1/32 Milk Siphon - O2

Dave Bowden

Western Thunderer
In the middle of last week the latest edition of my G1MRA Newsletter and Journal arrived.
and low and behold there were some GWR Coaches and a wagon for sale. For those of you in G1MRA will have seen the sales and wants page and know what I'm talking about.

So there were 2 passenger luggage brake vans either K14 or K16 and 1 wagon listed as a 6 wheel closed cattle wagon. I rang the person up for more details and he emailed me some photos. It turned out the cattle wagon was in fact a 6 wh Milk Siphon. He was selling them from the estate of his late father.

I decided to buy the Milk Siphon after getting him to measure it to find out what gauge it was and to find it was a 1/32 scale model also an etched brass model in 1/32 for £75 is a bargain!.

So here's three of the photos I received after I'd purchased the model.
Milk Siphon_1.jpg
Milk Siphon_2.jpg
Milk Siphon_4.jpg

Last edited:

Dave Bowden

Western Thunderer
This arrived in the post on Monday nice and secure packing. When I finally got the model on my work bench I found it was put together with a mixture of glue and solder and in places it was not joined up. The roof was glued on with not much overhang at one end and too much at the other.

So the first thing I did was to heat the glue up with my solder station to soften up the glue so I could separate it from the body. This took quite some time as it was glued in eight different places. I managed finally to remove it with no damage. I then had to remove all the glue from the points on the body so I thought it would be better to strip it down the the chassis especially as it was screwed together with 10ba screws.

So here's photos of the model stripped down.

Milk Siphon 02_2.jpg

What can now be seen is that this model was make and produced by Peter Hicks, giving the diagram of an O 2 and the scale.
I then remembered one of these being sold in the G1MRS N & J some years ago. What I didn't know was that he lived in Wittlesey Cambs.

Peter Hicks died in May 2016 and D Mackay told me he has been selling his G1 rolling stock for some time.

Milk Siphon 02_1.jpg

Today I finished re-fitting the bottom step boards as previously two of the pads that secure it to the chassis had broken off. The next stage will to put it through the Ultra Sonic cleaner.

Here is a list of what the model still requires to complete the build.
Axle Boxes and Springs, Vacuum Pipes and one screw link coupling and any brake gear I can source to use.

More to come as and when I have made more progress.

Dave

David Halfpenny

Western Thunderer
It's great to know the rag works, Dave :)
We post the content off to the printers in hope, and often wonder what has become of it.

Incidentally, the centrefold feature this Issue was 10 of Geoff Holt's LNWR models built for Pete Waterman.
WT member John Taylor took great care to ensure they printed as a 4-page pull-out for those who want to drool privately after they've finished with the rest of the mag.

Though who would want to part with 40 pages of G1 modelling?

Dave Bowden

Western Thunderer
It's great to know the rag works, Dave :)
We post the content off to the printers in hope, and often wonder what has become of it.

Incidentally, the centrefold feature this Issue was 10 of Geoff Holt's LNWR models built for Pete Waterman.
WT member John Taylor took great care to ensure they printed as a 4-page pull-out for those who want to drool privately after they've finished with the rest of the mag.

Though who would want to part with 40 pages of G1 modelling?
Thanks David, and just to let you know I purchased a pair of the Maun parallel spring return pliers, and I’ve used them several times on this model.
Dave

Dave Bowden

Western Thunderer
Has anyone on WT bought a Peter Hicks milk Siphon in the past as I would like a copy of the instructions if possible please.

Dave

Last edited:

Michael Osborne

Western Thunderer
There are several Geoff Holt's loco's from the Waterman collection on Ellis Clarke web site for sale at quite reasonable prices.
If they had been 3/8"" scale instead of 10mm I might have been tempted to have the coal engine.

Dave Bowden

Western Thunderer
Hi all
here's the latest updates to the 04 MS. The chassis has now been painted satin black, new brass wheel bearing have had to be made (by a friend of mine as I don't have a lathe) with a longer top hat going through the W iron. Buffers cleaned up and treated with BC (Birchwood Casey) Wheels fitted and it now run like a dream.

Milk Siphon 02_3.jpg
Milk Siphon 02_4.jpg
Milk Siphon 02_5.jpg

The body has not been painted yet, I will have to wait for a period of warm weather maybe.

Dave