Monks Eleigh

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
S7 Group members will have already seen these photos of Michael Brooks' Monks Eleigh. I was commissioned by the Group to photograph the layout, and finally managed to get down to Dorset at the start of December last year. My parents live not far from the layout's home, so I could cadge a bed for the night and do my familial duties at the same time.

I think Richard Kelham, the newsletter editor, was a little overwhelmed with the results. There are plenty more where these came from, but they can await another day. I'd like to have another session, because time just flew by, and I am certain there are more images that can be made.

Enjoy.
_MG_9804.jpg

_MG_9817 edit.jpg

_MG_9830 edit.jpg

_MG_9846 edit.jpg

_MG_9854.jpg

IMG_4504.jpg

IMG_4520 edit.jpg

IMG_4523 edit.jpg

IMG_4526.jpg

IMG_4541.jpg

IMG_4544 edit.jpg

IMG_4577 edit.jpg

IMG_4585 edit.jpg

Wagonman

Western Thunderer
Wonderful images! Can you tell us the origin of the single deck bus model?

I don't know about the origin but it clearly took a wrong turn somewhere. That route went (and still goes) past my front door, a long, long way from Monks Eleigh!

Heather took many wonderful shots that day; she's a very good photographer and her work should have wider exposure – and no, that's not a pun.

Richard

Osgood

Western Thunderer
I hadn't noticed the Norfolk coastal route! One sign of a good photographer is to make the viewer believe they are actually there - I'm just going to wander over to ask that bus driver what he's playing at!!!

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
There are two box tickers for me. The first image for the believable nature of the brick building. The bus photo for the superb rendition of the gravel / cinder surface to the road.

regards, Graham

S

SteveO

That layout is spectacular in every way, and it's been captured perfectly. Amazing attention to detail. I love the shunter driver in his 3-piece and tie - it looks like he's been dragged out of the pub between courses of his Sunday lunch for an urgent bit of wagon shuffling!

Osgood

Western Thunderer
One thing noticeably missing from all of the articles I've seen on Monks Eleigh is a track plan or full layout plan - this would be most helpful in putting the images into context.

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
One thing noticeably missing from all of the articles I've seen on Monks Eleigh is a track plan or full layout plan - this would be most helpful in putting the images into context.
MRJ included a track plan in the first article about the layout - the text in the S7 Newsletter suggests that some changes might have been made since the MRJ article.

Osgood

Western Thunderer
And thanks to the online MRJ index I see it is Issue 106. Duly retrieved from the bookshelf - thanks Dog Star! An article I didn't for some reason read at the time, that set of MRJ will keep me entertained for years at this rate.....

Wagonman

Western Thunderer
I think for me it's the, dare I use the word, 'holistic' approach – everything is to a uniform high standard so the net result is totally believable. Ever since that MRJ issue it has been one of my top 2 or 3 favourite layouts so I was delighted when Michael agreed to write it up for the Newsletter, and even more so when Heather agreed to photograph it. This cat really had got the cream.

Richard

3 LINK

Western Thunderer
Hi Heather,

Have you any shots of the disused track just past the bridge and also up the other end of the layout please, I have the MRJ in which the Monks Eleigh article is in, but this is the first time I have seen the layout in colour. :thumbs:

ATB,

Martyn.

Dave

Western Thunderer
I love the little ex-WDLR Simplex. The weathering effect of the rusted-through bodywork is great (but I can't imagine that half an inch of armour plate would ever rust through ;) ).