2mm Modbury

Joe's Garage

Western Thunderer
I am also always amazed at the fact that this is 2mm Ian.
Even in 2 mm West Bay is in fact quite long but it too would make a lovely model.
I think you are cutting yourself short Grahame as your models are a credit to N gauge modelling.
I do like the bucket!
Julian

Phil O

Western Thunderer
I would have liked to have visited, but it's a difficult drive from here, and being an ex Devonport employee, I have to maintain standards!!

The emojis seem to be disabled!

James Spooner

Western Thunderer
Well, I wasn‘t disappointed. Although a 4mm scale modeller myself, Modbury and Drws y Nant were two stunning examples of what can be achieved in 2mm finescale these days. Both featured exquisite modelling, worked well and showed the railway as a part of a wider scenic panorama. Thank you for bringing Modbury to Portsmouth Ian.

Nigel

Ian Smith

Western Thunderer
Thoroughly enjoyed the Portsmouth exhibition!! With just Steve and myself operating for the day, I don't think either of us managed to get a good look at the other exhibits. However, the short time I spent away from Modbury proved that the show was an excellent one with a variety of good quality layouts/scales on offer for the public.

Unfortunately, within the first few minutes of running it was noticed that my Dean Goods had an intermittent short, so we had to deploy John Russell's somewhat out of period Collett Goods for the day, but it is such an excellent and reliable runner that we'd have run it anyway!!

I didn't manage to take many photos of Modbury (and unfortunately none at all of Nigel Ashton's wonderful Drwys-y-Nant), but here are the few I managed :

1.JPG
An overall view of the scenic section before the public were allowed in. Steam Railmotor just departing towards Newton Abbot. Once again, the SRM attracted a lot of interest and favourable comment.

2.JPG
517 tank in charge of a short cattle train departing Modbury.

4.JPG
Prairie (later 45xx) draws a short Plymouth bound pick up goods over the embankment into the station.

5.JPG
A closer view of Prairie and leading wagons of Down Goods train.

Finally, fellow 2mm Association member and friend, Richard Brummitt, provided me with a surprise gift ...

3.JPGA rather beautiful "Beetle" - a diagram W4 Prize Cattle Wagon. Richard said that he took my artwork for the W1/W5 cattle wagon and amended it. I think that is a gross understatement as the only bits recognisable from my original work are the ends and the drop flap side door!! He has 3D printed the body, and "cobbled together" the running gear from various bits of etch. The result is simply stunning and to say that I am thrilled is an understatement - Thank you Richard!! Unfortunately, because Richard uses 3 link couplings (!!!!) on his stock I wasn't able to run it on the day as it will need a set of DG's fitting.

Thank you for looking.
Ian

Ian Smith

Western Thunderer
In order to try to rekindle a bit of modelling mojo, today I have been playing trains having a running session on Modbury. Whilst running a few trains, I also took the opportunity to video a few of the movements. After an hour or two of editing, the result has been uploaded to YouTube :
Thanks for looking.
Ian

Joe's Garage

Western Thunderer
Thank you Ian for posting this video, I am selfishly glad that "finding your mojo" has taking you to producing this film for those of us who were unable to get to exhibitions to see Modbury in the flesh. The steam railmotor, as the whole layout defies the fact that this is 2mm FS!!
Unfortunately I watched this on my phone and cannot wait till I'm back home and watching it on the "big screen" !!
I do like it when you "play trains"...then post the video.
All the best
Julian