Video Models for the movies

Mikemill

Western Thunderer
This is familiar territory for me as I used to have a set and prop construction business in London. A new problem to solve every day, but I enjoyed the challenge. We were commissioned to build a large model of a 747 jumbo jet for a KLM commercial, but only a month before shooting began, no drawings just a few photos so I bought a plastic kit and scaled it up. We finished the model with two days to go, then the phone rang and was told the whole project was cancelled, I asked them what they wanted to do with the model, answer came stick it in the bin!!!

Mike

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
answer came stick it in the bin!!!

An all too often familiar situation. A lot of film models are scrapped, unless they can be repurposed into something different. There’s often nowhere to store them, so they’re just thrown away. To us, as modellers, that sounds appalling, but it is what it is.

I’ve been immersing myself in the Star Trek universe for a while. The DVD box sets I have feature short documentaries about cast, crew and production. There’s actually a massive warehouse in California where props, sets and models are safely stored - often having been rescued from skips, if they’ve not been donated by the production company.

It’s also interesting how many directors prefer miniatures to CGI.

victorianman

Western Thunderer
Brilliant work, and thanks for putting us on to this. A notable number of women involved, too; presumably their friends and partners and enemies don't tell them they are nerdy and socially and emotionally under-developed.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Women doing such tasks does not surprise me one bit. In art school we boys were outnumbered by girls, and young women on day-release monopolised most of the craft classes upstairs. My first job at Calico Printers was tracing designs for for block making, but when I discovered four girls from my class were upstairs at Calico on good money doing the actual designs, I threw the towel in and went in search of better money and more fun!

One only has to look back to the pre-1960's when Britain was a nation on knitters. All my jumpers, cardigans, gloves and scarves were knitted by mum or gran while listening to the radio, and the clothing was equal if not better than commercial products.

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
Thanks, Neil, for finding this film and sharing it. I seem to remember that a scale model of Titanic was built for the movie. I have never seen the movie (is that unusual?) but the model was quite incredible. My memory is not so good but I think the model was destroyed.