flat.

If I take some off the base at the rear then that will make the rear face non vertical, which means that the flange plate won't touch the cab near the bottom, ergo they will all have to come off the casting and new ones added. The alternative option is a whole new firebox, either formed brass with 3D print front end and shoulders, or, a whole new 3D one. I'll ponder that over a glass of wine or two :cool:

IMG_9920.jpg

IMG_9921.jpg

IMG_9923.jpg

IMG_9925.jpg

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
And when I "ponder things over a glass of wine or two" I fall asleep and perchance to dream. Been doing a lot of that recently with the Motor House foundation work!

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Its turning into an impressive beast! I've always admired these big tanks.

Tony
It's massive, easily near the same mass as a Pacific engine, of all the GWR tanks, the 72xx is the only one that ticks any of my boxes.