New Member's Layout: Schwachhausen

D

DBPETE

Having just joined Western Thunder ( John Dale & Dick Thompson twisted my arm) I thought I ought to post a few pictures of my layout to introduce myself. I model the DB in the early 1960's in O Gauge; the layout is called Schwachhausen.

7272015752_bd7f0c5999_b.jpg

It is a diesel hydraulic, but not necessarily as you know them!

7272017204_9a47649a9a_b.jpg

7272017810_e724778fc5_b.jpg

7272018498_941f77f5da_b.jpg

7272019194_4053933cfa_b.jpg

7272018896_8f719087e2_b.jpg

7272016424_6d7e214e08_b.jpg

If anyone else out there is modelling the DB in O Gauge do make youtselves known!

Peter

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
Great layout Peter & welcome to the forum :)

Was the pic of the weathered tank loco at the terminus buffer stops taken outdoors ? (the lighting is very effective :cool:)

Is a V200 in your loco fleet :cool: & could show/tell us a bit more about your loco's & rolling stock ?........is it kit built or RTR ?.......or a mixture of both?

I think it's really nice to have a German model as part of the forum :):thumbs:

Cheers Phill

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
Welcome aboard!! :)
Now that is something different - at least for this Forum, and probably the UK as a whole - can't say as I've seen a German-outline O Scale layout before.
Lots of Rivarossi, possibly some Lima, I take it?
Jordan,
I suspect more Hubner and Lenz looking at the pics. ;)

Pete,
All lovely stuff - still partial to a bit of German steam myself. Sachsen State in H0 for me though...
Steph

iploffy

OC Blue Brigade
I like it!!!!!!!!!!:thumbs: the German railways have always been a little favorite of mine (to watch not model) but does this mean we have to have continent 51 instead of area 51:))

PS like the colour of the steamer

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
I like it!!!!!!!!!!:thumbs: the German railways have always been a little favorite of mine (to watch not model) but does this mean we have to have continent 51 instead of area 51:))

PS like the colour of the steamer
Area 51 if fine for all non Western stuff :)):thumbs:

D

DBPETE

Many thanks for the kind comments chaps. I model German mainly because it is unusual in the UK; I enjoy the challenge of having to find out about something that is unfamiliar and exhibiting a layout that is not going to be like the one next to it. Another factor is that I build layouts for a living and they are nearly always UK based so I need to have a change for my own modelling.

What kicked off the German modelling was Lenz introducing the V36 about six years ago (think of it as a German 08).... a ready to run 0 Gauge loco with DCC sound, uninterruptable signal processing, automatic uncoupling and so on for a pretty reasonable price. I bought one and was hooked....Lenz now do track, rolling stock, building kits and a range of loco's as well as the DCC control gear so it's become a lot easier. To add variety I have loco's from Kisss, Gebauer, Bundgen and MTH and a set of coaches from MTH, many of them bought second hand. Those in 0 Gauge will know of the Lionheart pannier tank....the Lenz 2-6-2T has more features and costs in the region of £650 which is not a lot more than some HO loco's with sound these days. The Lionheat 2-6-2T due this year is going to be around £1200.

As for the photo's, some were taken at York show this year but yes, I do try to take pictures in natural daylight....for close ups you only need to put up one board, not the whole layout. It always looks best as the shadows are natural.

I haven't got a V200, Phill, the only one that is available is far too expensive for me to consider and really it would be a bit big for Schwachhausen (not that I'd hesitate if a reasonably priced one came up!); my diesels are the V160 and V100 Bo-Bo's, the V36 shunter and the little Kof shunter, all Lenz. Steam loco's are two Br64 2-6-2T, a Br78 4-6-4T, Br44 2-10-0, Br89 0-6-0T and Br 38 4-6-0 in DB livery, plus two preserved Pacifics that I run on the museum train to add some variety, a Bavarian S3/6 and a Baden IVh, (the blue one). It's more than I need to run the layout but in my expereince you need spare loco's...at York two failed needing small repairs that really had to be done in the workshop at home. I was able to put on a spare loco - that's why I have two Pacifics for instance - and keep running a full service. It's peace of mind. I don't build loco's or rolling stock, I stick to buildings and scenery for my own pleasure so being able to buy them ready to run is what tipped the balance....before that I was modelling French narrow gauge in G Scale!

Peter

Western Thunderer
Welcome aboard Pete. :thumbs:

Nice looking layout. Are you booked in at any shows this year ?.

Steve ;)

Tony West

Western Thunderer
Moin !!, welcome to the madhausen Pete.
Saw the layout at Reading ....very nice !!.
Cheers Tony.

adrian

Flying Squad
Having just joined Western Thunder ( John Dale & Dick Thompson twisted my arm) I thought I ought to post a few pictures of my layout to introduce myself.
Don't worry about an introduction, some of us know you of old!! Quite a few fond memories of my time in Wissendine, all the hours spent on "working lunches" with my Dad at the White Lion. Anyway welcome to the madhouse and I hope you find enough here to keep you entertained and it's refreshing to see something different.

p.s. have you made the connection??

D

DBPETE

Hi Adrian, yes, I've got fond memories of sessions in the White Lion and the Noel's Arms too!

Steve, Schwachhausen will be at Southwold in August, Telford GOG show in September, Leeds in October and the NEC in November.

Peter

D

DBPETE

As it's foreign there will probably be ample room in front of the layout at Telford!

Seriously, use it as a meeting place by all means but I'll be next door on my trade stand....I've got a crew of Warley MRC members manning the layout at Telford. I'm going to find it very difficult concentrating on working when people are playing trains!:(

Peter

Western Thunderer
Hi Adrian, yes, I've got fond memories of sessions in the White Lion and the Noel's Arms too!

Steve, Schwachhausen will be at Southwold in August, Telford GOG show in September, Leeds in October and the NEC in November.

Peter

Thanks Pete. :thumbs:

Prob see you at Telford at some point.

Steve ;)

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Very good layout which I have seen at exhibitions with my favourite loco being the BR78:cool: .

My German modelling is mainly DRG and DB/NS in HO but I do have an O scale ET 194.1 LAG 2 axle Triebwagen kit to build though.