Magazine .

Mike W

Western Thunderer
Speaking personally, I absolutely loved MRJ when it first came out, and my father's model of Aylesbury featured in issue No.0, but since moving up-scale there is less in it for me personally and I have not bought it regularly for the last eight years or so. They have said that Gauge 3 is not within their remit. FRM however have said that anything goes and they have an open mind, so I am hopeful and look forward to seeing it tomorrow, at Scaleforum.

Either way, it deserves to succeed.

Mike

iak63

Western Thunderer
My copy of FRMR arrived this morning and on first impressions - nice!!! :cool:
Good articles, well illustrated and with some thought put into it - a full subscription will be forthcoming methinks...

queensquare

Western Thunderer
Who is bashing MRJ? - it is still in another league compared to the mainstream mags. I simply voiced an opinion that in my view it was better in the Tim Shackleton days.

Sorry if I offended by having a view - but of course I forgot about 'sacred cows' and all that cr*p. If people are allowed to constructively criticise kits then surely magazines are fair game too!

DJP

I have no problem at all with constructive criticism or people expressing a view and there are no sacred cows, its comments about this mythical 'establishment clique' and the nonsense notion that MRJ has 'little actual content' that I was referring to.

Jerry

djparkins

Western Thunderer
its comments about this mythical 'establishment clique' and the nonsense notion that MRJ has 'little actual content' that I was referring to

Do you mean like the mythical Geoff Kent, Barry Norman, Gordon Gravett, Don Rowland, Gerry Beale - nothing at all against these fine modellers - but you get the drift, I'm sure.

I did not say that it no longer had content but that there was less in it for me personally. I referred earlier to classic issues like the one Tim edited on the theme of the rail/maritime interface - you just do not see stuff like that anymore in my view. Also there were more drawings in the earlier issues and less pages of photos of someones layout with extended captions.

I liked MRJ for its text content and detailed prototype info. every bit as much as the photos. In my view [excellent mag though it still is] it needs to get that balance back.

DJP

Dikitriki

Flying Squad
Can we please keep this thread for FRMR, as no doubt some interesting posts will be made when members have had time to have a look.

If the MRJ pro/less pro (note I'm not using 'anti') combatants want to slug it out, can they start a dedicated MRJ thread please.

Richard

Dikitriki

Flying Squad
My copy arrived in the post today, and since I subscribed less than 24 hours ago, that's a darned good service.

Unfortunately, I shall have to put it aside for later, but a first glance looks promising.

Richard

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
I was just about to say the same thing! I've had a quick newsagents' flick through, and I have to say I like what I see.

I'll sit down and read properly later.

Simon

Flying Squad
No, Bob isn't putting it through the newstrade.

I have copies on the way just arrived and I think Bob mentioned Tennents and EDM models as being likely stockists.

I am sure there will be more.

It won't be all about GWR "kettles":rolleyes:

I have just leafed through it with a growing sense of pleasure, this is going to a very welcome addition to bookshelves for quite a few of us I think.

Simon

Osgood

Western Thunderer
Looks good. But if there is a difference between the content of this and the equally good MRJ - which as a professional armchair operative I have long supported - the subtlety is at present lost on me. I simply see it as another set of excellent articles - and along the same lines as MRJ and NG&IRM each article either captures one's attention or not, depending on one's interest. Rarely have I been excited by every article in one of the aforementioned magazines, but that is hardly surprising and not to be expected.

I invariably find Railway Bylines incredibly frustrating because there is nearly always one fascinating article or set of photos which I would love to have but I often cannot justify the cost for the rest of the content.

I think I will be quite happy with FRM thank you.

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
... if there is a difference between the content of this and the equally good MRJ - which as a professional armchair operative I have long supported...
Professional armchair modeller!

Have you taken a subscription to "Armchair Modeller" as posted by Jordan? How about reviewing the launch copy of AM... sort of compare and contrast style?

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
Well, having read almost every one of the articles, and skimmed through the one that didn't really interest me, in the first issue, and I can say I approve.

I think I shall subscribe.

Simon

Flying Squad
Speaking personally, I absolutely loved MRJ when it first came out, and my father's model of Aylesbury featured in issue No.0, but since moving up-scale there is less in it for me personally and I have not bought it regularly for the last eight years or so. They have said that Gauge 3 is not within their remit. FRM however have said that anything goes and they have an open mind, so I am hopeful and look forward to seeing it tomorrow, at Scaleforum.

Either way, it deserves to succeed.

Mike

What Mike says strikes a bit of a chord with me, nothing to do with the new magazine but more to do with scale.

Modelling in Gauge One is a bit like doing Gauge Three in that it just isn't covered in any of the magazines, although I like to think it could be, and of course any magazine can only publish material that has been put forward.

One of the things (the main thing?) that appealed to me about WT when Cynric drew my attention to it was the high constructive element of the content and the fact that being (then) predominantly 7mm the techniques being used (not to mention Phill Dyson's bloody brilliant garden railway) were applicable to my aspirations in a way that nothing else was, magazine, society journal or internet based.

So back to magazines, I guess what I'd really love is a mag that caters for and inspires "big finescale including outdoors", the G1MRA newsletter is lovely but useless in this regard, and will remain so in my lifetime, and I guess that the Gauge O Guild journal would quite probably suit me better.

So there is or was the ALRSM and Migo, what happened to them?

Perhaps we need a new magazine "Large Scale Fine Scale Modelling Review" G1 and upwards - any takers, arf arf arf.

All joking apart, there seems to me to be a lot in common between G3 as it is now and G1 as I'd like it to be.....

As for WT, well that's another subject, but in all honesty it doesn't interest me in the same way that it did when Cynric drew me here, and I think what Steve Cook allude to on his earlier thread is something to do with it.

We also seem to have become the Internet arm of the Provisional Scaleseven Brigade, which I have to confess seems out of shape with Cynric's original aims.

Is it perhaps time you chaps set up your own place?

Sorry for sounding so out of sorts but that's just the way it feels this morning!

Simon