Missenden Railway Modellers return to the Abbey – Autumn Modelling Weekend 8-10 October

Gilbert

Western Thunderer
We are now planning to return for a modelling weekend at Missenden for the first time since March 2020.

Booking is now open and over half the places have gone. We currently have spaces available on all courses, however some are filling up faster than others. There are still some bedrooms left at the Abbey so if you want to stay on site and fully enjoy the social side of a Missenden weekend, don’t leave it too late to book.

Autumn Weekend – Missenden Railway Modellers

The full list of courses is:

• 4mm Locomotive Kit construction - Tony Gee and Jerry Clifford
  • 7mm Locomotive Kit construction - Kevin Wilson
  • Introduction to DCC - Pete Brownlow
  • Track Building and Laying - Norman Solomon
  • Improving Ready To Run Rolling Stock & Kits - Karl Crowther
  • Weathering - Andrew Thompson and Chris Hopper

There are some changes for 2021

There is an exciting new course from Karl Crowther - Improving RTR Models & Kits. If you have ever wondered how to improve that old stock you picked up as a bargain to today's RTR standards, you want to improve the looks or running qualities of that humble wagon kit or how to convert an existing model into that rare prototype that nobody manufactures, Karl will be offering advice and encouragement.

If you are considering moving to a more accurate gauge then Karl will also be covering re-gauging of rolling stock.

Karl will also provide advice that vexed subject, couplings and in addition to his course will be providing a demonstration about Alex Jackson couplings.

Following the unexpected and very sad death of Mick Bonwick the Autumn weathering course has been reorganised. We had been working with Mick on a handover of the course during the 2021 Autumn weekend but sadly that will now not be possible. This weekend will focus on non-airbrushing techniques using a variety of materials including oils. It is led by highly accomplished modeller, Andrew (Kiwi) Thompson. Andrew has a wide range of interest including US HO modellng:

Andrew Thompson

Although this time we won’t be running a formal airbrushing course I will be co-tutoring in the weathering room and will advise and instruct with airbrushing techniques for those who want to bring their own equipment. My weathering is quite varied in techniques and is mainly done to provide stock for my range of small exhibition layouts.

Chris Hopper weathering

Although when you book we do ask you to opt for one course some of the tutors will provide short demonstrations of particular topics during the weekend and you are free to wander around and see what goes on in the other courses or seek advice from any of the tutors.

We have worked with the Abbey to minimise Covid risks in order to maximise your enjoyment at the Weekend. Details of the measures in place can be found here: Autumn 2021 Weekend Covid-19 Precautions – Missenden Railway Modellers

If you want to know any more, please use the Contact page or just drop me a PM

Contact Us – Missenden Railway Modellers

Happy modelling

Chris Hopper

Last edited: