Trade New Products

djparkins

Western Thunderer
Heljan to do a Class 31...?

Who was it who said; ".......it was hard to imagine that anyone re-painting completely a Heljan loco..." ? Did I miss something?

All the best,

CME :wave:[/quote]

Hi CME -

Well as I said, it was not verbatim but

<<Hi Simon,

I am with Tony Wright's philosophy on this aspect of the matter in that I wouldnt wish to re-paint a RTR factory painted model if at all possible - may as well make a kit and paint it my self otherwise...

CME >>

But as I say, there seem to several who do wish to repaint. The 47 is probably a very paricular case of course, as there are just so many Class 47 liveries to chose from and most will never be offered as a factory finish - leaving many with option but to repaint!

Regards,

DJP

28ten

Guv'nor

Simon Dunkley said:
[quote=""Phill Dyson"":17gynl1q]I would still like to see more Hydraulics produced in either RTR or quality kits rather than being reliant on JLTRT, but pehaps they are poor sellers judging by the lack of alternatives :scratch:
I think the problem is that hydraulics are a bit of a "marmite" subject: people either love them, or they don't. And of course there is the geographical restrictions (I am aware of inter-regional workings, but these were not that common) which basically mean if you model, for example, the midland lines of the former Midland Railway, then there is little scope for the appearance of a Warship, whereas if you model the WR in the 60s, you can run a 47, etc[/quote:17gynl1q]
that sounds like a Deltic to me !!

djparkins

Western Thunderer

28ten said:

Yes 28ten - but a Deltic is Eastern Region, which of course makes it superior to anything WR - as the heir to those Gresley Pacifics. Already running for cover!!!

DJP

marsa69

Western Thunderer

Yes 28ten - but a Deltic is Eastern Region, which of course makes it superior to anything WR - as the heir to those Gresley Pacifics. Already running for cover!!!

hahahahahahahah someone else to deflect the flak from me and ploffy :lol: cheers david :thumbs:

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer

28ten said:
[quote=""Simon Dunkley"":qoja95m2][quote=""Phill Dyson"":qoja95m2]I would still like to see more Hydraulics produced in either RTR or quality kits rather than being reliant on JLTRT, but pehaps they are poor sellers judging by the lack of alternatives :scratch:
I think the problem is that hydraulics are a bit of a "marmite" subject: people either love them, or they don't. And of course there is the geographical restrictions (I am aware of inter-regional workings, but these were not that common) which basically mean if you model, for example, the midland lines of the former Midland Railway, then there is little scope for the appearance of a Warship, whereas if you model the WR in the 60s, you can run a 47, etc[/quote:qoja95m2]
that sounds like a Deltic to me !![/quote:qoja95m2]
Yes the regional issue doesn't seem to apply with some of Heljans choices, ie Deltic & class 26,27 & 33...........I wonder if the Hymek achieved poor sales judging by the fact that some BSYP Hymeks are still available form the first batch ...........perhaps I will have to stick to JLTRT for my future Hydraulics :scratch:
I think the Hymek was a somewhat bizarre choice on Heljans part for a first dip in 7mm waters & perhaps this has coloured there judgement with regard to Diesel Hydraulics which is a great shame IMO as I'm sure a Western would be a popular choice :( .

Cheers Phill :wave:

P.S. I would like to see a Peak & class 25 too (multi-regional & long lived )

S

Simon Dunkley

Phill Dyson said:
Yes the regional issue doesn't seem to apply with some of Heljans choices, ie Deltic & class 26,27 & 33...........I wonder if the Hymek achieved poor sales judging by the fact that some BSYP Hymeks are still available form the first batch ...........perhaps I will have to stick to JLTRT for my future Hydraulics :scratch:
I think the Hymek was a somewhat bizarre choice on Heljans part for a first dip in 7mm waters & perhaps this has coloured there judgement with regard to Diesel Hydraulics which is a great shame IMO as I'm sure a Western would be a popular choice :( .

P.S. I would like to see a Peak & class 25 too (multi-regional & long lived )
Well, the 26 was initially allocated to ER, and 27s went to (N?)ER and LMR, and the 33s worked the Cardiff-Crewe service in the 80s, latterly along to Holyhead, as well as to Barnstaple, etc. It was only about 1970 that the 26s and 27s were sent north of the border, and I expect the sheds which got Derby's products as replacements were none too happy about that. They are also popular models - with prototypical justification for short trains - in most scales.

Interesting remark about the Hymek: it was also in the Tri-ang catalogue for a long time: was this the only 4mm scale hydraulic, or did Trix do anything (and if so, was that 3.8mm scale, as per Fleischmann's misguided effort)? It was also the prototype chosen for the Big-Big range.

Personally, I think it looks superb - I have never really taken to the Whizzos, preferring the 22s out of the rest of the DH range.
Maybe the Hymek didn't sell well enough? Interestingly, the blue Bachmann 03s have not sold as well: maybe green diesels sell better as they appeal to steam era modellers, too. Maybe if they had done a Western, that would have sold better?

Who knows? Certainly not me!

28ten

Guv'nor

djparkins said:
[quote=""28ten"":3je334ic]

DJP[/quote:3je334ic]
Ill have you know I have built a Finney A4 and an A3 in my time :laugh: :laugh:

iploffy

OC Blue Brigade

Now,now,now calm it down girls no biting, pulling hair and most of all no nails :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer

iploffy said:
Now,now,now calm it down girls no biting, pulling hair and most of all no nails :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
I know..!! :rolleyes: I only mentioned Heljan are likely to do a 31... just how far Off Topic has this thread gone..?!?! :shock: :oops: :shit:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer

djparkins said:
but a Deltic is Eastern Region, which of course makes it superior to anything WR - as the heir to those Gresley Pacifics. Already running for cover!!!

DJP
The Eastern Region runs past the bottom of my garden...........but I prefer the Western Region that runs round it :thumbs:

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer

CME & Bottlewasher said:
[quote=""Jordan"":23fpgic8][quote=""iploffy"":23fpgic8]Now,now,now calm it down girls no biting, pulling hair and most of all no nails :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
I know..!! :rolleyes: I only mentioned Heljan are likely to do a 31... just how far Off Topic has this thread gone..?!?! :shock: :oops: :shit:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:[/quote:23fpgic8]

Hi Jordan :wave:

+ 1 :thumbs:

That and me being mis-quoted and misunderstood it's like an evening in with SWMBO :eek: :eek: :headbang: :headbang: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers,

CME :wave:[/quote:23fpgic8]

Not that bad, surely.?!? :shock: :? :lol: :lol:
Must admit I didn't make it clear in my post (quoted here) that I wasn't actually complaining about the thread going OT. :oops: Not sure if this is one of the threads implied in "A Gentle Reminder"... :oops:

rosspeacock

Modelling on a £1200 table.

Hi All, I've kept out of this one :scratch: :scratch: Been really funny to read though :laugh: :vista: Anyway Jordan I think a 31 would be really nice and think I'd buy one (green :shit: ) anyway, so ill watch this space..... :thumbs: Ross..

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer

rosspeacock said:
I think a 31 would be really nice and think I'd buy one (green :shit: ) anyway, so ill watch this space..... :thumbs: Ross..
You might be better off with a MMP one :scratch:

Phill :wave:

rosspeacock

Modelling on a £1200 table.

Phill Dyson said:
[quote=""rosspeacock"":ylkfxlyh] I think a 31 would be really nice and think I'd buy one (green :shit: ) anyway, so ill watch this space..... :thumbs: Ross..

Phill :wave:[/quote:ylkfxlyh]
Nah, know they are top kits but I just cant be bothered to make anything at the moment :headbang: Ross...

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer

rosspeacock said:
[quote=""Phill Dyson"":39p7ree0][quote=""rosspeacock"":39p7ree0] I think a 31 would be really nice and think I'd buy one (green :shit: ) anyway, so ill watch this space..... :thumbs: Ross..

Phill :wave:[/quote:39p7ree0]
Nah, know they are top kits but I just cant be bothered to make anything at the moment :headbang: Ross...[/quote:39p7ree0]
Fair enough, I know what you mean, with along list of kits to build myself I feel the same about getting more ;)

Phill :wave:

28ten

Guv'nor

Phill Dyson said:
Nah, know they are top kits but I just cant be bothered to make anything at the moment :headbang: Ross...
Fair enough, I know what you mean, with along list of kits to build myself I feel the same about getting more ;)

Phill :wave:[/quote]
thats a fair point :thumbs: Im not buying any more kits until I have either sold or built some of what I have. I do wonder if it is the lack of spare time that is driving the RTR sales - similarly with JLTRT 'wagon in a weekend' kits. the experts say we have more leisure time im not so sure.

djparkins

Western Thunderer

Phill :wave:[/quote]
thats a fair point :thumbs: Im not buying any more kits until I have either sold or built some of what I have. I do wonder if it is the lack of spare time that is driving the RTR sales - similarly with JLTRT 'wagon in a weekend' kits. the experts say we have more leisure time im not so sure.[/quote]

Well if what we hear about cuts & the economy is true - many people are going to have a lot more time but not so much money for a while!

Regards,

DJP

lancer1027

Western Thunderer
JLRT Class 08?

Hi CME, the one on the JLTRT stand at Telford had a price of ?375 i think or ?395 cant remember apart from the fact that i was suprised :eek: at the price.

Rob :wave: