Trade New Products

28ten

Guv'nor
TTA tanks from JLTRT

They are from Solidworks, not models. look at the thickness of the headstocks :eek: :eek: same problem as the vans. I just dont understand why they don't do it as an etch :headbang: :headbang:

Dan Randall

Western Thunderer
TTA tanks from JLTRT

28ten said:
They are from Solidworks, not models. look at the thickness of the headstocks :eek: :eek: same problem as the vans. I just dont understand why they don't do it as an etch :headbang: :headbang:

The advert says "Order now to avoid disappointment". I'm sorry, but if the solebarbars and headstocks come out as clunky as those in the images, I would be very disappointed, regardless of when I placed my order. It's just as well I don't actually need any :laugh:

How can they get their diesels so right and their wagons so wrong? :(

Regards

Dan

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
TTA tanks from JLTRT

Dan Randall said:
The advert says "Order now to avoid disappointment". I'm sorry, but if the solebars and headstocks come out as clunky as those in the images, I would be very disappointed, regardless of when I placed my order.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :bowdown:

Almost the exact opposite of Skytrex and Model Express..?!? :scratch:

28ten

Guv'nor
TTA tanks from JLTRT

Dan Randall said:

Regards

Dan
because they insist in using resin even when it is not the most appropriate material. The locos tend not to have the fine edges such as solebars which makes resin the ideal material. The militry chaps use a combination of resin and etches for fine edge detail, but JLTRT have a phobia about soldering brass. :rant: the ideal combination is a brass chassis coupled to a resin body.
All I would say is 'don't believe the hype' :twisted:

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
TTA tanks from JLTRT

28ten said:
but JLTRT have a phobia about soldering brass. :rant: the ideal combination is a brass chassis coupled to a resin body.
All I would say is 'don't believe the hype' :twisted:
I think they are trying to make kits for people who can't build kits :? , and as we all know soldering is the great mysterious 'Black Art' :rolleyes: :laugh: . :scratch: Didn't the first two diesel kits (Hymek & Peak) have metal bogie frames but this was dropped for the later releases as they needed the dreaded :rolleyes: soldering iron . This seems like a step backwards to me as I would like to know what effect hot motors will have on the resin bogie frames?. I think when I do one of these I will either go down the ABC route or cut a big hole in the top & install a etch gearbox like Brian Daniels does .
Just out of interest, has anybody tried or have any opinions on there MK1 kits?.

lancer1027

Western Thunderer
TTA tanks from JLTRT

I agree with everyone. The wagons dont seem to be as well thought out. My mate bought 3 and out of those he had 1 kit that was correct and he could finish the build. One had several bits wrong or missing and the other was a meat wagon. Would have been ok if he wanted a meat wagon so he had to return it as he did'nt :rant: .As regards the Mk1's again my mate bought a RBR to run with his Mk11d's and f's (Eastern region) :shit: Sorry for that guy's,i wont mention the E word again. The RBR is a very nice kit,the mouldings are clean as are the casting etc so overall pretty good, however he had the same problem not all the bits were in the box. Same with the Mk11's

28ten

Guv'nor
TTA tanks from JLTRT

Phill, IMHO cutting a big hole in the bogie is not a good idea it will weaken the bogie probably not a problem on a short track, but my guess is yours will do a few miles :lol:
I have built a Collet coach and essentially the same comments apply - the body is fine the underframe less so.
Phill has hit the nail on the head 'they are trying to make kits for people who can't build kits' what frustrates me is that that they have the potential to be so much more. I could live with the shortcomings if they were a more reasonable price, but if you want a decent Western then they have you over a barrel :twisted:

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
TTA tanks from JLTRT

28ten said:
but if you want a decent Western then they have you over a barrel :twisted:
It's an odd situation when what I would have thought was one of the most popular diesel class's is only represented by one tired old kit & the JLTRT one, when so many other class's are duplicated by a number of manufacturers :(

28ten

Guv'nor
TTA tanks from JLTRT

Phill Dyson said:
[quote=""28ten"":k6x2x2a3] but if you want a decent Western then they have you over a barrel :twisted:
It's an odd situation when what I would have thought was one of the most popular diesel class's is only represented by one tired old kit & the JLTRT one, when so many other class's are duplicated by a number of manufacturers :([/quote:k6x2x2a3]
I now what you mean, how many Deltics and class 33 have there been? Im amazed nobody has produced a class 66 or at the more interesting end of the spectrum some DMU's. I dont think i will ever understand the o gauge trade.

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
TTA tanks from JLTRT

28ten said:
Phill has hit the nail on the head 'they are trying to make kits for people who can't build kits'
Yes, that does some it up very well.

As for a lack of Western models; well people just haven't seen the light, have they..? Maybe if the Westerns had been a small Class of about 22 locos, and lasted into the '80s or even '90s, they'd have gained the perceived 'status' of the Deltics..?

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
TTA tanks from JLTRT

Jordan said:
As for a lack of Western models; well people just haven't seen the light, have they..? Maybe if the Westerns had been a small Class of about 22 locos, and lasted into the '80s or even '90s, they'd have gained the perceived 'status' of the Deltics..?
:scratch:mmm.... I'm not sure about that Jordan, are Deltics more popular than Westerns ?

28ten

Guv'nor
TTA tanks from JLTRT

Phill Dyson said:
[quote=""Jordan"":1f4850bo]

:scratch:mmm.... I'm not sure about that Jordan, are Deltics more popular than Westerns ?[/quote:1f4850bo]
Deltics do seem disproportionately popular with manufacturers. maybe its because the proportions/lines are a bit less complicated that Westerns and Warships ? :laugh:

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
TTA tanks from JLTRT

28ten said:
[quote=""Phill Dyson"":23k0b5r7][quote=""Jordan"":23k0b5r7]

:scratch:mmm.... I'm not sure about that Jordan, are Deltics more popular than Westerns ?[/quote:23k0b5r7]
Deltics do seem disproportionately popular with manufacturers. maybe its because the proportions/lines are a bit less complicated that Westerns and Warships ? :laugh:[/quote:23k0b5r7]
:lol: yes maybe so, I know that at the diesel galas that I go to, it's the Westerns that pull the crowds ;) :cool: :cool: :cool:

28ten

Guv'nor
TTA tanks from JLTRT

Phill Dyson said:
:lol: yes maybe so, I know that at the diesel galas that I go to, it's the Westerns that pull the crowds ;) :cool: :cool: :cool:

What do you expect at hydraulic galas? :lol: :lol:
FWIW i think Deltics are overrated never did anything for me, but then neither did Gresley :D

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
TTA tanks from JLTRT

28ten said:
[quote=""Phill Dyson"":1l26oyf2]

What do you expect at hydraulic galas? :lol: :lol: [/quote:1l26oyf2]
I was actually referring to all types diesel galas :rolleyes: :lol: :lol: :lol:

lancer1027

Western Thunderer
TTA tanks from JLTRT

Deltic's have never been proper diesels :lol: MAYBACH ALL THE WAY :thumbs: I agree with Phill, Westerns do seem to pull the crowds. That reminds me hands up who's going to the WSR gala in June. :thumbs: :oops: Sorry Jordan :shit:

iploffy

OC Blue Brigade
TTA tanks from JLTRT

I will let you into a little secret the diesels are drawn for Mr Waterman by a friend of mine, all of the masters are CNC milled by the same friend, I know i have seen what he does it took nearly 2 months of computer work just to program the CNC miller but he does not do the wagons "too expensive" as he told me how much they cost as I asked him to do a front end of an EMU for me and fell of the seat when he told me.

Ian

28ten

Guv'nor
TTA tanks from JLTRT

iploffy said:
I will let you into a little secret the diesels are drawn for Mr Waterman by a friend of mine, all of the masters are CNC milled by the same friend, I know i have seen what he does it took nearly 2 months of computer work just to program the CNC miller but he does not do the wagons "too expensive" as he told me how much they cost as I asked him to do a front end of an EMU for me and fell of the seat when he told me.

Ian
Send him my compliments for some very fine drawing work, he has really captured the look of a Western. Could you also give him a nudge, and ask him to do the 117 :D :D
The problem with the wagons, is using resin or whitemetal where etched brass would be a more appropriate material.

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Peter Clark BR Class 419 MLV kit

I bought one of the first of these kits at the MIGO 2008 exhibition at Chester, in fact it was so new that a number of castings were not included as Peter had not received them back from the manufacturer and I was given them at Guildex a few months later.

The kit comes in a stout cardboard box which will hold the completed kit without any bother. The etches are in 15 thou brass and the castings are mainly white metal. Motor, gears and wheels are not included, but are available from Peter. The instructions are 'generic' to other Southern Multiple Units and therefore a certain amount of research has to be done before commencing any work. I had already done quite a bit, so it was not a problem. There was a list of the etches and castings but no drawings or sketches were in the included showing identification/location of the castings in particular. There were several pages of coloured photos showing details on the test model, but unfortunately, my copies were unreadable. The quality and fit of the etches was very good and that of the whitemetal castings was reasonable - no duff ones.

I produced my own location drawings and commented on/amended the instructions as I went, most things were obvious and would not present any problems to the average modeller, the main thing was that the aperture for the motor was nowhere near big enough and there was no mention of this in the instructions. and at the end of the day, was quite happy with the result.

During the construction phase, I had a few telephone conversations with Peter and things were sorted out quickly. As a result of these conversations, I not only receiveda better quality set of the detail model photos, but also a CD with over 100 detail photos of one of the prototypes, which as you can imagine was a bonus.

Having generated so much material during the build of my model, I then went the next step and re-wrote the instructions and produced a full set of casting identification and location drawings and handed them to Peter on a CD when I saw him at the following Guildex - when I bought another kit - the subject of the Workbench thread

I hope that I have not put anyone off as at the end of the day, you get a good model without too much hassle and at a reasonable cost.

[attachment=0:pb7v3uzf]DSCF2674.JPG[/attachment:pb7v3uzf]

regards

Mike

Attachments

• DSCF2674.JPG
    DSCF2674.JPG
    115 KB · Views: 62